BadOlCatSylvester

February 3rd to 5th, 2023 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Cabin 14.2, Brady 12.5, Avatar 10.8, Puss 7.95, BTS 6.3

1 minute ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

That's a sizable jump for AVATAR in actuals.

Because Disney went with their usual Sunday non sense. They had Sunday drop 43.5%, nearly same as last Sunday with NFL Championships games with 44.1%.

Sunday went up 500K alone.

• Like 2

@Krissykins @TwoMisfits 

I haven't gotten around to watching Smile yet but I did end up watching the Menu and while the ending disappointed me, which seems to be part of the course for a lot of films these days, I did enjoy 95% of the movie. I'm not a food connoisseur so I didn't really appreciate all the minutiae about the preparation of food but the movie was crazy, zany, funny, fun and had some interesting ideas and concepts and a little bit of Gore as well. And I really enjoyed Anna Taylor joy. So I definitely enjoyed it and I know both of you liked it as well.

I'll get around to watching smile this week.

• Like 5

I don't even know where to look on box office mojo anymore to find the release schedule for 2023. I had to go to the numbers to find out that next week magic Mike comes out and Titanic is coming out again which I know all of you knew but I didn't. I've seen Titanic at the theater every time it's been released and I'll be dropping another 20 bucks next weekend to watch it again. It's one of the few films that absolutely must be seen on the big screen. I mean, there's nothing like it in my opinion.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

@Krissykins @TwoMisfits 

I haven't gotten around to watching Smile yet but I did end up watching the Menu and while the ending disappointed me, which seems to be part of the course for a lot of films these days, I did enjoy 95% of the movie. I'm not a food connoisseur so I didn't really appreciate all the minutiae about the preparation of food but the movie was crazy, zany, funny, fun and had some interesting ideas and concepts and a little bit of Gore as well. And I really enjoyed Anna Taylor joy. So I definitely enjoyed it and I know both of you liked it as well.

I'll get around to watching smile this week.

Yeah, I didn't love the ending, either.  I think The Menu was one rewrite, specifically on the last 20-30 minutes of the movie, from being an absolute home run.  It was still pretty good, even without that:)...

I'd happily put it on my Top 25 list for 2022...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sophie said:

Do you think that 80 For Brady can outpace Cabin and wind up winning the week? It needs to close 1.42 million gap in 4 days. 

Interesting question …

If Cabin has similar weekday ratio as M3GAN, gets to about $18M for Oweek, and if Brady follows Downtown 2 off similar Sun, would be about $19M. So probably? (though might be close enough that it only comes out ahead if you include EA shows)

Knock on the Cabin will drop to like 5th or 6th place this weekend. Fully expecting a 66% drop to a 5M 2nd weekend. I won't be surprised if Titanic wins the weekend with 10M or so. 80 for Brady has a good chance of winning as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M37 said:

Interesting question …

If Cabin has similar weekday ratio as M3GAN, gets to about $18M for Oweek, and if Brady follows Downtown 2 off similar Sun, would be about $19M. So probably? (though might be close enough that it only comes out ahead if you include EA shows)

You feel Knock is as well received by audiences as M3GAN? Looking at cinema score, how frontloaded the presales were and the drop on Sunday I think its going to struggle. 

18 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

You feel Knock is as well received by audiences as M3GAN? Looking at cinema score, how frontloaded the presales were and the drop on Sunday I think it’s going to struggle. 

No, but I don’t think WOM has much of an effect on total gross of first few weekdays, and Cabin dropped 41% Sat to Sun, just 1 point worse than M3G OW. Also M3G first weekdays still had some tail end holiday inflation, so Cabin struggling is still prob mostly a wash 

14 hours ago, CJohn said:

Knock on the Cabin will drop to like 5th or 6th place this weekend. Fully expecting a 66% drop to a 5M 2nd weekend. I won't be surprised if Titanic wins the weekend with 10M or so. 80 for Brady has a good chance of winning as well.

I think Magic Mike will win the weekend, even if it just barely hits $10M. If sales near me are any indication, it's gonna be wildly frontloaded.