Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

30 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Fingers crossed we get the actual news soon. If not over the weekend, 1st thing on Monday. I presume once the notification is done, even before ratification, actors can promote their movies. Brie and others go kray promoting Marvels 🙂 She along with rest of cast/crew will be also at Las Vegas Fan screening if the strike is off by then. 

Nothing like jumping on the Titanic as it is sinking. 

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

Artificial intelligence remains among the most difficult issues to resolve. The union has communicated that it must have certain protections against the creation of “digital doubles,” and it appears the studios’ latest offer still does not quite get there.

It remains unclear whether a deal can be reached this weekend.

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/sag-aftra-more-time-respond-negotiations-1235780292/

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't think they'll accept the offer. What about those movies/shows that go direct to streaming. If they are not massively successful, then the actors get nothing. hmm

The actors would get the the regular residuals, which admittedly aren't big.

That said, the WGA accepted a similar deal for residuals and bonus.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't think they'll accept the offer. What about those movies/shows that go direct to streaming. If they are not massively successful, then the actors get nothing. hmm

They get paid upfront too I’m not sure anyone is expecting to get paid residuals for shows that aren’t successful are they? I mean I’m sure they would like to but you get paid upfront and if the project makes no money then why would you get paid on the back end? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

They get paid upfront too I’m not sure anyone is expecting to get paid residuals for shows that aren’t successful are they? I mean I’m sure they would like to but you get paid upfront and if the project makes no money then why would you get paid on the back end? 

You are right

Edited by Maggie

2 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Best and Final Offer just like last time with WGA, studios feel their offer should get accepted based on the negotiations they previously had.

If SAG decides to play any games, see you in 2024.

What the studios consider to be best is not nessarily what sag considers to be best. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

Basically it means any show that doesn't make successful viewership numbers does not get a cut of streaming revenue. Which is the smart thing to do.

The problem is that right now we don't have a reliable source for viewing figures on streaming. The streaming giants just make up numbers so how will we know if the studios are going to be honest with their numbers?

In addition this whole back end thing sounds like a deal for big Hollywood actors, your average SAG actor doesnt get residuals from the success of TV Shows. So whats the benefits of this deal for the typical SAG member besides the AI part>

22 minutes ago, joselowe said:

The problem is that right now we don't have a reliable source for viewing figures on streaming. The streaming giants just make up numbers so how will we know if the studios are going to be honest with their numbers?

In addition this whole back end thing sounds like a deal for big Hollywood actors, your average SAG actor doesnt get residuals from the success of TV Shows. So whats the benefits of this deal for the typical SAG member besides the AI part>

This situation was already solved in the WGA deal. The AMPTP will share the real numbers with the guilds in a confidential agreement. 

It would be illegal for the studios to lie about these numbers.

About the regular actors, they don't receive residuals from the success of streaming shows, but they would still have certain increase on their income. That said, the increase would likely be similar to the increase for writers or directors.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1