Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

Also, I have AT LEAST 200 pictures of Judy, if we are concerned about the page count. 

She just got back from the groomers for the first time. What a big girl! She looks so so so cute!!!

9451CF12-8B9C-4749-BA13-943DB95F6F37.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

How is the weather forecast? By when the storm will be gone? We can't keep blaming storm for the terrible numbers across and hope for recovery later on. More often than not, latter means never...... Cinema is already in bad shape, they can't take this weather shit anymore. 

The cold front will be through all areas by tonight but the deep freeze lasts through the weekend. 

The Buffalo metro area has instituted a driving ban this afternoon due to how bad the weather is there right now.

I'd expect some recovery on Sunday, but really expect significant improvement on Monday.

I live north of Atlanta and our normal highs this time of year are around 55 F and lows around 35 F. We went from 48 F at midnight to around 12 F this morning and are not forecasted to get above freezing (32 F, 0 C) until lunchtime on Monday.

The big issue over the weekend is the cold. The winds associated with this cold front are extreme and expected to last through Saturday night. Wind chills are a good 20-30 degrees lower than the actual air temperature making it dangerous to be outside for any significant period of time.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gkalaitza said:

You are right  but despite it being arbitrary i feel that one can reasonably guess that for Thursday its not negligable but its neither at the 2.5m+ range and whatever it was it will be noticably worse for the FRI and SAT

Almost everything drop from Wednesday to Thursday except A2. This is a significant different from the same date in 2016 where everything (except newcomers) gain double digit %. To conclude, the storm effect is there. 

Movie Title Distributor Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Days In
Release
1 (1) Avatar: The Way of Water 20th Century… $14,632,040 +2%   4,202 $3,482 $197,681,686 7
2 (2) Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Universal $2,902,605 -9%   4,093 $709 $6,102,855 2
3 (3) Black Panther: Wakanda Fo… Walt Disney $881,722 -2% +28% 3,380 $261 $422,655,401 42
4 (4) Violent Night Universal $791,535 -4% +28% 3,525 $225 $38,468,460 21
- P Whitney Houston I Wanna D… Sony Pictures $730,000     3,093 $236 $730,000  
5 (5) The Whale A24 $273,762 -60% +1,499% 603 $454 $1,557,944 14
6 (8) Strange World Walt Disney $223,128 -9% n/c 2,870 $78 $35,189,242 30
7 (7) The Menu Searchlight … $190,852 -30% -22% 1,875 $102 $33,179,843 35
8 (-) The Fabelmans Universal $94,105 -22% -15% 955 $99 $9,174,456 42
  • Like 5

Also, for my dyslexic sanity, may we please not abbreviate the Whitney Houston movie, let’s just call Whitney. We don’t need that I WITDSWH nonsense. 🤮 My brain like shut down reading that 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Cap said:

Also, I have AT LEAST 200 pictures of Judy, if we are concerned about the page count. 

She just got back from the groomers for the first time. What a big girl! She looks so so so cute!!!

9451CF12-8B9C-4749-BA13-943DB95F6F37.jpeg

I think Judy should make an appearance every page

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Cap said:

Also, for my dyslexic sanity, may we please not abbreviate the Whitney Houston movie, let’s just call Whitney. We don’t need that I WITDSWH nonsense. 🤮 My brain like shut down reading that 😂

I'm all for banning these so-called "abbreviations" from the internet. Every time I read EEAAO I hear the Old MacDonald song in my head

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I'm all for banning these so-called "abbreviations" from the internet. Every time I read EEAAO I hear the Old MacDonald song in my head

For the rest of internet? Yes. But abbreviations are a BOT staple, unless they are ridiculous, like the Whitney one. It’s supposed to make our heads spin, part of the experience.

57 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

The cold front will be through all areas by tonight but the deep freeze lasts through the weekend. 

The Buffalo metro area has instituted a driving ban this afternoon due to how bad the weather is there right now.

Buffalo is nuts right now. 10 degrees with heavy snow and blowing snow, updated forecast currently calling for winds up to 75 mph tonight, with a storm total by Sunday of 31-49 inches. Brutal wind chills as well. This is one for the record books.

4 minutes ago, A Star is Delayed said:

Buffalo is nuts right now. 10 degrees with heavy snow and blowing snow, updated forecast currently calling for winds up to 75 mph tonight, with a storm total by Sunday of 31-49 inches. Brutal wind chills as well. This is one for the record books.

Hopefully all these people who didn't see Whitney, Babylon, Puss in Boots this weekend because of the bad weather in many big cities will still see those movies next week and not move on to something else...

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Excellent NY Times interview with Ryan Coogler and do-screenwriter Joe Robert Cole about what Black Panther would be if Chadwick Boseman was alive. Spoilers galore for Wakanda Forever obviously, but all I’m saying we were robbed. It’s not fair.

Well, not to swirl it all back to BP in this weekend (it's still a player though), but I think people can agree that there are no real glaring problems with BPWF other than what was sadly thrown at the world. Coogler put his heart into the movie and it was a very good movie and I think that a third one, when the time is right, will be bigger than the second. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, A Star is Delayed said:

I don’t understand how Buffalo still has over a million people living in the area. Horrible weather every year. People are crazy for staying there IMHO. 

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Well, not to swirl it all back to BP in this weekend (it's still a player though), but I think people can agree that there are no real glaring problems with BPWF other than what was sadly thrown at the world. Coogler put his heart into the movie and it was a very good movie and I think that a third one, when the time is right, will be bigger than the second. 

I actually think that 

Spoiler

The rise of T’Challa 

might make even more than the first one. I hate how the usual suspects of the internet behaved after Chadwick Boseman’s passing. I hated having to fight and argue online that recasting T’Challa was just plainly wrong. You don’t recast T’Challa, he is unlike all the other superhero characters that came before, and this is coming from a massive Spider-Man and Superman fan. Black Panther’s mythology is and always has been about ancestry, about legacy, about belonging, about the African diaspora. You don’t dilute this, and while I understand those that in good faith pleaded that the new generations needed T’Challa as well, I was confident that Coogler and his team would find an way of making that work because it’s all there, from the source material to the first filme they made.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Wakanda Forever. But it is a tough film. It is a downer, despite how aesthetically it’s way more action oriented than even the first film, it’s a tough film not because it doesn’t work, but because losing T’Challa and Chadwick was real, it actually happened. We endured campaigns attacking Chadwick’s legacy, attacking Coogler and rightfully criticizing Wright throughout all of this. Everyone in WF put their heart into it. Wright acted her ass off and it might be her best performance of all time. I know 100% that Chadwick wherever he is, he is proud of his legacy and how his friends and family pushed forward.

The feeling that we were robbed doesn’t mean that we didn’t get something special. It’s just that in context of the actual film and what they had to adjust to, it makes you reflect harder on what could have been. But like T’Challa says…

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, StreamBO said:

out-in-the-cold-snow.gif

I was just out driving. (I had to get grandma gift cards to the movies before tomorrow.). I can say this is EXACTLY what it is like out there. Ugh. So gross. 

• Sad 1