Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 03/31-04/02 | #FRI - D&D $15.3M, JW4 $7.9M, HOS - $2.1M, Scream VI $1.55M, Creed III $1.4M, Shazam $1.2M &1001 $700K

27 minutes ago, Eric is Norlar Aver said:

ANIME NERDS

Is this looking to be a big deal? Think this is coming to America in like two weeks or something.

Its certainly a big deal outside the US so far. But Shinkai movies havent been as big of deal in the US as anime films that are based on series, like Demon Slayer or JJK. Your Name grossed 5M back in 2016 and Weathering With You grossed 8M in 2019. Personally, i think this one could gross 10M+ because the hype is there in the anime community, but i dont see it breaking out in a big way right now.

40 minutes ago, Eric is Norlar Aver said:

Never played, so somebody can explain to this me, isn't Magic just a card game with no characters or lore? DnD is all about using your imagination and creating stories. Can't imagine you can do much from a movie off a card.

Magic does have it's own lore and multiverse which I imagine goes pretty deep, though I've never dug too deep into it myself as I don't play. A cursory google gave me this https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/feature/known-mutliverse-2008-03-19

I do know that many of the different planes that the cards/lore are based in have been made into campaign settings for DND. Plus there are tons of named characters and places, I think it would lend itself pretty well to a film/series

30 minutes ago, Eric is Norlar Aver said:

ANIME NERDS

Is this looking to be a big deal? Think this is coming to America in like two weeks or something.

It's the latest film from Makoto Shinkai and he has definitely been getting some recognition in the west because of his recent films. I would say that he's probably the most recognizable anime film maker outside Miyazaki for casual fans. Your Name and Weathering with You are his most recent films and they were quite successful for anime films. 

I'm not sure that this movie has the making of a breakout outside of the anime fanbase, but i would not be surprised to see many crowds of anime fans come out to see the movie. I haven't seen the film yet so I can only judge my feeling off of the trailer, but it seems to be in line with his other films.

58 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Kind of makes me wonder, why D&D go the film treatment and not Magic: The Gathering.

I mean D&D is niche, but Magic is considerably more niche. D&D has had three booms, Magic just one. And the lore in D&D is a fundamental part of the property - you can't engage in D&D without engaging with the lore, while the lore of Magic exists almost tangential to the gameplay and many players (in my experience) don't really engage with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric is Norlar Aver said:

Never played, so somebody can explain to this me, isn't Magic just a card game with no characters or lore? DnD is all about using your imagination and creating stories. Can't imagine you can do much from a movie off a card.

It is a card game, and I’m not super familiar with it, but there is quite a bit of lore and characters.

The title for Suzume is pretty terrible from a marketing standpoint for western audiences (tells you nothing and will be confusing for some not familiar enough to realize it’s a Japanese character name). And the trailers don’t do a good job selling a hook imo. Will be shocked if it does much. 

• ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The title for Suzume is pretty terrible from a marketing standpoint for western audiences (tells you nothing and will be confusing for some not familiar enough to realize it’s a Japanese character name). And the trailers don’t do a good job selling a hook imo. Will be shocked if it does much. 

Yeah man it'll join the ranks of Naruto there. 

• Disbelief 1

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anime films are niche regardless and shinkais name is the main selling point for the audience, it will do decent ish just based off that 

• Like 3

Makoto Shinkai films dont need the title as a selling point imo. Every possible (niche) audience member who is maybe willing to watch this movie knows of its existence per the anime community. The man is basically this generations Myazaki.

• Like 5

I mean I'm not expecting anything huge from Suzume in terms of breaking out towards the normies. Just was interested to know if the anime fans who went out for those Demon Slayers and Jujutsu Kaisens were excited or not.

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Yeah man it'll join the ranks of Naruto there. 

There is a pretty big difference between marketing a show and a movie using a character’s name. Movies that just use a generic name for their title rarely do well if you notice, unless they have brand recognition. Suzume could literally be anything. Anime is still too niche here to be nondescript in the marketing. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, GOGODanca said:

Anime films are niche regardless and shinkais name is the main selling point for the audience, it will do decent ish just based off that 

Will it? Neither YN or WWY did much DOM despite the hype. I doubt it beats WWY here. 

I’m infinitely more curious to see what How Will You Live will do DOM, since I think Miyazaki has amassed a legitimately massive following in the west since he “retired” a decade ago. Lots of Miyazaki movies have started to become animation staples in America over the last decade. 

Edited by MovieMan89

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

There is a pretty big difference between marketing a show and a movie using a character’s name. Movies that just use a generic name for their title rarely do well if you notice, unless they have brand recognition. Suzume could literally be anything. Anime is still too niche here to be nondescript in the marketing. 

Nobody mainstream is going to see it and no one in Japan is going to care about if Americans go to see it. Just a weird thing to throw at it.

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Will it? Neither YN or WWY did much DOM despite the hype. I doubt it beats WWY here. 

I’m infinitely more curious to see what How Will You Live will do DOM, since I think Miyazaki has amassed a legitimately massive following in the west since he “retired” a decade ago. Lots of Miyazaki movies have started to become animation staples in America over the last decade. 

the anime base has grown since when wwy came out and most everywhere suzume is considered better film, making more than 10m shouldn't be difficult

Just now, Mulder said:

Nobody mainstream is going to see it and no one in Japan is going to care about if Americans go to see it. Just a weird thing to throw at it.

The q was predictions for it, and I’m saying the marketing and title are too vague for it to be any kind of anime breakout. It will do your standard 3-6m DOM for these anime movies.