Eric Prime

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

47 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Did “Air” really cost $70-90m? If so, that $5m Friday isn’t all that impressive.

Everyone in the cast/crew got the streaming movie money and Amazon only decided to release it in theaters after test screenings. In a world whete Nancy Meyers dared to ask $150 million from Netflix for a contemporary romcom, Air's budget might seem reasonable to a streamer.

Air's 5-day opening will be strong enough for a positive spin (there are six 2022 Best Picture nominees with grosses under $18 million domestic), and the theatrical run (especially if it's leggy) is good advertising for its eventual PVOD/streaming release. With its reviews, it even has a shot for awards contention. Amazon wasn't in it for theatrical profitability.

Speaking of Amazon (and air), did anyone watch On a Wing and a Prayer? Dennis Quaid's pilot dies on him and he has to land a plane with the help of good Christian wife/mother Heather Graham:

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I think the thing people are maybe overlooking in SMB performance is that the character has been around for so damn long and this is it's first proper representation in a movie. It's been pretty much just games for 30 years.  This is the very first time anyone is getting to see Mario as he is in the games, but on the big screen.

From what I can tell by the wiki for Pokemon films, there was one a year for like 20 damn years!  And the first few got stateside releases and did pretty well!  But, point being,  if you have ever wanted to watch a movie with your favorite Pokemons, you could!

This is literally it for Mario, and it will never be bigger than this and Pokemon will never come close, sorry. 

I'm an ancient BOT member who mostly just lurks here these days but wanted to +1 this.

Mario's success seems to me seems like Wonder Woman 2017's in that regard-- and even WW's opening was deflated somewhat by WB wasting the first legit big-screen appearance of the character in BvS. But the movie ended up taking off because it was representative of everything people liked about the Wonder Woman character, just done really well. Considering how many ironic or comedic takes on Wonder Woman almost got made leading up to that movie, it's kind of amazing the movie they landed on didn't reinvent the wheel.

I think a movie set in Detective Pikachu's Pokemon City that was actually about Ash/May/Brock would've been twice as big as Detective Pikachu ended up being. From a visual/verisimilitude perspective, the world of that movie was on target (and I presume why they're now developing a sequel), but you need to make a legit live-action Pokemon movie played straight before you do anything like Pikachu talking. Hiring Ryan Reynolds to voice him a couple years after Deadpool feels like the people producing a Pokemon movie not having faith in a Pokemon movie. This plagued the original Mario movie too, and why the new one is both incredibly basic and successful as a movie-- it plays into every major association people have with the property.

The LEGO Movie almost feels like the exception to this idea because the association people have with LEGO is building them, not any of the characters. So that movie needed to feel as new and inventive as building a LEGO set is.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

I'm an ancient BOT member who mostly just lurks here these days but wanted to +1 this.

Mario's success seems to me seems like Wonder Woman 2017's in that regard-- and even WW's opening was deflated somewhat by WB wasting the first legit big-screen appearance of the character in BvS. But the movie ended up taking off because it was representative of everything people liked about the Wonder Woman character, just done really well. Considering how many ironic or comedic takes on Wonder Woman almost got made leading up to that movie, it's kind of amazing the movie they landed on didn't reinvent the wheel.

I think a movie set in Detective Pikachu's Pokemon City that was actually about Ash/May/Brock would've been twice as big as Detective Pikachu ended up being. From a visual/verisimilitude perspective, the world of that movie was on target (and I presume why they're now developing a sequel), but you need to make a legit live-action Pokemon movie played straight before you do anything like Pikachu talking. Hiring Ryan Reynolds to voice him a couple years after Deadpool feels like the people producing a Pokemon movie not having faith in a Pokemon movie. This plagued the original Mario movie too, and why the new one is both incredibly basic and successful as a movie-- it plays into every major association people have with the property.

The LEGO Movie almost feels like the exception to this idea because the association people have with LEGO is building them, not any of the characters. So that movie needed to feel as new and inventive as building a LEGO set is.

misty bud...

• Haha 1

Mario is by far the most popular video game series of all time to people who don't really play many video games. My grandma is in her 80s, her or her children never had video games in their house but she would still know who Mario and Luigi are. Pokémon might be equally as popular with Gen Y, but doesn't hold a candle to Mario in other generations. I am a cusper of Gen Y/Z and I can tell you Pokémon still has a lot of fans my age but it was more popular when my sisters who are both in their 30s grew up. Now don't get me wrong a Pokémon movie could still do excellent and hit 100m+ on opening weekend, but I think Mario is about as popular you get can with the younger extremes and the older extremes of moviegoers. 

Mario, Pokemon and maybe Zelda and Animal Crossing are popular enough to get blockbuster returns on. Other franchises like Star Fox, Metroid, etc. are far more risky and would need to have big appeal to non-fans if Universal want to make something that can compete with the MCU.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I need air numbers please 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/Atmosphere_gas_proportions.svg/800px-Atmosphere_gas_proportions.svg.png

This, however, centers on the Composition of Earth's atmosphere by molecular count, excluding water vapor.

• Like 4
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15
  • Astonished 3
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Lake said:

As for Detective Pikachu, I remember it had weird marketing choices. They spent a lot of time and money targeting the "wrong" demographics (and taking families for granted). Like their insane placements at Coachella, for instance.

https://www.thewrap.com/neon-carnival-lights-up-coachella-stagecoach-party-scenes-with-detective-pikachu-photos/

lol

from my point of view, one of the main things that ended up making Mario a (financial) success, was the fact that Nintendo was fully on board, Detective Pikachu, outside of the IP, never really made an attempt to court Nintendo fans; by making Nintendo directs focused solely on the movie, they told Nintendo fans, and most importantly, nintendo-related "influencers" that it was okay (and maybe even expected)  to be excited about the movie 

you can talk kids all you want, but 62% of the audience were 18 to 34 year olds

pretty solid marketing plan

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

A conservative guess from here:

Sunday gets a 40% drop (sonic and dumbledore last year both did around 40%)

~50m weekdays this week (16+14+10.5+9.5), more like Furious 7 than sonic, I don't see a mega opener following sonics weekdays which was in its 2nd week.

~70m next FSS (+110%, +50%, -30%)

= 325 ish

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MattW said:

~50m weekdays this week (16+14+10.5+9.5), more like Furious 7 than sonic, I don't see a mega opener following sonics weekdays which was in its 2nd week.

= 325 ish

Despicable me 2 did 32% of its 5-day on weekend 2, so 70 seems reasonable 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MattW said:

= 325 ish

I don't think a mega opener like this is gonna drop 40% on Sunday

• Like 1

I'm not too much on the Mario's bandwagon but fuck it, if this is going to do gangbuster #'s Worldwide, I hope this dethrones fucking Frozen. Cannot stand that movie being #1..

Edited by tupek
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1