kayumanggi

ELEMENTAL | 342.0M overseas | 496.4M worldwide

10 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Yeah well, Elemental is obviously having great legs and is having a great support by the first bad weather weekend in ages, but the sad truth is, that it will just barely crawl past 1m admissions and is battling Cars 3 as the 19th best Pixar-Admissions, only beating "Onward", "The Good Dinosaur" and "Toy Story 4".

I mean, how the mighty have fallen from the golden Pixar age in Germany. 

And Lightyear... (Not that that really counts xD).

Thinking it has a shot at Cars 3 - its at 915k after a 115k weekend, should have solid chance at 1.3-1.4m (but only if the weather stays rather rainy, which it right now mostly looks like).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Appears to be in Shinjuku Station, AKA busiest train station in the world. Also where they had Mission Impossible 7 ads

Hmm some people in the comments are saying the Elemental ads are fake but like why would someone do that.

And they say the reflections on the floor don't match but I can't really tell.

EDIT: I see the reflections are green while the content is not

Edited by cannastop

31 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Hmm some people in the comments are saying the Elemental ads are fake but like why would someone do that.

And they say the reflections on the floor don't match but I can't really tell.

EDIT: I see the reflections are green while the content is not

What the heck?

Not only do Japanese Elemental trailers and tv spots get hundreds of thousands, if not millions of views, there seems to be a discourse on Japanese youtube on whether or not Elemental will be preachy or not.

So yeah I think there's a reasonable amount of anticipation. Really wonder how many seats it will be allotted.

It shares a release date with Crayon Shin-chan and Transformers though... I already am sure it will be evenly matched with the former in seats but I don't know what they'll do about the latest Transformers.

It does look like another weekly drop of more than 30% for How Do You Live though so I expect it to lose seats next week.

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

Not only do Japanese Elemental trailers and tv spots get hundreds of thousands, if not millions of views, there seems to be a discourse on Japanese youtube on whether or not Elemental will be preachy or not.

So yeah I think there's a reasonable amount of anticipation. Really wonder how many seats it will be allotted.

It shares a release date with Crayon Shin-chan and Transformers though... I already am sure it will be evenly matched with the former in seats but I don't know what they'll do about the latest Transformers.

It does look like another weekly drop of more than 30% for How Do You Live though so I expect it to lose seats next week.

I think that Elemental could potentially break out in Japan like South Korea for the following reasons:

- the marketing has been great (the promos in Shinjuku and Ikebukoro train stations are real:

- Disney ran a promo where Wade or Ember will call you if you search for a location in Element City on the subway map:

- Ember is voiced by Haruna Kawaguchi who has the 14th most Instagram followers in Japan and Wade is voiced by Yuta Tamamori who is part of the popular band Kis-My-Ft2. They have been doing the rounds on popular Japanese game shows:

- In Japan we love a good romance, especially with male characters like Wade who is a bit shy and a gentlemen…

If WOM is strong, I think Elemental could be a monster in Japan.

Edited by noeliam
  • Like 13

I know that the correlation between SK box office and Japan box office has been lower in recent years, but a truly leggy run in SK usually translates into a big run in Japan (Aladdin, Bohemian Rhapsody, Frozen, Slam Dunk, Suzume) so I'm optimistic. This seems different to when a Marvel movie breaks out in SK and people wrongly assume that means it will breakout in Japan as well.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

I know that the correlation between SK box office and Japan box office has been lower in recent years, but a truly leggy run in SK usually translates into a big run in Japan (Aladdin, Bohemian Rhapsody, Frozen, Slam Dunk, Suzume) so I'm optimistic. This seems different to when a Marvel movie breaks out in SK and people wrongly assume that means it will breakout in Japan as well.

disney's struggles are a lot more unique to japan than other territories so the comparison in this case in particular feels a bit misplaced but we'll see what happens

what I can say is that if elemental goes on d+ in september in Japan it's probably a dead end, if not, we'll see what happens

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1