GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

3 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

I think anime is also very tough to adapt to 2 hrs because of the length of a lot of the most popular and well known narratives.   

This can come up with books and video games and tv and stuff too — condensing 100 hrs of story into 2 can be tricky. But somehow with anime I feel like people are specifically attached to the original form and length as a key part of the appeal of the property. Kind of like Eric is saying.

I feel like it's not that hard. Just take certain seasons or story arcs from an anime and just adapt those. Then if the movie's a hit, then you adapt those later arcs in a sequel. Basically do what they did with the Dune movies and have a Part One that ends on a cliffhanger that's followed up with in Part Two.

And I know there's the risk of ending on a cliffhanger when your first movie could bomb, but that has never stopped Hollywood from doing that before. Including with already existing anime movies!

19 minutes ago, Eric the Conqueror said:

I feel like it's not that hard. Just take certain seasons or story arcs from an anime and just adapt those. Then if the movie's a hit, then you adapt those later arcs in a sequel.

If I had $150m to toss around, I'd produce a Fullmetal Alchemist movie. First movie (for those aware of the story), a 20-ish minute prologue setting up the world and the Elric's backstory, and 100 minutes of the brothers & military vs Scar in Central City arc. Relatively self-contained with hints of the larger story, which could be feasibly executed in 4ish more films if the first one is a hit.

I do think the Fullmetal Alchemist IP screams for a Hollywood adaptation more than most other popular anime

4 minutes ago, exomassey said:

MCU is just turning into a more front-loaded franchise now.

It hasn’t helped with we have a new movie every 3 months and that most of them movies are poor.

Marvel is sort of fading away.

Fading away. Lol, some of you guys take these meltdowns to asinine levels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I’m in the theater waiting for this to start playing in imax 2d. All I ask is for it to be better than Thor: Love and Thunder…..it is better than L&T, right?

No.

19 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Wait, is this underperforming?

Assume you never looked at the tracking and hear its going to open to 95-100m OW. I would think that would sound good. Folks in this forum are spoilt as we have so much data and after humongous presales start expectations were wild. We have threads like Ant-man 3 opening greater than previous 2 movies opening combined as an example. 

• Like 3

I think there are for sure works to adapt to film and/or series from manga/anime. A lot of urasawa stuff would work great as series for example. Urasawa is amazing at building up the mystery and has very interesting premises, something like Monster or 20th century boys can go big for sure or pluto as films. There's popular works like Akira or Koe no katachi to pull from etc.

But a lot of people immediately think of long runners (and more specifically battle shonens) which can get tougher because they are not really made with a 2h payoff in mind. But still some are doable for sure with due changes (not all, mind you, but some). You might not catch the fans of the original at first but if the changes are effective and positive WOM spreads I am sure they would show up.

Main issue really isn't about the material but rather about competent writers which these adaptations usually do NOT get.

Edited by JustLurking

28 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Fading away. Lol, some of you guys take these meltdowns to asinine levels. 

The writing is all over the wall that MCU is in trouble if they can’t manage to put out a beloved movie much sooner than later. No one has been hooked on what they’ve sold post EG so far, and we are pretty deep in at this point.

The only two smashes (No way home and Wakanda) were huge for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with the MCU. Now they are pretty much out of those sort of movies to keep the gravy train rolling. Time to get people interested in the actual franchise again or the bottom will fall out within the next 1-2 years, lock it in. 

• Disbelief 1