GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

30 minutes ago, Maggie said:

yep. I worry if these Marvel movies start flopping. There's just no replacing them...and with the streaming threat...yeah dark times ahead

People always say there's no replacing. But we just had two movies last year, neither of them Marvel, making over 650M+. And Jurassic World and The Batman and Minions also did well above 350M+. And even if Marvel loses a hole in there, it's not like another popular franchise or genre can take its place. Maybe even DC for all we know, with how good The Flash is looking. It's true that audiences are far less demanding than they were even a few years ago, but I think other movies can pick up the slack and there won't be this utter collapse like people predict.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, GOGODanca said:

Saying this after Disney  went all in on 3D marketing like it was 2010

what percentage of its tickets sold in 3d?

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

You can’t put the genie back in the bottle and as often said, cbms going away aren’t going to make studios start producing mid budget dramas. 

If - theoretically - cbms die other movies would take their place. I'm not neccessarily talking about mid budget dramas.

9 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Wish we could have seen Harry Potter or twilight 3PM previews. 3x IM would be legendary 

Even with midnights HP8 was legendary. It did 43.5m and did not even hit 170m(still broke OW record). That said that was one of a kind. Tracking midnights just through sellouts was batshit crazy. Sheer number of sellouts it had I dont think can be repeated in this preview era where shows are spread around for almost 12 hours. Only Endgame or SW7 were close but still not at that level. Back then there were hardly any PLF and Imax was that many as well. 

• Like 2

Just now, Elessar said:

If - theoretically - cbms die other movies would take their place. I'm not neccessarily talking about mid budget dramas.

agree. feels like hollywood has only just started figuring out how to adapt video games for example. that's an avenue with a lot of untapped potential. anime too maybe.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Wasn’t someone losing their temper a few weeks ago in the tracking thread, saying a preview number in the teens was a pure impossibility for this? 

Nope, no one lost their temper at me, no one, not at all, never happened:)...

But, I am gonna say, it feels good having staked my rep early, against the predictable and expected presale Math, and seeing it pan out...I don't do it often on movies, except when I see the board all going one way that I don't think it's gonna go.  When we get too certain in expectations just b/c all the previous movies went that way...

I think I can take another break til maybe Mario:)...

• Like 1

oh yeah, someone mentioned that in another thread, now that the marvels has been pushed to november the break between marvel movies is only 6 months long

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Even with midnights HP8 was legendary. It did 43.5m and did not even hit 170m(still broke OW record). That said that was one of a kind. Tracking midnights just through sellouts was batshit crazy. Sheer number of sellouts it had I dont think can be repeated in this preview era where shows are spread around for almost 12 hours. Only Endgame or SW7 were close but still not at that level. Back then there were hardly any PLF and Imax was that many as well. 

Yeah I am just thinking what would DH2 have done with like 2PM previews :hahaha:   

65M previews 175 wknd :sparta:

47 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Wasn’t someone losing their temper a few weeks ago in the tracking thread, saying a preview number in the teens was a pure impossibility for this? 

No see I was saying 16 was impossible, and it was ;)    

Also I wouldn’t really say losing my temper

15 minutes ago, Eric the Conqueror said:

People always say there's no replacing. But we just had two movies last year, neither of them Marvel, making over 650M+. And Jurassic World and The Batman and Minions also did well above 350M+. And even if Marvel loses a hole in there, it's not like another popular franchise or genre can take its place. Maybe even DC for all we know, with how good The Flash is looking. It's true that audiences are far less demanding than they were even a few years ago, but I think other movies can pick up the slack and there won't be this utter collapse like people predict.

Honestly Avatar making fistfuls of money is proof that the theatrical experience isn't going extinct anytime. Marvel does well but it's not the only game in town. 

NWH - 260m OW

MoM - 187m OW

Thor 4 - 144m OW

Black Panther 2 - 181m OW

Ant-Man 3 - 100m OW

I'd say Marvel is still in a strong position. They still have a strong and loyal audience base.

Is the loyalty being tested with sub-par output. Yes but I'm not seeing signs that the MCU fanbase is declining massively.

We know what that looks like with the Transformers, Fantastic Beast and Hunger Games franchise.

• Like 3

Meh, but should be seen as a success since it'll open well over the previous movie 

It's only disappointing for us because we know it could be 130M instead of 100 

But yeah it's still decent, the problem here is the OS numbers (and potentially awful legs DOM, but let's see if somehow it ended up with a Cinemascore better than B+)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

NWH - 260m OW

MoM - 187m OW

Thor 4 - 144m OW

Black Panther 2 - 181m OW

Ant-Man 3 - 100m OW

I'd say Marvel is still in a strong position. They still have a strong and loyal audience base.

Is the loyalty being tested with sub-par output. Yes but I'm not seeing signs that the MCU fanbase is declining massively.

We know what that looks like with the Transformers, Fantastic Beast and Hunger Games franchise.

Agreed, i think the main problem is these debuts showed people have good will with the brand, but how long they can keep making people disappointed? The legs is already worrysome.

Eventually the good will is gonna fade if thsy keep on this path, they have to avoid this while people is still loyal. 

At least unlike some of the more blind fans Feige is seeing the problem clearly, the shows will be less for year, they just delayed The Marvels, smart choices for sure. 

Now i hope they stop making these colossal movies in under 2 years of development, to avoid bad VFX and bad writing.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 6