Eric is Quiet

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

What's there to defend, movie is released in countries other than USA, where it'll make around 1.2-1.4 billion.

I mean...is it? I have had very little interest in the movie or its run, but the international opening seemed good, but not what was expected. So even with the clear schedule ahead, is 1.4 billion OS actually doable? It sorta seems like "great, but not what you expect as the follow-up to the movie that has grossed almost 3 billion WW" has been the refrain throughout, not just domestically.

Anyway, we're probably looking at one amazing record - first sequel to drop a billion from its immediate predecessor. That'll be nice.

3 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

What's there to defend, movie is released in countries other than USA, where it'll make around 1.2-1.4 billion.

USA is just bonus, if China was at full strength, this one would've been highest grossing movie of 2022 just by overseas gross.

"The movie is gonna to have great leg" This is a theory I tried to defend, and I just found something.

$16.2m is actually -5% from A2's Thursday while RO first Monday is -39% from Thursday preview. 

:sparta: 

• Astonished 2

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Those are not fans, are you trolling?

He (?) already posted several tweets attacking the movie for it's problems, bring an old tweet "exposing" Cameron for a 10 year-old interview with Playboy, and now this video that everyone knows are not from fans. 

Maybe not trolling, but certainly is someone with strong negative feelings towards Cameron and everything he does.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Under A1's first Monday which was 16.4M and A1 was coming off a 24.7M Sunday and not 36.6M Sunday like A2 just had. 

With weekdays like this, it will need to have a pretty stellar second weekend (with allowances made for Christmas) to establish itself as a leggy run.

7 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

ROTK had only one ending. I never understood the idea that it takes too long to end. 

I watched RotK extended edition a year or so back and the epilogue breezed by for me. There isn’t a scene wasted in that sequence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

He (?) already posted several tweets attacking the movie for it's problems, bring an old tweet "exposing" Cameron for a 10 year-old interview with Playboy, and now this video that everyone knows are not from fans. 

Maybe not trolling, but certainly is someone with strong negative feelings towards Cameron and everything he does.

Isn't he the guy which used to have an Endgame pfp? He's probably fuming that Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

if we just chill alongside Rogue one for december, we'll be well ahead of top gun maverick.

Just be patient my friend

Rogue One made ~$400M by Dec 31, Avatwo continuing to track along it would be ~$350M, needing another $370M to top TGM. TFA made "only" $284M after turn of the year (NWH $232M), coming off a much higher baseline over the holidays

The original Avatar made $466M in the next year, but off a $68.5M third weekend (6.8x).  If Avatwo has a $50M third weekend (unlikely, would be ahead of RO), and legs out the same, that's still only $340 from 1/1 and beyond, leaving it short

At some point, have to accept the reality in front of you rather than that you wish it were

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Eric The Last Airbender said:

See I don't understand that argument either. They clearly denote that this isn't the end and no ending except the true one works thematically. They do well setting up there's still more to wrap up.

1 minute ago, cookie said:

I watched RotK extended edition a year or so back and the epilogue breezed by for me. There isn’t a scene wasted in that sequence.

Lets also not forget that in the book, after Saurons defeat there is a whole other little storyarc with a Shire civil war because Saruman established his new reign there. If ROTK actually adapted that as well, the film would have another 30 mins probably added to it lol

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Reacting to what is trending about the film is being negative towards the film now? This was posted today. The Cameron interview was trending at r/movies. And no, I don’t hate Cameron. This clearly isn’t a good look tho. But yes… meltdowns.

:Venom:

• Disbelief 1

See overall what I think, just my own perspective after watching the movie and some trends I have seen at box office,

1. It doesn't have the novelty of being something fully new. Avatar was new for people so they were just totally fascinated. Technological advancements just don't matter that much to people as much as some here would like to think.

2. The runtime is long but this movie doesn't have the high points for audience to immerse into the movie and forget about it. If you are making a 3hr movie better have some high points in some way to keep audience entertained. MOVIES ARE ENTERTAINMENT, especially the tentpoles one.

3. The script was just there. See there is nothing wrong in having a simple script if everything adds up to entertainment (Avatar 1 did it well). But this time it just didn't work.

4. James Cameron can only do so much. I hope A3 knocks it out of the park in story department and this franchise survives

• Like 4

Honestly, i feel we probably would be getting some signs if A2 is about to turn into a super leggy run. 

So far, just very standard. The runtime is obviously a question and the movie should benefit a lot of next week because of that, which is why i still bet the multiplier will be over 4x. 

But anything beyond that is looking like a wishful thinking atp. It should end with a $ 550M which is still a very good gross, even if under predictions and reason for a lot of clickbaits. 

Overseas otherwise is looking super healthy, maybe it can compensate some frustration about US performance.

• Like 4