Eric is Quiet

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

10 minutes ago, bryaalre said:

I am not sure if this is 100% true.  I know more families who know the Disney or Pixar brand more than Illumination.

I think it will be telling with how well migration does.  Illumination has not come out with an original movie since Sing in 2016.  It has been all sequels and established IPs, whereas Disney and Pixar has only done originals since the start of 2020.

Disney brand is clearly stronger based on the extensive history. However, Illumination has done a remarkable job of building up brand awareness. The title card with the Minions is highly effective in teaching kids that it's from the same studio.

Just now, grey ghost said:

Wolf of Wall Street, Joker, Vanilla Sky and Inception.

So edgy but high quality movies for guys or trippy high quality movies with a twist ending.

Seems like for most other types of movies the cinemascore is a strong indicator.

I loooooove Vanilla Sky.

18 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I can say that too if Japanese consider Minion as equal to Demon Slayer in Japan. 

Majority of Manga Series overseas numbers came from kids demography. Adults have lesser share. & Pretty much uninterested in our works (they themselves called it a kid shows) unless they need to read subtitles for their kids. That's said it's kids demography film regardless of whatever ratings MPAA gives. Audiences are mainly kids and their parents.

Also, we gave Frozen - all-time 4th Highest Grossing Film in Japan - $249M

Tell me a single country who have given $200M to any of our critics acclaimed works. None. Not even $100M either. 98% 99% RT, A CinemaScore is worthless for any of our works

Edited by Issac Newton

1 hour ago, thedude11 said:

that is simply not true about illumination as a brand. parents 100% know who illumination is and bring their kids to their movies 

Nonsense. Ask parents walking into the theater which studio made TSMBM. You’ll receive more incorrect Disney responses than you will Illumination answers. There may be some brand recognition but it’s a fairly small amount.

1 hour ago, thedude11 said:

that is simply not true about illumination as a brand. parents 100% know who illumination is and bring their kids to their movies 

I bet people from adult to kids know both Queen Elsa and Disney but you can't say that to Illimitation and Minion. Minion as a characters under illumination simply outshine its franchise holder. 

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

Universal and Paramount are really saving theatrical business with so much variety of content 

Really good for both

I just wish DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES made more. 😔

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, kayumanggi said:

I just wish DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES made more. 😔

It's gonna be the Shazam 1/Endgame problem - completely bad release date for a good movie sucked into the juggernaut...

Any underperforming March movie should have thought about January and early Feb this year...but they all thought they'd perform and they all had blockbuster budgets, so here we are.

6 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

It's not going to have CBM legs...Let's nip that notion at the bud

Sony is handing Overseas. Korea each WKend increase was incredible, making it 3rd Highest Grossing Animated Film in Korea behind two Frozen Films. China was also incredible will do $120M in Full Run. 

May not be same Europe but will surely interesting to see how reception goes for this film outside Asia.