GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

It was getting ridiculous how hard they went into the shows in such short time. That´s why I still have hope for things to get better again. Not only in terms of quality but the specialness of each MCU release is not there anymore. Already the few changes they have said and done has made me a bit more hopeful. Also funny how Marvel are dropping all of these news now. They clearly knew that they screwed up this one.

Phase 4 should have had like four shows at most. Not 8. WandaVision, Loki. Moon Knight and Ms.Marvel. Falcon and The Winter Soldier wasn´t needed when you´re going to give Sam a own movie. She-Hulk ugh, What If also just D+ fodder...

Also Feige need to really prioritize these next MCU releases that are going into production. Let the shows be the shows. Movies are way more important

Edited by thajdikt
  • Like 1

The things that Marvel had in their movies pre-endgame and in some after has disappeared. While at the same time the things that were bad has become ten times worse. I don´t think critics are necessarily harder on them. The quality has just really fell down. Before almost every MCU movies was at least a good time at the theater with laughs and solid action. Emotion aswell. That is all gone now. 

• Like 3

On paper Antman 3 looks like a movie audiences would enjoy more than Eternals so yes a B CinemaScore is awful. Won't be long til we start seeing big daily/weekly drops at box office IMO. I don't think MCU is doomed yet but if Guardians doesn't live up to expectations Disney is going to have to rethink their business model going forward and find a way to restore quality and interest to future installments. 

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

It was getting ridiculous how hard they went into the shows in such short time. That´s why I still have hope for things to get better again. Not only in terms of quality but the specialness of each MCU release is not there anymore. Already the few changes they have said and done has made me a bit more hopeful. Also funny how Marvel are dropping all of these news now. They clearly knew that they screwed up this one.

Phase 4 should have had like four shows at most. Not 8. WandaVision, Loki. Moon Knight and Ms.Marvel. Falcon and The Winter Soldier wasn´t needed when you´re going to give Sam a own movie. She-Hulk ugh, What If also just D+ fodder...

Also Feige need to really prioritize these next MCU releases that are going into production. Let the shows be the shows. Movies are way more important

They release 5 shows in 2021 and 3 in 2022. There wasn't a problem of " too much shows" in 2022. The problem was more realising ms marvel at the same time than kenobi. That affect more the "specialness" because the ms marvel premier wasn't  "special" at all because was overshadow by a show like kenobi. Also Moon Knight and Hawkeye were always planned as movies, not shows. They changed to shows only to released more quickly and not wait. That could be the mistake. Loki, Wandavision, Ms Marvel, She Hulk were always planned as shows. 

Edited by fede75
  • ...wtf 1

Under $200m DOM total might be a possibility with that cinemascore. A 2-2.2x multiplier on par with MOM is not out of the question especially since the 3-day OW will be boosted by the holiday Sunday. IMO it just makes it since I think disney are lowballing the numbers so far but this is gonna come below all expectations. I'm guessing we're at 47m thu+fri (+3m on estimates), end the weekend at around 97m and finish up at around 210m for the lowest multiplier in MCU history.

3 hours ago, Eric the Conqueror said:

Feels nice to be vindicated when I said wayyyyy back in 2021 that these TV shows were going to cause Marvel more harm than good. :shades:

This! Moon Knight was easily the worst TV show I seen from the whole of last year. 

That’s a terrible cinemascore for Quantumania. Like I said in the AntMan thread yesterday, B range cinema scores are becoming the new normal for the MCU. 

Phase 5 starting with a whimper with critics and audiences.

I can’t comment, the fire alarm went off half way through and they didn’t resume it. Will have to catch it again. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

MCU phase 1-3 were built around Thanos.  He was the one all the interconnectivity was centered on, every piece of the puzzle foreshadowing as the ultimate villain.  Thanos was the MCU's success.

Why do I point this out?  Because in 2016 Kevin Feige said 'captain marvel' is the strongest in the mcu.  

Ever since then I have know Feige wasn't the mastermind behind the MCU.  If Thanos had really been his 'baby', his magnum opus, then there is no way he would have kneecapped him this way right before endgame.

