Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

I know pessimism is the name of the game but cinemas won't be shut down by next year. People forget that other countries have film and TV industries that are still producing content.

In terms of actors, it does surprise me that we haven't seen more bigger names do theatre during this time but I'm guessing it's too risky in case the SAG strike ended and they turned down a bigger project.

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

If the AI piece was there, the other issues would resolve themselves. AI is truly existential and as many of us were saying at the beginning of the strikes the results of this language will affect every industry in America moving forward from teachers to therapists and more. This is the exact thing to hold out on. If it was just the numbers on the other issues it'd probably be over, but this is bigger than that.

TBH I think if Governments are wary of AI then I can't see it being used to replace actors by studios.

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Imo they can wait until January and be in a similar situation that they are now, but SAG would pass the holidays without money and resources which is cruel. 

This. They're not gonna just throw in the towel on talks until January even if that's the earliest productions can resume.

16 minutes ago, motionpic05 said:

In all seriousness, is there a chance the major chains shut down at some point due to lack of product? 

We'll just get more re-releases of older movies like we have this fall. That's how theaters (who need the concession money) filled their screens during the pandemic when so many titles were delayed.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

We'll just get more re-releases of older movies like we have this fall. That's how theaters (who need the concession money) filled their screens during the pandemic when so many titles were delayed.

Honestly I think cinemas should pad out their schedules with a few global releases, we've seen foreign films perform well in recent times.

I think The Lion King will get a rerelease although I suspect with it being the 30th anniversary, it was on the cards. The 3D rerelease in 2011 was very successful.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I know pessimism is the name of the game but cinemas won't be shut down by next year. People forget that other countries have film and TV industries that are still producing content.

In terms of actors, it does surprise me that we haven't seen more bigger names do theatre during this time but I'm guessing it's too risky in case the SAG strike ended and they turned down a bigger project.

Name one single person here who thinks studios or cinemas will shut down.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This. They're not gonna just throw in the towel on talks until January even if that's the earliest productions can resume.

got i hope

get re-releases of older stuff is fun

Hollywood might be dead for some months, if the strike keeps going.

So, time to focus on Bollywood for a while. Lots of great foreign movies. Studios can buy them for domestic releases and marketing. I guess the cast can even promote them, because they aren't part of the SAG.

By the way, hopefully Tiger 3 is good.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Major chains, no. There are still far more blockbusters next year than last year even accounting for delays. I also read some chains like Cinemark and Drafthouse had record Q3s. Maybe some indie/arthouse/non-profits will go down (not sure though), but those are a very small portion of the overall BO.

Are you saying there are More blockbuster films next year vs this year?  The release schedule next year is very weak IMO but theaters have plenty of films to stay afloat.

So I've thought about it some more, and after futher contemplation I believe that there strike isn't ending until 2024, a walkaway will happen tonight, and that movies are doomed in 2024. I take no pleasure in reporting this shift.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hopefully SAG-AFTRA can avoid additional publicity snafus like the Halloween costume rules as this looks like it might potentially go on even longer. We better get some good side-eye photos (between AMPTP and SAG-AFTRA members, SAG-AFTRA leaders and other actors, etc.) out of all this once this is over to have made it all actually worth it.

Edited by filmlover

Just now, filmlover said:

Hopefully SAG-AFTRA can avoid additional publicity snafus like the Halloween costume rules as this looks like it might potentially go on even longer. Hopefully we get some good side-eye photos (between AMPTP and SAG-AFTRA members, SAG-AFTRA leaders and other actors, etc.) out of all this once this is over to have made it all actually worth it.

Honestly, the famous actors will be back with the execs at parties, that's not even something that'll ever go away.

I think with AI regulations coming in laws, the studios will likely give in either way. 

I'm sorry I missed the part of the SAG statement where they said the AMPTP is walking away and refusing to talk anymore nor has the AMPTP come out and said we are done you know where to find us. Yet. Maybe the usual Eyores and pessimists should wait until any of that happens to do all the sky is falling stuff. Just saying.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Anyone who thinks theaters will die in a year is obviously very dramatic. That said, I do wonder what the extent of consumer entertainment habits changing might be if there’s not much tv or film next year. I think it could be a real thing that happens. And then maybe it’s the catalyst for the death of theaters several years the line. 

• Like 1