Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

32 minutes ago, Cap said:

And, we just lost power. 🙃

Wishing you the best, it's terrible. I lost my power last Friday, thankfully it was only for a day, however some of my moms friends had their power lost for days, and we wound up letting them use our shower. Definitely not a good thing to experience. 

• Like 1

People who think there is no effect of storm must be either those who are living outside US or those that are in states where the storm is minimal.  There are parts of country where few millions have lost power, parts of country where the wind chills are crazy right now....this isn't normal or something that happens every year

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I mean i think its pretty clear that the theater landscape pre-Covid is dead and will never return. In these last few years too many people changed their viewing habits, streaming has established itself as the primary choice for movie consumption - especially so in animation. Going forward i do think theaters will see an uptick in ticket sales next year but it will probably be a small one and it wont be enough to change the current trajectory: That cinema will eventually reduce itself to only-tentpole fare, while the small-budget and mid-budget movies will inevitably one day only be found on streaming plattforms.

You're not wrong, but streaming definitely is going through something of a reckoning figuring out which shows are actually profitable, and I don't know if the landscape on the other side will be as pretty. 

It sucks that the whole process is so opaque.

Nothing really surprising here between the storms and the fact moviegoing usually picks up after Christmas (though Whitney and Babylon seem locked for underwhelming totals considering their budgets at this point - hardly surprising given the struggles of adult movies this fall + their mediocre/mixed reviews and little buzz doing nothing to excite anyone). If Avatar manages $80M+ 4-day like Deadline is projecting that would put it on a solid course for the rest of the holidays IMO.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

Do you also play Overwatch or Apex Legends?

I was a Reaper / Lúcio Diamond back in ‘16 lol, not so sure anymore. Never played Apex and I have yet to play OW2 tho. Add me on your gaming platforms, it’s ZattMurdock on PS5 / Steam!

• Thanks 1

I think I found a mistake in Deadline's most recent reporting. 

"Second belongs to Universal/Dreamworks Animation’s Puss in Boots: The Last Wish with $3.75M today at 4,099 theaters, +29% from yesterday, for a $11M 3-day, $17.2M 4-day and 6-day of $24.1M."

It states the 3-day will likely be $11M so that means $11M + $6.1M =$17.1M 5-day. It says the 6-day will be $24.1M so Monday holiday will be $24.1M - $17.1M = $7M

But it says the 4-day will be $17.2M. Meaning the Monday holiday should be $17.2M - $11M = $6.2M

Two different results for the same day.

Not only that but if you subtract the 6-day from the 4-day it doesn't get the $6.1M already gathered from Wednesday and Thursday. 

$24.1M - $17.2M = $6.9M

So what the fuck Deadline?!

Edited by Alex SciChannel

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

FRIDAY AFTERNOON UPDATE:

20th Century/Disney’s Avatar: The Way of Water is pacing 37% ahead of yesterday’s revised $14.6M for a $20M Friday, which will put it on track for $83M 4-day, -45% from the pic’s first 4 days. Hopefully, the sequel will hit $90M at 4,202 theaters, if business shifts. That will put the pic’s 11-day box office at $280.7M

oof

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I can confirm that people are out and about doing plenty of stuff in super cold weather today. I went to 2 different stores because the heater in our house was not working properly. We were trying to find space heaters. Luckily the 2nd store had some, but the 1st store was sold out. Both stores were absolutely jam-packed with people shopping for Christmas stuff at the last minute. The "feels like" temperature was less than 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Pretty damn cold. 

There is a difference between braving the cold for something with a hard deadline like Xmas and opting to take in a leisure activity like movies, which aren’t going anywhere for at least 2 weeks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, M37 said:

There is a difference between braving the cold for something with a hard deadline like Xmas and opting to take in a leisure activity like movies, which aren’t going anywhere for at least 2 weeks 

Christmas shopping is a luxury in and of itself. I couldn’t believe so many people were at the stores today. Sounds like Avatar is doing just fine based on Deadline’s report. 

Yeah  I'm looking out my window and it's a fucking blizzard outside. Even in Canada that's "don't go outside" weather. And in some places authorities are actually telling people to stay inside.  I think if you see 20M as just ok or bad, you might be in for a surprise in the coming weekdays once things go back to normal.

Just logged on for a second. We are definitely getting a 🥰 emoji cause I need it for you are. 

Back to box office. ATOM is showing the 10:30PM show of Avatar was cancelled at my IMAX. I’ll check in to see if they still kept the 730, cause I think that was the ones my friends are going to. But I would not be shocked if the late night number is coming really low because everything is closed early.

• Like 2