Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

Just now, Plain Old Tele said:

No, they should absolutely NOT promote movies right now. Sheesh, Tom. That’s one of the major ways SAG being on strike helps their union. 

Tom's trying to be the peace broker here. Don't think it will work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Tom's trying to be the peace broker here. Don't think it will work.

I'd love to see a screaming match between Cruise and Fran Drescher, I think I'd know who'd win that one and it ain't Cruise,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

No, they should absolutely NOT promote movies right now. Sheesh, Tom. That’s one of the major ways SAG being on strike helps their union. 

Agreed. I was hesitant to praise Cruise here because of that.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I'd love to see a screaming match between Cruise and Fran Drescher, I think I'd know who'd win that one and it ain't Cruise,

Sure Fran could come up with some interesting Yiddish names for Cruise.

44 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It seems so silly that Universal is putting out Trolls 3 and Migration about a month apart with the former opening less than a week before Wish. Since some of the animated movies have already been reported as seeing voice-acting halted due to the strike (Spider-Man obviously but also Kung Fu Panda, Despicable Me, and Transformers) I could see them pushing Migration to the spring and moving Trolls to Christmas weekend to give it and Wish more breathing room from each other.

Voice acting is one of those things where I suspect they've probably most of the work already since it's done in sessions so I imagine the early 2024 animated films are likely unaffected or only slightly affected. 

Trolls has an October release OS, it would make more sense to just release Trolls three weeks earlier.

6 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i don't think stars should promote stuff for premieres or interviews , but i do think it should be ok for actors to promote smaller films on social media at least

Independent productions have an avenue to reach out to SAG for this (and more). As long as they’re not an AMPTP signatory and they’re willing to sign SAG’s deal, they can do so. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Porthos said:

A two act play on Twitter:

(for context, Eman Esfandi is portraying Ezra in the upcoming Ahsoka series on D+)

Third act would be the appearance of Emaan Esfandi

• Haha 1

Can someone explain to me how this Tweet makes sense?

$498 million/5 years = $99.4 million a year

Like, I agree executives need to get a pay cut, but let's not pretend $450 million = $99.4 million

These bullshit comparisons also hurt those striking because even people who aren't good at math know that 1 year and five years are two different amounts of time.

And for a journalist, it's really weird not to add commentary.

5 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Like, I agree executives need to get a pay cut, but let's not pretend $450 million = $99.4 million

These bullshit comparisons also hurt those striking because even people who aren't good at math know that 1 year and five years are two different amounts of time.

they should just post Amazon's LOTR budget.

1 minute ago, Gavin Feng said:

they should just post Amazon's LOTR budget.

Budgets are being used as a scapegoat (it's leading to critics going after actors), so that would be even worse. It also feeds into the fandom wars, which is really dumb.

I just think it's weird to say "they made $400 million in five years. They can afford to spend $400 million yearly." It's super weird. CEOs make too much, but there are much better arguments than this statistic comparison.

31 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

That's also just ONE executive making that much.  

You add all those others up and it's about $1.5B over 5 years or $290m/year.

Still not quite the  $450-600m, but a lot closer and better context.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

That's also just ONE executive making that much.  

You add all those others up and it's about $1.5B over 5 years or $290m/year.

Still not quite the  $450-600m, but a lot closer and better context.

They certainly need to make a large fraction less, all of them, but I hate misleading math.