XXR & Friends

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I would be curious to know total A2 3D share DOM? I believe A1s was absurdly high and would have gone even higher if the amount of screens were around at the time to meet the demand. Everyone wanted to see what this “new” non red/green cheesy “3D” was all about with A1. These days, no one is curious what it’s all about, and beyond that there are a huge chunk of the people who clamored to see A1 in 3D that know very well now that they hate it and would never see a movie in 3D.

All this to say, I’m curious is coming close to A1s gross DOM would actually be coming close to its admissions as well, in spite of inflation, bc of the huge 3D inflation from the first? 

61% of the OW was from 3D. No more report on 3D share since OW. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, M37 said:

Agree it’s a short term rather than long term comp given lower value and no legs, but did you mean 19th? 

More likely 9th, aka first post Holiday week. I think Avatwo will have a stronger MLK weekend. Passengers lost that weekend a third of its theater count, and many shows

1 minute ago, Dragoncaine said:

These numbers are super impressive. Hoping for $9m today but feels like $8.5m+ would be good, yeah?

above 8.5m possibly be highest 4th tuesday ever... need to doublecheck

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Dragoncaine said:

These numbers are super impressive. Hoping for $9m today but feels like $8.5m+ would be good, yeah?

There are large part of school still out on Tuesday and Tuesday can be quite beneficiary to A2. I don't think anything above 10m is impossible.  

How many Oscar nominations is this thing going to get? That’ll play in its favour when they’re announced in a few weeks. 

I’d think the following are a lock:

Picture

Production Design

Cinematography

Visual Effects

Editing

Sound

JC also could get a nod for director, but I’m expecting six nominations minimum - with Picture a must if there are any fence sitters left who might throw in the towel and go see it. 

• Like 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

How many Oscar nominations is this thing going to get? That’ll play in its favour when they’re announced in a few weeks. 

Picture

Production Design

Cinematography

Visual Effects

Editing

Sound

JC also could get a nod for director, but I’m expecting six nominations minimum - with Picture a must if there are any fence sitters left who might throw in the towel and go see it. 

Some are already announced

9 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Picture

Production Design

Cinematography

Visual Effects

Editing

Sound

I'd say 5 nominations at a minimum (Pic, Prod Design, Cinematography, VFX, Sound), 6 is very likely (Director), 7 could happen (Editing), 8 on its best day (Score).

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Some are already announced

Those are only shortlists, Avatar still has to make the top 5 threshold in each of those pre-announced shortlist categories.

Edited by Dragoncaine

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Picture

Production Design

Cinematography

Visual Effects

Editing

Sound

The best chance for A2 are:

1. Best VFX (Almost locked for win)

2. Best Picture

3. Best Director

4. Best Cinematography

5. Best Sound

6. Best Production Design

I would say Editing, Score, and Song are on the bubble although these aspect are my most critical part of the movie itself. And I don't understand why they pushed Weeknd Song for Best Song, instead of Songcord. Songcord is a far more effective and integral part of the story. Songcord would have a better chance getting into the field than Weeknd song.