Eric S'ennui

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

Sony are having a horrific year domestically outside of Missing. 

Two films opening back to back under $3m (despite 2700-3100 locations). And ERC pointed out that they have Knights of the Zodiac and The Machine opening in the next few weeks. Ouch. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, YM! said:

Pixar doesn’t really have one. Maybe a MI2/Nemo 3/Incredibles 3 are a better bet than a TS5 which honestly feels cash-graby moreso than Dory or MU. The late 2000s stuff is popular but I don’t think any sequel potential is there and with Asner dead a sequel feels all types of wrong. 2010s had few originals and I think IO2 at best maxes out at Dory numbers and I am not sure how you do a Coco sequels. 2020s is in the boat of the plus having an effect and I’m not sure a sequel to any makes sense like a lot of Pixar movies, who knows maybe a 2020 original later in the line does numbers to justify a franchise.

I think Inside Out 2 could make $500M domestic if they waited a few years more for the original to be as old as Finding Nemo or The Incredibles when their respective sequels came out, with 2022 ticket price is already over $440M adjusted. I think it'll be over $400M and probably only under Avatar as the biggest of 2024 (only domestic) though. My guess on why TS5 over Nemo 3 or The Incredibles 3 is that Toy Story is still selling more merchandising specially since TS4 did a better job by introducing new popular characters than the others. Kinda translate to the streaming too where Toy Story 4 has outperformed I2 and the original Toy Story is at the top of Pixar movies. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Two films opening back to back under $3m (despite 2700-3100 locations). And ERC pointed out that they have Knights of the Zodiac and The Machine opening in the next few weeks. Ouch. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Spider-Verse move up to May 31st at this point just so they can get to the goldmine faster. Not a fully guaranteed one because of the damage done to the Marvel brand as of late, but still.

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Most of what they've put out this year to date is schlock that would've fared poorly at any time. They have a big summer coming up full of movies that have different levels of actual potential (Spider-Man, No Hard Feelings, Insidious, Gran Turismo, Equalizer 3).

Edited by filmlover

55 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

I just like using "okay" because I think saying it is funny and/or I'm just not interested in continuing an argument or conversation. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't think saying "okay" is a bad thing or something a mod shouldn't do. It's just a word.

I mean... if you're REALLY not interested in continuing the argument or conversation then you just wouldn't respond lol

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Gen z Star Wars is Minecraft. going for just movies its either MCU, Avatar or Harry Potter. 

As someone who was born in 2000 I would probably say the MCU. 2014-2019 MCU was simply the most talked about pop culture event for us. GTA and Minecraft also have a serious argument

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Most of what they've put this year to date is schlock that would've fared poorly at any time. They have a big summer coming up full of movies that have different levels of actual potential (Spider-Man, No Hard Feelings, Insidious, Gran Turismo, Equalizer 3).

I'm surprised they haven't announced a new SPIDER-MAN film.

33 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Mario after his animated film outgrossing the later two Toy Story films in worldwide gross:
super-mario3d-all-stars-super-mario.gif

Woody and Buzz’s reactions after The Super Mario Bros Movie, outgrossing two of the later TS movies worldwide: toy-story-woody.gif

no-buzz-lightyear.gif

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

I never bought under 100M projections for GOTG 3 so 114M (likely going up with actuals) is in line with how movies drop from the previous one.

Good OS though it opened in all big markets so not surprising. I have to say that Luis guy is doing an unsolicited damage control badly. "exploded thanks to great WOM to...under first GOTG OW in China". Please. Just report the number. 

Edited by Valonqar