The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

19 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

With the strike going on somethings gotta give unless Zassy is perfectly fine with having 3 wb movies go up against each other in consecutive weeks and eat at one anothers total box office revenue.

What with everything that's happened in the last few weeks, I'd be very surprised if WB were still operating as they are now by the end of the year.

38 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

With the strike going on somethings gotta give unless Zassy is perfectly fine with having 3 wb movies go up against each other in consecutive weeks and eat at one anothers total box office revenue.

I mean, there have been times in the past when WB released 5-6 movies in the same month. Granted, it was the 1930s, so the entertainment landscape was..somewhat different than the current one.

One studio releasing 3 movies in a week and a half would have been a lot for 2019, let alone now. And if the strike really drags out to December... At least The Color Purple has Oprah and Spielberg producing, and she is pretty active on Instagram.

Netflix releases weekly Top 10s but why not all the numbers? I think the daily Nielsen cable ratings would list the Top 150 shows.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

None of those movies have audiences that crossover.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Netflix releases weekly Top 10s but why not all the numbers? I think the daily Nielsen cable ratings would list the Top 150 shows.

Yeah, "WE RELEASE THE TOP TEN! TAKE THAT HATERS!!!" is a ludicrous defense and they ought to be embarrassed for even going there.

(they won't, mind — but they should)

• Like 6

Are folks online really believing rumors that Bob Iger is going to sell ABC, Hulu, etc.?

I mean, I get that people want to pretend these studios are failing because of streaming, but taking these rumors as truth just makes it look like SAG and WGA's demands are unreasonable.

"We can't pay writers or actors. Look, we're barely staying afloat."

Can't people smell the BS?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Are folks online really believing rumors that Bob Iger is going to sell ABC, Hulu, etc.?

I mean, I get that people want to pretend these studios are failing because of streaming, but taking these rumors as truth just makes it look like SAG and WGA's demands are unreasonable.

"We can't pay writers or actors. Look, we're barely staying afloat."

Can't people smell the BS?

Tbh, at this point there’s been too many rumors for too long of Iger wanting to sell at least some aspect of Disney (if not all of it) for it to just all be unfounded. Esp now that they need to stop sinking. 

42 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Tbh, at this point there’s been too many rumors for too long of Iger wanting to sell at least some aspect of Disney (if not all of it) for it to just all be unfounded. Esp now that they need to stop sinking. 

There is a huge difference between wanting to sell off certain assets of Disney, and selling the whole damn company.

3 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

None of those movies have audiences that crossover.

Oh please.It like if you are interested in one sort of movie you can;t be interested in another.

Those who limit themselves to one type of movie are fools.

19 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

He can write to his heart’s content. He cannot reach out to any AMPTP signatory, and neither can his agents or managers — no business can be conducted at all (and even a vague general meeting is business). However, as soon as the strike’s over he can send it to whoever he likes. 

This, A screenwriter is at perfect liberty to work on his own screenplay as much as he wants...what he cannot do is try to sell it to a studio until the  strike is settled.

19 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

There's going to be such a gold rush as soon as the WGA strike ends lol

good luck to all writers

I don;t know how many full screenplays are going to be written during the stuike. SOP is to do a rought draft or even just a outline, take it to a studio and try to get a development deal where the studio pays you to finish your script.

Once again, people have no idea of how it works in the industry.

11 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

I was responding to Ruffalo’s comments. If he’s contemplating the concept of moving away from the major studios to make projects independently of them, it’s not much of a leap for the rest of us to as well.

Your issue seems to be with the concept of using YouTube… but in 2023, if someone wants to make a radical shift away from conventional distribution avenues, YouTube is the most obvious way to do that.

The problem I have with this is it practicality; where the hell will the money come from?

And you don't get paid for putting something on You Tube. What part of that don't you get.

Surpise" Most directors, actors and writers, like to get paid for their work.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Oh please.It like if you are interested in one sort of movie you can;t be interested in another.

Those who limit themselves to one type of movie are fools.

I meant these movies are targeting different audiences. Obviously there are people that want to see all 3. But the films all have VASTLY different vibes, and thus are targeting specific audiences. I really don't think that will hinder any of them.

5 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Insiders with direct knowledge of the talks say that The Walt Disney Co. and Netflix are the most resistant to sharing additional viewership data for their streaming content. They fear that performers will use that information to justify bigger checks and to get a bigger piece of the revenues.

it's strange because according to Nielsen Disney should just be paying to creators of Bluey & Mandalorian & Lin-Manuel Miranda & probably Seth MacFarlane. Everybody else will get 0.

PS. I always thought Disney's budgets were so big because they bought everything so not to pay afterwards but they still need to pay? Then their budgets are too big though they probably pay their creators good so there's that.

Edited by InVy