Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

45 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I actually think that 

Hide contents

The rise of T’Challa 

might make even more than the first one. I hate how the usual suspects of the internet behaved after Chadwick Boseman’s passing. I hated having to fight and argue online that recasting T’Challa was just plainly wrong. You don’t recast T’Challa, he is unlike all the other superhero characters that came before, and this is coming from a massive Spider-Man and Superman fan. Black Panther’s mythology is and always has been about ancestry, about legacy, about belonging, about the African diaspora. You don’t dilute this, and while I understand those that in good faith pleaded that the new generations needed T’Challa as well, I was confident that Coogler and his team would find an way of making that work because it’s all there, from the source material to the first filme they made.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Wakanda Forever. But it is a tough film. It is a downer, despite how aesthetically it’s way more action oriented than even the first film, it’s a tough film not because it doesn’t work, but because losing T’Challa and Chadwick was real, it actually happened. We endured campaigns attacking Chadwick’s legacy, attacking Coogler and rightfully criticizing Wright throughout all of this. Everyone in WF put their heart into it. Wright acted her ass off and it might be her best performance of all time. I know 100% that Chadwick wherever he is, he is proud of his legacy and how his friends and family pushed forward.

The feeling that we were robbed doesn’t mean that we didn’t get something special. It’s just that in context of the actual film and what they had to adjust to, it makes you reflect harder on what could have been. But like T’Challa says…

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Well said Wakanda Forever is actually for me a Success and ended the Phaso 4 on a high note with the best film of them all (NWH included). I did not like how disrespectfull people have been like recast, recast blah blah like is nothing. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Totally opposite weather on the west coast. But that could bring its own problems too right, sunny and 27C in winter? I'd rather go to the beach than go see a movie.

UMzpHzG.png

That’s fairly common weather for SoCal year round. 

1 minute ago, XXR It's 2 Damn Cold Out said:

That’s fairly common weather for SoCal year round. 

Something that just occurred me, what lab is describing here is almost inconceivable during the winter where I live, but regular in places like Rio de Janeiro and our northeast. Do people in LA go to beaches even during the winter? Or nah lol 

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Something that just occurred me, what lab is describing here is almost inconceivable during the winter where I live, but regular in places like Rio de Janeiro and our northeast. Do people in LA go to beaches even during the winter? Or nah lol 

They can, yes. It's less common than during summer of course because even if the air temperatures are good the water may be a bit cold. I think in the Miami area there's a bit more winter beach going. 

1 minute ago, wboxoffice said:

So what are now the expectations for Friday and the rest of the weekend based on those previews numbers?  Is 10 million for the 4-day out of the question?

For Whitney? I expect 6-6.5M 3-Day and probably 2.8-3.3M Monday so I'd say 10M is unlikely but not out of the question :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XXR It's 2 Damn Cold Out said:

They can, yes. It's less common than during summer of course because even if the air temperatures are good the water may be a bit cold. I think in the Miami area there's a bit more winter beach going. 

Understood. People in RJ and our northeast are cray, it’s beach time virtually 12 months. I did suspect that that would possibly be less regular in the LA area for some reason. Here we don’t go during our winter for similar reasons.

3 hours ago, AJG said:

LOOOOOL NepoBaby Prime has spoken

Edit: whilst I’m still on this - we need to be honest with Denzel Washington about his son. He ain’t got it.

The #NepoBaby "debate" has always been reductive and annoying... A bunch of children learned a new word and obliterated it into meaninglessness through obnoxious overuse. Every profession has always had nepotism; the world doesn't care when it's plumbers or family restaurants. But people think of Hollywood like a dream factory where anyone from the sticks could go there and make it, and the presence of "nepo babies" reminds them that the industry is more factory than dream.

Take any day of TCM's schedule and pretty much every movie will feature at least one "nepo baby" (by the modern definition, which seems extremely loose) forgotten to time, if not more. Even before there were movies, the stage was the same way. John Wilkes Booth was a nepo baby!

When they were coming up, people knew Drew Barrymore, Liza Minnelli, Jeff Bridges, et al came from famous families, but weren't screaming into the void about it all day, or expecting them to publicly flagellate themselves in acknowledgement of their privilege. It was like, "Oh, they're carrying on the family legacy? Cool, let's see if they can hack it."

People forget the nepotism cases who got big breaks and couldn't cut it. Remember Cody Horn in Magic Mike? A lot of the nepo babies Gen Z is worked up about now, they're not going to last as stars. A lot of the non-nepo babies pushed as the next big thing in music or acting, also won't live up to the hype and will fade away. And some people who are extremely talented will toil in obscurity. It's the nature of the business. The fame game has never, ever been fair.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ah, I love Christmas shopping two days before Christmas.

No really, I do! A lot less boring than getting it all done in the fall or something. The mall is packed and the theatre is surprisingly bustling as well. Clearly the idea of settling in at home days before Christmas isn't a thing.

24 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I could not imagine going to the beach in winter. Not that it's a bad thing, I just struggle to picture it because I have never been anywhere remotely.warm.enough this time of year. Snow and cold weather is all I know at Christmas/wintertime.

45 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Understood. People in RJ and our northeast are cray, it’s beach time virtually 12 months. I did suspect that that would possibly be less regular in the LA area for some reason. Here we don’t go during our winter for similar reasons.

Looks a little busy...

livecam:

https://www.livebeaches.com/webcams/venice-v-hotel-sidewalk-webcam/

• Astonished 1