Judging by MCU phase 4-5, the genius behind the MCU is long gone.  The one positive to all the mediocre content is that it's revealing Kevin Feige as a hack coasting off someone else's brilliance.

Edited by cedec0
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Knock It Off 3

4 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

MCU phase 1-3 were built around Thanos.  He was the one all the interconnectivity was centered on, every piece of the puzzle foreshadowing as the ultimate villain.  Thanos was the MCU's success.

Why do I point this out?  Because in 2016 Kevin Feige said 'captain marvel' is the strongest in the mcu.  

Ever since then I have know Feige wasn't the mastermind behind the MCU.  If Thanos had really been his 'baby', his magnum opus, then there is no way he would have kneecapped him this way right before endgame.

Judging by MCU phase 4-5, the genius behind the MCU is long gone.  The one positive to all the mediocre content is that it's revealing Kevin Feige as a hack coasting off someone else's brilliance.

I'm not sure I'm following this logic...

If anything the issue seems to be Feige has taken his hands off the wheel and given it to far inferior creatives.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I'm not sure I'm following this logic...

If anything the issue seems to be Feige has taken his hands off the wheel and given it to far inferior creatives.

A lot of people attribute MCU's success directly to Feige as a creative (the architect overseeing everything).  The 'strongest' comment reveals that he was more a manager and someone else was the architect.  The architect is gone now, and feige just doesn't have the skills to direct the MCU on his own.

12 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I mean...captain marvel IS stronger than Thanos. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Announcing Captain Marvel is the strongest is a problem because it completely destroys Thanos threat as villain right before endgame.  Going into the big finale, you want the audience wondering: "how in the world are they going to beat him?"  With the heroes having an ace up the sleeve like captain marvel, it destroys the tension.

Edited by cedec0
  • ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

Announcing Captain Marvel is the strongest is a problem because it completely destroys Thanos threat as villain right before endgame.  Going into the big finale, you want the audience wondering: "how in the world are they going to beat him?"  With the heroes having an ace in the sleeve like captain marvel, it destroys the tension.

He said Captain Marvel is the strongest superhero; he didn't say Captain Marvel is more powerful than "Thanos with the Infinity Stones."

Edited by Willowra
  • Like 1

It's revisionist to say phase 3 was scored too high on Rotten Tomatoes.

Audiences LOVED phase 3 including critics. They were made to be crowd pleasers and did their job effectively. So it's not too crazy for the majority of critics to give them a thumbs up.

As many of you know I'm one of Marvels biggest defenders and I wouldn't give most of phase 4 thumbs up. On the other hand, I was cheering, crying, laughing throughout phase 3. I loved watching them OW with a big crowd.

Well, I have been trying to finish Love and Thunder for WEEKS. I cannot do it. I'll watch it for 10 minutes get bored and distracted then go do something else. My son, who loved the Infinity Saga watched MoM on Disney Plus and we spent most the movie mocking it and picking it apart. Again, I'm a Marvel loonie but phase 4 movies outside a couple movies feel obligatory, like filler episodes.

So there's a world of difference between phase 3 and phase 4. Critics are human and they also noticed the change in quality. I absolutely loved phase 3 and can barely make it through phase 4. This says alot.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, thajdikt said:

The shows have abysmal viewing figures as well. I think this is going to have a big impact on The Marvels - they’ve tied weights around Captain Marvels neck (especially with the synopsis). Even Loki could have been a pretty great selling film. The TV shows clearly have diminishing returns as Marvel struggles to make the formats/quality work.

For a connected universe it’s really hard to keep up with this many hours of content. Much of it not very good. I also think the MCU is becoming more connected not less post phase 3, which adds to the frustration of a random cinema goer.

40 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

A lot of people attribute MCU's success directly to Feige as a creative (the architect overseeing everything).  The 'strongest' comment reveals that he was more a manager and someone else was the architect.  The architect is gone now, and feige just doesn't have the skills to direct the MCU on his own.

Who was the architect then?