GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It took Hollywood 30 years how to properly adopt video games.

Which means we'll start getting good anime adaptations around 2120.

Think we need a few more examples so that the sample size is big enough. Maybe push that back to 2150

• Like 2

The rest of saga 2 will be very interesting (since it’s probably too late to course correct on a very macro level (though maybe can fix some of the YA vibes (why is that happening alongside multiverse anyway))). 

Then saga 3 will be very interesting to see how quickly they can regain the infinity goodwill (or it will be interesting because it’s the 2nd bad saga in a row and it actually dies).

There are plenty of manga/anime that could be done very well in live action and quite affordably so but studios just want to try adapting the biggest properties which are too cartoony/fantastical to be done right in that medium

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It took Hollywood 30 years how to properly adopt video games.

I dont think hbo not screwing up the adaptation of a movie game is proof of anything 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

agree. feels like hollywood has only just started figuring out how to adapt video games for example. that's an avenue with a lot of untapped potential. anime too maybe.

I'm far from an anime expert (last one I watched were Sonic X/Pokemon back when I was like 12), and it doesn't help that any attempts of Hollywood anime adaptations have almost all sucked, but I feel anime is in a very tricky spot that makes it hard to succeed. From what I've seen, most anime fans are "purists" who will stick to the original Japanese versions and would be instantly wary of any Americanization (there's already those dumb "sub vs. dub" fights).

If a live-action Demon Slayer movie comes out, even if it looks really, really good, I feel like most Demon Slayer fans would just stick to watching the anime or one of their movies. It's different from comic books, where you're seeeing images and illustrations "come to life". There's also the minefield of casting. Do you go with casting white actors for roles that are more ambiguous? Or do you stick with Asian actors because this is a Japanese-based property? That would be a huge headache from a PR perspective.

Video game movies are for sure going to be a big trend though, especially since many of them can be worked into crowdpleasing animated family films. It wouldn't surprise me after the Mario movie's opening weekend that they announce a Legend of Zelda movie from Illumination or Dreamworks or whoever.

• Like 1

I think anime is also very tough to adapt to 2 hrs because of the length of a lot of the most popular and well known narratives.   

This can come up with books and video games and tv and stuff too — condensing 100 hrs of story into 2 can be tricky. But somehow with anime I feel like people are specifically attached to the original form and length as a key part of the appeal of the property. Kind of like Eric is saying.

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

yep. I worry if these Marvel movies start flopping. There's just no replacing them...and with the streaming threat...yeah dark times ahead

If you regularly followed box office in 2021-2022, it's obvious people just wouldn't show up at all if there wasn't something they were desperate to see. Attendance has improved from its lowest point but streaming is now too much of a bargain/convenience for many consumers. Maybe if theaters made tickets $3 every day, but that would cut into the box office and profits too much and maybe attract too much of a $3 crowd.

35 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

You can’t put the genie back in the bottle and as often said, cbms going away aren’t going to make studios start producing mid budget dramas. 

I saw 9 of this year's Best Picture nominees theatrically and outside of Avatar/Top Gun/Elvis, those were some pretty empty auditoriums. I mean, there were huge movie franchises in the 2010s and adult dramas were making a lot more money back then. Streaming/peak TV and the downfall of DVD sales, all that changed everything for adult-skewing dramas. If the MCU goes away, it's not like Kramer vs Kramer: The Next Generation suddenly makes $450 million.

I will scream if I see one more Twitter screenshot of that Times Square AMC with dozens of showtimes of the latest MCU, accompanied by some smug tweet about Marvel ruining cinema. A theater with 25 screens heavily scheduled a blockbuster in its opening weekend? You don't say. And it always turns out that the Empire 25 is simultaneously playing like 16-17 other movies, in addition to the latest CBM. Not to mention that it's New York City, which has tons of movie theaters of all varieties, and gets nearly every limited release weeks/months before the rest of the country.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Eric the Conqueror said:

I'm far from an anime expert (last one I watched were Sonic X/Pokemon back when I was like 12), and it doesn't help that any attempts of Hollywood anime adaptations have almost all sucked, but I feel anime is in a very tricky spot that makes it hard to succeed. From what I've seen, most anime fans are "purists" who will stick to the original Japanese versions and would be instantly wary of any Americanization (there's already those dumb "sub vs. dub" fights).

If a live-action Demon Slayer movie comes out, even if it looks really, really good, I feel like most Demon Slayer fans would just stick to watching the anime or one of their movies. It's different from comic books, where you're seeeing images and illustrations "come to life". There's also the minefield of casting. Do you go with casting white actors for roles that are more ambiguous? Or do you stick with Asian actors because this is a Japanese-based property? That would be a huge headache from a PR perspective.

Video game movies are for sure going to be a big trend though, especially since many of them can be worked into crowdpleasing animated family films. It wouldn't surprise me after the Mario movie's opening weekend that they announce a Legend of Zelda movie from Illumination or Dreamworks or whoever.

i do think anime fans became purists by way of all adaptations sucking ass. A good Death Note or Cowboy Bebop would've been embraced easily. i recall those projects had some excitement early in their development but now all fans are cynical and need to be won over. For the point on diversity Hollywood are starting to get better about that like even Ghost in the Shell think they'd find an Asian actress if they were doing it today. there are anime explicitly set in a version of Europe like Attack on Titan or Full Metal Alchemist so they can have white people movies too.