filmlover

95th Academy Awards nominations thread

They nominated Ana de Armas for Blonde and snubbed Danielle Deadwyler for Till? Okay Academy, you do you, I guess.

Not many big surprises, though it's nice to see that a passion vote or fringe contender prevailed in each of the acting categories (Riseborough, Mescal, Hsu, Henry).

Aftersun great but was rooting for Sandman to get in just because. Deadwyler missing for De Armas is a tragedy. Didn't like Triangle of Sadness even if I agreed with the politics of it. Mostly fine nominees otherwise though. Henry getting in amazing and I haven't even seen that movie.

The highlights of this morning were definitely "My Year of Dicks" and "An Ostrich Told Me the World is Fake and I Think I Believe It" becoming Oscar-nominated titles.

Also, Andrea Riseborough's grassroots campaign actually paying off is going to make a fun awards season story in the future.

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

A2, a movie which audiences love love love. Made my James Cameron, doing something no one else can do. Leading a team of 3800 people, pushing boundries on many fronts.

Surely A2 should have a better shot at best director than best picture.

Given it’s a directors guild nom, all the talk of the budget and scope of the work may have been a deterrent, in that the use of $500M and 4K workers is less a directing achievement and more of CEO/producer role, preferring to reward those who had far less resources at their disposal, aka “true directors” 

• Like 2

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

cinematography (the first movie won) and editing it didn't get too.

While A2 is beatuiful it doesn't try to win the cinematography award. It's too grand and VFX heavy for them to give it to A2. It's incredible the first movie won cinematography with the way they vote. Probably because the 3D at time blew their minds, and all the shots were made in a way where completemented the 3D.

For editing, the first movie was better editing. Avatar 1 was so tight. A2 a bit clunky in places.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Given it’s a directors guild nom, all the talk of the budget and scope of the work may have been a deterrent, in that the use of $500M and 4K workers is less a directing achievement and more of CEO/producer role, preferring to reward those who had far less resources at their disposal, aka “true directors” 

how is that any different than in 2009?

5 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Everyone so far mourning snubs, overlooking the true Oscar news. Puss got the nomination Shrek Puss In Boots GIF - Shrek Puss In Boots Hey - Discover & Share GIFs

Seems likely to win too, no?

3 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

They nominated Ana de Armas for Blonde and snubbed Danielle Deadwyler for Till? Okay Academy, you do you, I guess.

I feel like the signs were there for Ana when the Razzies didn't nominate her despite Blonde being up for seemingly everything else lol. Oh well, happy to see her become a nominee at least.

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Damn, Ana De Armas got nominated for Blonde? Admittedly, I haven’t seen the movie, and I don’t really plan to, but that comes across as a rather odd decision. 

she's actually really good in it. she'd honestly be my pick from that line up but i haven't seen the andrea riseborough movie. 

1 minute ago, GOGODanca said:

how is that any different than in 2009?

It was ambitious for its time, but wasn’t so … corporate? Could just be some good old fashioned backlash/jealousy, in the “if you gave me those resources I could do better” vein. Just speculating