XXR & Friends

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

2 minutes ago, spazz91 said:

Is there a way to see how other movies (NWH, TFA, etc.) were tracking at this point during the day on new years eve to see what kind of drop in the estimate we might expect this evening?

Don't know much about the tracking side, so idk if that's even really possible with the data

It's not possible the way we're doing it. Best you can do is maybe find early estimates from Deadline or something. 

23 minutes ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

That's actually most interesting to me. Why is A2 underperforming so badly in Japan? I understand the reasons in China, but JP A1 > A2 went from 170MM > 10MM.

There are three main reasons for this 

1 there has been reports of theatre projectors in Japan crashing while playing the HFR version. 

2 there was competition. The slam dunk movie came out the same weekend. ( slam dunk is the biggest sports manga ever.)

3 whaling is a big deal in Japan and the film having it as a major plot point seems to have angered some people there.

Just now, stephanos13 said:

I think they are pretty close. If 24.4 is a low estimate then...

I'm thinking more about the Sunday 

Last weekend they predict the 4-Day around 16M lower than what it did. 

And even after that explosive Sunday they still project 4-day around 8M lower than reality. 

But i think they'll be more precise this weekend too, just wondering.

10 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

There are three main reasons for this 

1 there has been reports of theatre projectors in Japan crashing while playing the HFR version. 

2 there was competition. The slam dunk movie came out the same weekend. ( slam dunk is the biggest sports manga ever.)

3 whaling is a big deal in Japan and the film having it as a major plot point seems to have angered some people there.

The first one is misleading (iirc it was just one theater in a fairly minor chain), the second is only partially true (slam dunk released 2 weeks prior, but yes, much better competition than rest of the world alongside Suzume), and the third one feels like some minor stuff that twitter users make out much bigger than it actually is.

Japan just moved on. The convos trying to rationalise why are exhausting. It's Japan, they don't really care what is popular elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Speaking of Japan, anyone knows if Suzume can hit 100M there? 

It seems to be legging out really well and it's getting nearly 85M while still doing ~ 3M 2-day weekends

Yeah, almost certainly I'd say.

39 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Deadline said 68M earlier, i imagine that updated prediction probably taken FRI number + SAT early data in consideration, so it must be started strong.

But yeah let's see, holidays is always hard to predict. I can see anywhere from 65-69M happening.

I just think it’s gonna be worse than forecasted based on similar years bc this feels like the first year in 3 years most people in the US will really be doing the whole NY party thing like I mentioned. So lots of pent up demand for a “real” new years. 

But I still think we would see it course corrected on Sun and Mon with way stronger holds if it plummeted today. 

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

really excited to pirate it on january 17th! (I own the first one on bluray so im allowed to see, you see)

No, please see it in theaters. I beg you. The sound design and cinematography are experiences that should only be seen in on the big screen

Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Mine, so Italy. Though keep in mind my city is likely an overperformer (every theater near me has been mad packed for weeks), but still, food for thought.

I live in Milan too and a friend of mine sent me this morning like 10 screencaps of almost sold out theaters.

• Like 1