Eric Prime

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

Just now, GambitPool said:

I've felt the marketing should've been more clear this was the Guardians' final adventure. The trailers just seemed like another film in the franchise. I would've named this "Guardians of the Galaxy: Final Vol" to be on the safe side. 

Does being a "final adventure" really matter anymore? Like most "finale" movies don't really get any bump for being the last adventure. Which granted part of this is because most of those films are crap (Halloween Ends, Rise of Skywalker), but I feel like it's hard to get excited over a "final adventure" when, deep down, you know there will be a new movie eventually. Movie franchises are never allowed to end anymore, and I think most assume there will be another Guardians of the Galaxy at some point, or that Groot will be in another Avengers movie or whatever. And I'm sure within the next 10 years they will bring them back as a way to bring in nostalgia.

The next Fast and Furious movie (not the one in two weeks, the one after that) is for sure going to be billed as "The Last Fast" and get a bunch of "It All Ends Here" marketing, but like we all know Vin Diesel's gonna force it back 8-12 years later to get an easy paycheck. Finales just aren't special anymore.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

I mean even if Chadwick was still with us, Black Panther 2's box office would probably be the same? Like the first Black Panther had a major novelty factor and hype that you can't replicate in a sequel. It was always going to drop. Its drop was no different than a Chamber of Secrets or Lost World or whatever

Marvel successfully established T'Challa in the MCU through Civil War and then gave Wakanda War setting in Infinity War; this was the main reason why BP made huge numbers at the box office. If they had treated him like Ant-Man or like they treated Captain Marvel, people wouldn't have much cared about the character; BP wouldn't have grossed billion, and BP2 would have tanked at the box office. So box office depends upon how you treat the character, whether you treat the character as "just another character" or you treat the character as "a big character."

Edited by Willowra
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

A combination of various factors like the second film not aging well, it being 6 long years since said second film, Peter Quill's poor showing in Infinity War, and GotG3 being the first MCU film to follow Quantumania, so it has the thankless task of building back some lost goodwill.

Maybe it would have opened bigger with an RT score in the 90s

2nd film aged well

6 year gap doesn’t really matter

Quill in IW doesn’t matter

franchise goodwill was simply in the mud after 4punch of Eternals/DS2/L&T/QM (perhaps L&T in particular since it actually had guardians and QM being so recent)

93 or whatever maybe buys you another mil or few, wouldn’t change the big picture

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

2nd film aged well

6 year gap doesn’t really matter

Quill in IW doesn’t matter

franchise goodwill was simply in the mud after 4punch of Eternals/DS2/L&T/QM (perhaps L&T in particular since it actually had guardians and QM being so recent)

93 or whatever maybe buys you another mil or few, wouldn’t change the big picture

This is the right answer. The mcu is just lucky they put out so many crowd pleasers over the years where a movie like this can still open to 110-120m. Quality matters. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Marvel successfully established T'Challa in the MCU through Civil War and then gave Wakanda War setting in Infinity War; this was the main reason why BP made huge numbers at the box office. If they had treated him like Ant-Man or like they treated Captain Marvel, people wouldn't have much cared about the character; BP wouldn't have grossed billion, and BP2 would have tanked at the box office. So box office depends upon how you treat the character, whether you treat the character as "just another character" or you treat the character as "a big character."

Okay. Still think the sequel would have dropped like most sequels to breakout movies do.

• Like 3

WF was dropping no matter what, the first one had everything perfectly lined up. But maybe the drop would have been lower with a movie with Chadwick that wasn´t nearly as somber as this one became due to the real life circumstances.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

I've felt the marketing should've been more clear this was the Guardians' final adventure. The trailers just seemed like another film in the franchise. I would've named this "Guardians of the Galaxy: Final Vol" to be on the safe side. 

Isn't it the same for John Wick 4? But JW4 still did very well for a franchise standard.

11 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Knowing myself I’m sure I objected that postSun/Sun was a more meaningful ratio and did some calculation related to that, perhaps in relation to sun/sat or sun/TFri holds. If I can’t find it in the DS2 thread I’ll just run it wholesale tonight.

I’m sure it’s part coincidence given varying reception and competition, and all the multipliers are connected, but that the range was so small and consistent was notable 

7 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

Okay. Still think the sequel would have dropped like most sequels to breakout movies do.

Yeah. This is kind of why I’m feeling Joker 2, The Marvels and Spider-Man 4 will drop.

12 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

If Chadwick was alive, BP2 would have easily done billion at the box office. The assumption that T'Challa was going to be the face of the MCU moving forward would have worked in favour of BP2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Willowra said:

If Chadwick was alive, BP2 would have easily done billion at the box office. The assumption that T'Challa was going to be the face of the MCU moving forward would have worked in favour of BP2.

Okay.

• Haha 1

So after Mario, how long do you guys think we'll have to wait untill the third animated movie over $500M domestic? My bet is on Frozen 3 or Shrek 5 so between two and three years, maybe Toy Story 5 depending on if the story they sell on the trailers looks like another movie (still will make money) or there's an actual hook like what Dreamworks is doing with Kung Fu Panda. 

4 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

So after Mario, how long do you guys think we'll have to wait untill the third animated movie over $500M domestic? My bet is on Frozen 3 or Shrek 5 so between two and three years, maybe Toy Story 5 depending on if the story they sell on the trailers looks like another movie (still will make money) or there's an actual hook like what Dreamworks is doing with Kung Fu Panda. 

Joke Drums GIF by Bax Music

• Knock It Off 1

The more I think on this movie the more I love it. Its making me go re-watch Vol 1, Vol 2, the special, Infinity War and Endgame since they featured heavily in it. I really want one more. 

Will have to go see this again in cinema, havent doubled on a film for 4-5 years.

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I love it when the mods just reply “okay” to things they disagree with. They’re so cool.

its how zoomers communicate

In the office they just respond to long messages with ok then wonder why they get a poor performance review or get fired 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Sckathian said:

I think people are putting their own feelings onto kids. If BP was the new SW for a new generation it wouldn’t have dropped for BP2. I just wish the film that spoke so strongly to black Americans wasn’t a film whose underlying message seems to be “wow an Africa with skyscrapers!” as if there are not modern successful cities in Africa.

Only the nation which hid in a bubble is a successful African country with a modern society. 

Still enjoy the film but the message taken in America is fairly ignorant.

To be fair, Wakanda is the most advanced nation in the world by far. They have more than tall buildings, they have space ships and near alien medical and military technology.