Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

I still don’t understand the cost of most of these “blockbuster” IP streaming shows? Almost none of them have looked nearly that expensive. 

Speaking of looking expensive, where do VFX artists fall in all this? Are they not unionized? They sound like they get the worst treatment of literally anyone in the filmmaking process, so I’m surprised this strike isn’t more about them too… 

• Like 1

Well VFX companies are also often international, so unionizing is a bit more difficult. The Marvel Studios stuff might change things stateside with the IATSE but there's lots, lots of VFX stuff all over the world. The Marvel Studios union is also specifically people who work at Marvel Studios, vs the many, many, many more VFX companies that work for studios like Marvel.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JWR said:

It's time we acknowledge that the WGA as an organization doesn't want a paradigm shift. We had a few writers outspoken that the leaks were a way to make the WGA look bad, and yet they're meeting today, a day earlier than expected.

I still think the non-union folks weirdly obsessed with these strikes are going to be very upset when both of them end and not much has really changed overall. The WGA and SAG are not looking to burn everything down, just get paid a bit more.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
words

6 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It's time we acknowledge that the WGA as an organization doesn't want a paradigm shift. We had a few writers outspoken that the leaks were a way to make the WGA look bad, and yet they're meeting today, a day earlier than expected.

I still think the non-union folks weirdly obsessed with these strikes are going to be very upset when both of them end and not much has really changed overall. The WGA and SAG are not looking to burn everything down, just get paid a bit more.

Exactly.I support the strike, but people here who seem to think it will start the Great People;s Revolution are going to be dissapointed.

But then I get a bit tired of the dime store cliched "Anti Capitalist" crap you see here anyway.

• Like 2

Social media overdramatizes everything, it's why I largely try to avoid snap reacting to any updates coming through on this. 

I get why people want to present a paradigm-shifting narrative publicly though, it's like when you negotiate a salary you always start higher than your realistic expectation so your employer is willing to go down to it. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Yet by posting these articles here you're doing the job they want you to do, you're giving the trades money by doing this which is feeding the greedy ceo's. 

....the article is free? And the tweet embed is also free? What are you talking about lmao

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

....the article is free? And the tweet embed is also free? What are you talking about lmao

Articles have advertising, and Twitter views and engagement on tweets are metrics for success with media outlets.

The trades are all owned by Penske Media which owns member studios of the AMPTP. Some very pro-WGA/SAG people feel the trades have a pro-producer bias in their coverage about the strikes, therefore no one should even link their articles let alone read/discuss their contents. They want everyone to get their strike coverage in other ways.

Distant has reappeared on Universal's schedule for January, when it's already had 3 announced release dates before being pulled. For a while, it seemed like they'd move it straight to streaming. Strike reprieve?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

2 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It's time we acknowledge that the WGA as an organization doesn't want a paradigm shift.

Structurally things need to be adjusted (as well as pay), but you’re not wrong that it can and should be straightforward. That’s on the AMPTP, though.

Ironically, a good chunk of the re-structuring would be an partial return to how things used to be: 2-pass payments on features, TV residuals for streaming/other media, TV writers being kept on thru production, and just flat-out paying people on time instead of months and months later. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

I think this was always gonna go on a few weeks at least because neither side wants to look like they're giving in easily

Bingo!

No one's been expecting the strike to be resolved tomorrow or even this week. But as long as discussions continue (and no public animosity comes from either side), it's a sign that progress is being made and will continue until there actually is a light at the end of the tunnel.