Eric the Ape

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

17 minutes ago, Youngstar said:

according to this(https://www.sagaftra.org/about/governance/national-board) the board has 76 members, which means around 11 members voted against it, which seems like a lot tbh. Curious to see the deal and if members will approve it.

Members will likely approve it. Mosr actors want to return to work, while the deal has protections and benefits.

• Like 1

re: residuals

The union achieved the creation of a new compensation stream for performers working in streaming. It provides a substantial bonus on top of existing residuals structures making work in streaming more sustainable for middle class actors. The majority of that compensation will be paid to actors on programs meeting certain viewership requirements. The remaining money will be distributed to other actors working on those streaming platforms through a new, jointly-trusteed distribution fund. This ensures improved compensation and sustainability for a wider range of actors contributing to the success of those platforms. The agreement also adds fixed residuals for stunt coordinators working on television and new media productions.

Looks to be based largely on the WGA structure, but with an added distribution fund.

Well beyond my scope of expertise so no comment from Yours Truly

• Like 1

For folks wondering:

In keeping with the National Board’s prior policy resolution, the national referendum for the TV/Theatrical contracts will be conducted via an online vote to ratify the contracts. Traditional paper ballots will also be available on request to any eligible voter who asks for such a ballot. Members who are eligible to vote will receive a postcard with ballot instructions explaining how to vote electronically or how to request a paper ballot. The postcard will be mailed to members on or about Tuesday, November 14. Ratification votes received by the voting deadline of Tuesday, December 5 (electronically or by mail) will be tabulated on the same day. Informational meetings for members across the country to discuss the tentative agreement are scheduled beginning the week of November 13, 2023. Information about the agreement will also be posted online prior to the balloting period at sagaftra.org/contracts2023.

won't know until Dec 5th (or the 6th, depending on how fast the tabulation is) whether or not this deal will be ratified.  Though I suspect we'll get a sense if the vote will be contentious/close well before then.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

For folks wondering:

won't know until Dec 5th (or the 6th, depending on how fast the tabulation is) whether or not this deal will be ratified.  Though I suspect we'll get a sense if the vote will be contentious/close well before then.

So we really can't breath a sigh of relief for another 3 or so weeks. I know tenative means tenative but the leadership would not accepting this vote if they thought it would not be ratified and business in hollywood would not commence again if so. Right Right?

Just now, emoviefan said:

So we really can't breath a sigh of relief for another 3 or so weeks. I know tenative means tenative but the leadership would not accepting this vote if they thought it would not be ratified and business in hollywood would not commence again if so. Right Right?

I mean, leaderships have been surprised before in labor votes.  Will say that the fact that it wasn't an unanimous vote to accept the recommendation does mean this isn't an automatic slam dunk.  Plausible, without commenting if it's likely or not, there will be a dissident faction which will push for rejecting the deal and holding out for a better one.  Even if folks do "want to get back to work" as has been said more than once by punters in this thread, strikes also have a way of radicalizing folks. 

How much traction that surmised group gets I couldn't say.   Any and all social media carping will be a very dangerous tea leaf to read as carping on social media is... Well, if someone planned on giving everyone in the US gold coins free of charge, no strings attached, some folks would be whining about the inflationary aspects while others would whine about privilege while others would...

Well, the point is: Not exactly hard to find folks whining about anything and everything on social media, whether it's good or bad.  It's whether or not said whining gains any real traction or not.  

Will say it'll probably —  Plausibly? Potentially?  Eh, some combination of that but let's go with "probably" — probably be fairly apparently somewhat quickly whether or not there is real opposition to this deal or if it's just a few loud mouths on Twitter and elsewhere.  

So, no, I think the "sigh of relief" can probably be made within a week or so, if no real opposition materializes to this deal.  Then it'll just be a matter of formalities.

Probably. 🙂 

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, leaderships have been surprised before in labor votes.  Will say that the fact that it wasn't an unanimous vote to accept the recommendation does mean this isn't an automatic slam dunk.  Plausible, without commenting if it's likely or not, there will be a dissident faction which will push for rejecting the deal and holding out for a better one.  Even if folks do "want to get back to work" as has been said more than once by punters in this thread, strikes also have a way of radicalizing folks. 

How much traction that surmised group gets I couldn't say.   Any and all social media carping will be a very dangerous tea leaf to read as carping on social media is... Well, if someone planned on giving everyone in the US gold coins free of charge, no strings attached, some folks would be whining about the inflationary aspects while others would whine about privilege while others would...

Well, the point is: Not exactly hard to find folks whining about anything and everything on social media, whether it's good or bad.  It's whether or not said whining gains any real traction or not.  

Will say it'll probably —  Plausibly? Potentially?  Eh, some combination of that but let's go with "probably" — probably be fairly apparently somewhat quickly whether or not there is real opposition to this deal or if it's just a few loud mouths on Twitter and elsewhere.  

So, no, I think the "sigh of relief" can probably be made within a week or so, if no real opposition materializes to this deal.  Then it'll just be a matter of formalities.

Probably. 🙂 

I got you.  I am Still very much Pro Sag but yeah if this gets voted down then the AMPTP is going to say F all of you. Eat yourself from within for all we care.

10 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

What I said earlier if this gets rejected because the Justine Batemans rally the majority to vote it down. The AMPTP is gonna say go ahead eat yourself from within. 

Justine Bateman is not a big name, don't worry about it.