Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

4 minutes ago, XXR Krampus Claus said:

Yea there's no way domestic marketing is less than half of BP. In the few days leading up to OD I was literally seeing commercials for it every 30 minutes. 

This isn't about how much Disney spent (as noted by what I bolded), but this is a sign of the overall advertiser reach:

‘Avatar: The Way Of Water’s $170M+ Promo Push, Led By Mercedes-Benz & More, Rides Sequel’s Opening Wave

anthony-dalessandro-1.jpg?w=60

Anthony D'Alessandro

Editorial Director/Box Office Editor

@AwardsTony

EXCLUSIVE: Buttressing the $441.6M global opening of Avatar: The Way of Water this past weekend –the 11th best ever– is a curated promo partner campaign assembled by Disney; a lineup that reflects the eco-friendly and technologically advanced sensibilities of the James Cameron directed epic.

All in, the value of media which advertisers paid for here is estimated to be $170M+ per sources, a figure that’s higher than the $100M promo campaigns of Marvel Studios’ Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and Eternals, but lower than that of last year’s Spider-Man: No Way Home which counted over $220M in media value from its ad partners. This, of course, doesn’t include any direct marketing spend by Disney for trailers or TV/digital ad spots.

Unlike other tentpole promo partner campaigns, the filmmaking team behind Avatar 2, read director James Cameron and producer Jon Landau, were intimately involved here. And while this is a shorter list of advertisers then we’d find with a Marvel campaign, the brands involved in the sequel had massive ad spend commitments (more than an average tentpole), reaching an array of demos. Even though the sequel was greenlit under the prior Rupert Murdoch-led Fox era, all of the advertisers here were queued up by Disney. 

Gonna keep digging for a PR budget link

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

iSpot estimates that Disney spent over $23M in U.S. TV spots (plus another near $7M in co-branded spots), ranking up there with other big pics this year, including Black Panther: Wakanda Forever ($27M plus another $41M in co-branded spots), and Jurassic World Dominion $42.3 million (boosted by a Super Bowl trailer, plus another $24.1 million in co-branded spots.

Okay, that's an iSpot estimate, which I wouldn't take as gospel.

All I can tell you is that I personally saw a LOT of advertising so as I said before, that doesn't sound right.

40 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

5k PTA is brutal for Women Talking. MGM whiffed their Q4 slate.

Bones and All more or less lived up to its expectations, it's just that it cost too much for a movie that sounded like a niche product even on paper. They were wise to scrap Women Talking's Christmas Day wide release (it's now going wide January 20 according to Deadline FYI), it was always destined to struggle to connect (tough subject matter + a bad and un-marquee-friendly title, even if it's the same as the book) but it would've flopped something ugly had it stayed where it was.

Edited by filmlover

11 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Deadline Hollywood

All titles today at the Christmas box office look to make $39.3M, +77% of Christmas Eve’s downer $22.2M (which was off 26% from Friday). Christmas day looks to be off 32% from the holiday a year ago when Spider-Man: No Way Home was on the marquee, Omicron raged, and there were better weather conditions.

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

$40.8M

jurassic park GIF by IFC

14 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

$40.8M

is this confirmation that disneys first estimate was right?

dont know how else to read that

Edited by interiorgatordecorator