Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

15 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Kinda wish I faced the frozen tundra to see avatar today. Stayed home with fam to watch Glass Onion. Sort of fun movie with little of the charm of Knives Out. Crazy how same writer, director, and star character can feel so different.  I guess the autumn New England setting was a huge part of the appeal or maybe the characters. Who knows everyone seems to like glass onion. 

I am right here with you buddy, GO was a huge step down and did not really recapture that KO magic of the setting, characters, and plot.  

Taking a step down from KO still leaves you with a perfectly enjoyable little mystery comedy but the billionaire island thing just wasn’t the setting for me. Expecting Ko3 to be somewhere in between.

Edited by Legion in Boots
  • Thanks 1

It is so boring to keep talking about how the shut downs hurt theatrical film going. It hurt it, we know. We have to deal with the new normal of less people going to theaters. There's nothing much more to say about it right now.

Anyway,  even without the Storm Babylon was going to flop. It's a 3 hour movie about old Hollywood with mixed reviews starring Margot Robbie. She better hope Barbie succeeds because she is looking like straight up poison right now. It's giving Michael Fassbender.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

22 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

‘Avatar’ Struggles Show How Japan Is Ditching Hollywood

Article from TWP seems to have covered some good points.

Here is the full analysis on it's Failure - https://taroimovie.com/avatar2/

Good analysis. 👍👍👍

49 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Avatar: The Way of Water Declared 'Not Suitable for Chinese Audiences'

I can understand why Japan ditch Hollywood, their local fare are quite top notch but in what hell China film industry has the right to say that?? Most of their production are full of propaganda BS with mostly overrated production quality. That is why they never appeal OS, not even HK and Taiwan. Even movies from India has a better overseas appeal. 

19 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's good for Avatar and not far off from what I was expecting pre-weekdays. Puss will manage fine in the end too. Whitney and Babylon are flops.

Yeah, an 80-90 4-day when Saturday & Sunday are Christmas Eve & Day still has me in an “I’m not sure where this movie is headed” mindset.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's good for Avatar and not far off from what I was expecting pre-weekdays. Puss will manage fine in the end too. Whitney and Babylon are flops.

Puss in Boots 2 has a 90 million budget and God only knows how much in P&A so it probably won't be profitable.  Whitney & Babylon are not in the same category because Babylon has a much bigger budget.  I'm interested to see the international numbers first for all these movies.  I feel that Puss in Boots 2 and Whitney could end up being somewhere in the middle (basically being neither a hit or flop) depending on how they do in the upcoming weeks, but Babylon unfortunately is a flop and has zero chance...

Edited by wboxoffice

Shit! Babylon is the bomb of all bombs. Its four-day gross is going to be below the three day for Amsterdam. That is a catastrophe, especially since it is the Christmas season. If Barbie is not a huge grosser, then they are probably going to pivot to some other young actress as the next big star. That seems to be another Twitter thing, though, given its trailer views and that Fandango poll 

Does anyone know what they mean by the part that I highlighted in red (from Deadline)?

I Wanna Dance With Somebody from Tri-Star/Compelling Pictures/Black Label is looking at $2.2M today (including last night’s previews), $6.3M for the weekend and $9M over 4 days at 3,625 theaters. Sony is getting a distribution free for handling with financiers recouping the P&A spend. Rotten Tomatoes critics don’t like it at 46%, but audiences love it at 94%.

6 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Shit! Babylon is the bomb of all bombs. Its four-day gross is going to be below the three day for Amsterdam. That is a catastrophe, especially since it is the Christmas season. If Barbie is not a huge grosser, then they are probably going to pivot to some other young actress as the next big star. That seems to be another Twitter thing, though, given its trailer views and that Fandango poll 

I think Babylon flop hurt Damien Chazelle, more than Morgot Robbie. It is safe to say the director has passed his career peak. 

• Like 1

As hyped as I am for it, Barbie is essentially a meme film only film Twitter and shitposters will actually go see. Basically the second coming of Detective Pikachu, but without the brand power that will prevent it from being a total flop. And even said power wasn't enough to make Pikachu a real hit, hence the lack of any followups from Warner. Much like that movie, Barbie also has to deal with a crowded summer marketplace.

Babylon flopping will basically kill Damian Chazelle's career methinks, at least in mainstream Hollywood. You just know he's going to run and huddle up in the Netflix mansion much like a lot of his peers.

• Thanks 2

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

As hyped as I am for it, Barbie is essentially a meme film only film Twitter and shitposters will actually go see. Basically the second coming of Detective Pikachu, but without the brand power that will prevent it from being a total flop. And even said power wasn't enough to make Pikachu a real hit, hence the lack of any followups from Warner. Much like that movie, Barbie also has to deal with a crowded summer marketplace.

Babylon flopping will basically kill Damian Chazelle's career methinks, at least in mainstream Hollywood. You just know he's going to run and huddle up in the Netflix mansion much like a lot of his peers.

Minions 2 was also a meme film.

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, how are we blaming Robbie for the failure of her ambitious fourth quarter flops lol? These bombs are on DOR and Chazelle, not anyone who was in them. If Barbie flops next year then we'll talk.

Because she is the star who gets paid tens of millions and in return for that, she must attract the masses. The average moviegoer doesn't go see movies for the director unless it's someone like Nolan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flopped said:

Because she is the star who gets paid tens of millions and in return for that, she must attract the masses. The average moviegoer doesn't go see movies for the director unless it's someone like Nolan

Babylon also has Brad Pitt with equal top billing (coming off of a $100M+ hit he anchored all by himself this summer) and did little to move the needle either. It's been proven time and time again that all the star power in the world won't save a movie when the movie in question isn't appealing.

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, how are we blaming Robbie for the failure of her ambitious fourth quarter flops lol? These bombs are on DOR and Chazelle, not anyone who was in them. If Barbie flops next year then we'll talk.

Even her superhero projects tanked at the box office. That is almost impossible to realize given how full proof that genre is nowadays. You can give Suicide Squad an excuse, but Birds of Prey was not on streaming and happened before coronavirus was even a thing in America. They are just not that into her                                                                                         

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Babylon also has Brad Pitt with equal top billing (coming off of a $100M+ hit he anchored all by himself this summer) and did little to move the needle either. It's been proven time and time again that all the star power in the world won't save a movie when the movie in question isn't appealing.

Pitt has always struggled with adult dramas, so that is not a surprise