Eric Prime

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

1 minute ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

It's not even toddlers. They were fine. My screening had a bunch of 9-year-olds who were acting like animals during the entire screening. Even left a giant popcorn mess that was probably a pain for the ushers. Plus they were the kind of annoying kids who love to be the loudest person in the room and disrupt everybody else who want to watch a movie. I can't imagine being those boys' mothers.

Yeah boys are wild for sure.

I'm glad my youngest is a girl. 

Boomer Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

9 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Because Zootopia,Raya,The Boss Baby,Home, Rio 2... decreased after God's Friday

Ok. Uber openers have spillover audience that helps it have better than norm holds. Plus you are comparing a mega opener in its OW to a movie in its 4th weekend(Zootopia). Not a great comp at all. All other movies are too small to be good comps. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

well, there are certain  circumstances that make dunking on the Mario movie particularly fun

I am a big Nintendo fan (ask my wii u), but I've found the trailers to be dreadful (looked like the most 50 on Metacritic movie of all time), but apparently, I belong to a very small minority. Because trailer making is an art most studios are very competent in, it's very rare for me to end up with a dramatically different opinion than mainstream audiences in regards to a trailer's quality. 

Its the "me against the world" protecting the sanctity of cinema (ok the sanctity of cinema part is a bit of a joke), that makes my "hate-on" an entertaining experience

The movie has already succeeded and I have lost the fight (I still have the MC score for cope though), but I can still get some fun out of it by teasing those that think that this getting 3x legs off the 5-day is the base scenario and not an insane accomplishment  

Really? The way you've been against this I would have thought you'd throw out your wiiu in the trash. /s

4 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'm not certain this will mean other video game movies will break out... I think the biggest are obviously Sonic from SEGA, Crash from SONY PS and Mario from NINTENDO. Zelda would be up there too. Also, unlike super hero movies before the boom we'd seen breakouts like Superman '78, Batman '89, Spider-man '02, etc. We've really not seen a video game with a ton of admissions yet until now with Mario. It's kind of like how other dino/kaiju movies can be big but there's only one Jurassic at the box office. I think Mario is that much bigger in terms of wide appeal other than everything else aside from maybe Crash, Sonic, Zelda.

Zelda can be a live action giga monster if it has Tom Holland as Link, Zendaya as Zelda levels of fancasting and a pretty solid script (which is doable as it has lore unlike Mario).

1 hour ago, TheFlatLannister said:

$225M+ OW, Strong WOM, and it only needs a 3x multi...Yeah Avatar 2 might be going down

:sparta:

Its not getting 225mil OW, and its a 5 day opening anyway.

The film wont be within 150mil of A2 domestic, or a billion WW.

Why are people losing all logic over this movie lol?

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 4

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Because big openings are exciting and defy logic [until the second weekend come and normally ends the party]

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

You don't see this doing a billion worldwide? If this does $200 Million Domestic over 5 Days, I think it will be hard not to get to $1 Billion Worldwide. $575 Domestic / $425 Overseas gets there

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah boys are wild for sure.

I'm glad my youngest is a girl. 

Boomer Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I was very well behaved going out as a kid, even when I was a toddler. My parents can only recall one tantrum in public and that was when I was a toddler. I was told to behave or we won’t go back. Like I was told when we to ToysRUs when we could get a toy or just looking and I was keep a straight face the whole time.

Then again, I was an easy kid.

47 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The sale to get the first month of Gold at only $5 a month ends this weekend! Or get a whole years worth of Gold for only $100 instead of $165!

I'm ready for the summer!

high roller laughing GIF

• Thanks 1

Just now, JayPrimetown said:

You don't see this doing a billion worldwide? If this does $200 Million Domestic over 5 Days, I think it will be hard not to get to $1 Billion Worldwide. $575 Domestic / $425 Overseas gets there

he meant Mario WW will be less than A2 WW - 1B. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

We haven’t had a big kids movie do this well since 2019, and the last big non Disney kids movie to this caliber is almost unseen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayPrimetown said:

I think he said the WW total will be a billion less than A2 [which is reasonable, even if i personally think it can ended up with 1.5B instead of 1.3B]

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Because big openings are exciting and defy logic [until the second weekend come and normally ends the party]

Yeah but we get multiple big opening films every year, and people dont lose logic as much as with this film for some reason.

Anyway I'm going to get my long term predicitions in before reality dawns in the coming weeks -

450-500mil US

900-1bil WW.

Now bring on the smilies!.

3 minutes ago, JayPrimetown said:

I said it wont get within a billion of A2 WW, A2 is at 2.3bil.

And yes i just did my prediction above, 900-1bil WW.

Just now, stuart360 said:

Yeah but we get multiple big opening films every year, and people dont lose logic as much as with this film for some reason.

Anyway I'm going to get my long term predicitions in before reality dawns in the coming weeks -

450-500mil US

900-1bil WW.

Now bring on the smilies!.

500M DOM seems reasonable, i think 550-600M is more likely with a 215M extended OW 

but the WW seems really low, this is huge in every country i look minus China, should do at least 800M OS