filmlover

The 95th Academy Awards official live feed thread | EEAAO and All Quiet win most of the awards. A24 reigns supreme and Asian Excellence is high

54 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't blame Angela Bassett. Big deal...she couldn't fake it. All these congrats, greetings are just for show. In reality, these are real people with real emotions. Do you think all these people smiling for the cameras don't feel envy, hate when they are losing? I don't wanna imagine all the hatred, backstabbing that goes on behind the scenes.

So what? Is this a reality show? If anyone  succumbed to their worst impulses, it would be a bloodbath, not an awards show. Bassett had all the time during JLC’s win to compose herself and she didn’t. She didn’t clap, she just displayed bitterness also at the end of JLC’s speech. 

Thought Butler would clinch it tbh...He will likely have a great career though. Already gotten big roles. And yea maybe this will give him some more drive to get it.Its not like Eddie redmayne , Brie Larson and rami Malek etc have had great careers post win.

Mescal was a pleasant surprise but his star is looking to shine bright too.

• Like 2

See The Most has already arrived right on schedule re: Angela Bassett's seemingly disappointed reaction.

I'm sad that she ended up becoming this season's Sylvester Stallone (early frontrunner whose momentum had stalled well before the ceremony following some big losses) but the fact she managed to be nominated again nearly 30 years after her first (for the longest time it did appear she would end her career a lone nominee) and for a Marvel movie is not exactly an easy feat either. Hopefully this will translate into better movie roles for her because looking at her filmography since her first nomination reveals that it makes sense why she hasn't been nominated since (the roles not being there and all that) and she could totally win with the right project.

The biggest surprise overall is how BAFTA went from all match with Oscar for top categories to all wrong in just 2 years? 

Also, seeing EEAAO achieve a bigger sweep than Parasite is kind of weird because the enthusiasm on the ground for Parasite I felt was a lot stronger. 

Just to concur with what people said I thought this was a very solid show all things considered. 

It was a little dry and straightforward but there was a reverence for the films and everyone's speeches were pretty great, I got pretty emotional with some of them.

Did I throw by arms up in frustration at All Quiet's below the line wins, absolutely! Did some people get played off too early, definitely! But that's the oscars. 

It probably helped the UK broadcast had none of these sponsored/promo segments that everyone was subjected to and just went to ad breaks. 

We need to take a moment and appreciate how JLC's Oscar history has gone from holding an adorable little puppy during In Memoriam at one ceremony to actually winning an Oscar at the following one. Love a good career story.

Edited by filmlover

4 hours ago, Xavier said:

So what? Is this a reality show? If anyone  succumbed to their worst impulses, it would be a bloodbath, not an awards show. Bassett had all the time during JLC’s win to compose herself and she didn’t. She didn’t clap, she just displayed bitterness also at the end of JLC’s speech. 

Not only that but she wasn't the frontrunner who expected to win but lost in a shocking upset. Supporting Actress was a 3-way race between her, JLC and Condon. Any of them could have won. So it wasn't like when Sam Mendes swept all Directing awards only to lose the Oscar to Bong Yoon Ho. And he composed himself and cheered the winner seconds after the shock. 

Bassett was lucky that she got this far with the role in the sequel that dropped hard from the first movie at the boxoffice and wasn't a pop cultural phenomenon. I still don't know why this performance of all Marvel performances in more successful and impactful movies (MBJ in BP anyone?) became Marvel's first acting nom but here we are. But she wasn't Joker in TDK and Joker so no win. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

28 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Avatar 2 get more Oscar than a lot of supposed actual best Picture contender like Banshees and Tar.

Someone should check the stats as to what's the most number of movies with 5 nominations or more to go home empty-handed in a single year because last night we had four (Elvis, Fabelmans, Banshees, Tar).