Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, they didn't have to put Glass Onion, Strange World, and the next season of Jack Ryan all on Dec 23, so folks have enough entertainment for all ages and persuasions for the week:)...even without relying on Christmas specials!

Don't forget Top Gun Maverick on Paramount Plus.

Honestly, when thinking of what movie you throw on that everyone in the family will be willing to watch, that's probably top of the list.

I can see a jump in sign ups just for that this weekend.

• Like 1

I mean is this really a bad performance given the circumstances? If it did smth like 12 million in Thursday it would have been obvious that there are things to seriously worry about besides storm impact and focusing on that would have been an excuse but at 14.5m the weather impact (undisputable even tho we dont know its scale) seems more than enough on its own to bring a solid number to that. It will become obvious if and when the weather starts to be used as an excuse more than it deserves but Thursdays numbers dont seem to be low enough for that

Edited by Gkalaitza
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gkalaitza said:

I mean is this really a bad performance given the circumstances? If it did smth like 12 million in Thursday it would have been obvious that there are things to seriously worry about besides storm impact and focusing on that would have been an excuse but at 14.5m the weather impact (undisputable even tho we dont know its scale) seems more than enough on its own to bring a solid number to that. It will become obvious if and when the weather starts to be used as an excuse more than it deserves but Thursdays numbers dont seem to be low enough for that

Considering no one can estimate the exact impact of weather, it's not exactly easy to know if bad result or just weather shenanigans.

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Considering no one can estimate the exact impact of weather, it's not exactly easy to know if bad result or just weather shenanigans.

You are right  but despite it being arbitrary i feel that one can reasonably guess that for Thursday its not negligable but its neither at the 2.5m+ range and whatever it was it will be noticably worse for the FRI and SAT

8 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Pretty crazy that they're hiding the Babylon numbers. 

They don't want "bomb" headlines that would further damage the movie's oscar chances. The are hoping for a turnaround on Sunday/Monday so that it might earn  something good enough to avoid said"BOMB" label. 

It's a waste of time and resources, though. The movie will be a bigger bomb than "the last duel" but with a terrible RT final score at around 45/50 %. Yes we're probably in the worst era ever for movies, but giving a best picture nom to a bomb whose critical score is so low would really be a new low.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Like 1

Just now, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

They don't want "bomb" headlines that woul further damage the movie's oscar chances. The are hoping for a turnaround on Sunday/Monday so that it might earn  something good enough to avoid the "BOMB"

Yeah, I think they also want to avoid those  early bomb headlines preventing people from seeing it over the weekend. 

24 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

They don't want "bomb" headlines that would further damage the movie's oscar chances. The are hoping for a turnaround on Sunday/Monday so that it might earn  something good enough to avoid said"BOMB" label. 

It's a waste of time and resources, though. The movie will be a bigger bomb than "the last duel" but with a terrible RT final score at around 45/50 %. Yes we're probably in the worst era ever for movies, but giving a best picture nom to a bomb whose critical score is so low would really be a new low.

Okay.

4 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

An insane snowstorm and ruthless streaming competition means a dead weekend for exhibition. Netflix stockholders are going to be flying to the moon once the Glass Onion numbers come in. Fingers crossed next week brings us better numbers.

I mean Netflix couldn’t plan their Knives Out 2 release better even if they tried. I’m about to watch it btw, watched the first and ended up sleeping yesterday.

LOOOOOL NepoBaby Prime has spoken

Edit: whilst I’m still on this - we need to be honest with Denzel Washington about his son. He ain’t got it.

Edited by AJG
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, they didn't have to put Glass Onion, Strange World, and the next season of Jack Ryan all on Dec 23, so folks have enough entertainment for all ages and persuasions for the week:)...even without relying on Christmas specials!

I think this is a bigger impact than people realize 

It used to be that TV was mostly a wasteland over the holiday period, with serialized programs going on break and even sporting events dying down 

But with streaming now looking to take advantage of that window, it’s more competition for eyeballs, with a $0 new cost, and probably keeps a good number of people home 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

An insane snowstorm and ruthless streaming competition means a dead weekend for exhibition. Netflix stockholders are going to be flying to the moon once the Glass Onion numbers come in. Fingers crossed next week brings us better numbers.

Still a long way from the moon.

1 hour ago, Korra Legion said:

We can make it as long as @Cap has the courage to recognize this as a 7 day weekend 

It’s gonna at least be a 4 Day since that is what Deadline keeps sneakily inflating the numbers tooooooooo!!!! 

• Haha 1