Eric is Quiet

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Definitely thought Rise of Gru was A LOT better than Super Mario. That said, I'd put it right alongside Sing 2. Who did Bad Guys? If that's them, then that's comfortably ahead of Super Mario too.

I haven't seen Sing 2, but I saw Rise of Gru earlier today and I thought it was utter dookie, lol. To each their own.

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

what are you talking about?

The Mario movie is head and shoulders better than I2

Oh absolutely not, but even then the first Incredibles is quite a bit better than both.

38 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Definitely thought Rise of Gru was A LOT better than Super Mario. That said, I'd put it right alongside Sing 2. Who did Bad Guys? If that's them, then that's comfortably ahead of Super Mario too.

If I’m having to name names in order:

Luca

del Toro’s Pinocchio

Turning Red

Soul

Puss 2

Encanto

The Bad Guys

Arlo

Mitchells vs Machines

Netflix Ninja Turtles

Onward

Vivo

Sing 2

Croods 2

Minions 2

That’s at least 15 kids movies better than Mario this decade, though the last four are more or less the same quality.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I gotta say. Forcing Captain Marvel to be the leader in Endgame would've been a huge mistake.

The fans were attached to RDJ because he carried the franchise since day one and has tons of charisma.

I wasn't against Brie having a bigger role but every major character needed some limelight. There wasn't alot of time to spare.

They don't have an RDJ figure, that's the problem. Not just Brie but absolutely no one has the combo of charisma, presence, charm, gravitas and interesting character to fit the bill. He was lightning in the bottle for the franchise. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John Marston said:

Superhero movies outside of Spider-Man/Batman might have to start slashing budgets by 50 million or more 

they should cause none of them shows all the money on the screen. In fact, most make one wonder where all that money went. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

They don't have an RDJ figure, that's the problem. Not just Brie but absolutely no one has the combo of charisma, presence, charm, gravitas and interesting character to fit the bill. He was lightning in the bottle for the franchise. 

Yeah. Then, again, I'd say not superhero movie currently going has an RDJ. He probably the most charismatic lead any of them this century. We're seeing even Batman and Spider-man were somewhat easily replaced. 

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I dunno if we will ever get an RDJ like lead again, but Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) is probably the closest to him that's left in the MCU imo.

Edited by Austin

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah. Then, again, I'd say not superhero movie currently going has an RDJ. He probably the most charismatic lead any of them this century. We're seeing even Batman and Spider-man were somewhat easily replaced. 

Very true. 

@Austin Cumberbatch's somewhat weird appearance and standoffish presence prevent him from having a mass appeal like RDJ, IMO. RDJ checked all the boxes required for X factor not to mention most perfect blend of actor and character. I can see other actors as Strange but I can't see other actors as Stark. RDJ didn't play Stark, he was Stark.

Edited by Valonqar

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Very true. 

@Austin Cumberbatch's somewhat weird appearance and standoffish presence prevent him from having a mass appeal like RDJ, IMO. RDJ checked all the boxes required for X factor not to mention most perfect blend of actor and character. I can see other actors as Strange but I can't see other actors as Stark. RDJ didn't play Stark, he was Stark.

Yeah that's fair, but I can't think of anyone left in the MCU who is closer to an RDJ appeal. Maybe Hemsworth as Thor or Holland as Spidey? But L&T kinda ruined most goodwill with the character even though I personally have him as my favorite Avenger, and Tom Holland was lowkey overshadowed by all the cameos in his own latest movie.

3 hours ago, The Panda said:

what are you talking about?

The Mario movie is head and shoulders better than I2

This… I actually agree with. I2 was honestly one of the lamest things I’ve ever seen for being a blatant inferior rehash of the first film that Bird teased us with for 15 years claiming “it will happen when I have the right idea for it” nonsense. Clearly what he meant was “when I finally breakdown to all the flashing $$$.” That movie never got anywhere near as dragged through the mud for its laziness as it deserves, and the critical reception is a total joke based purely on brand loyalty/nostalgia goggles.

Mario on the other hand is flimsy in its plot, but an absolute love letter to the games. You can tell the people who made it had immense passion for the IP they put into it. I can’t imagine any big Mario game fan not having a smile on their face for most of that movie. Far more than I can say about I2. And yeah, if you don’t like Mario games all that much, the movie really isn’t for you. It’s that simple. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 4
  • Heart 2
  • Disbelief 1

39 minutes ago, Austin said:

Yeah that's fair, but I can't think of anyone left in the MCU who is closer to an RDJ appeal. Maybe Hemsworth as Thor or Holland as Spidey? But L&T kinda ruined most goodwill with the character even though I personally have him as my favorite Avenger, and Tom Holland was lowkey overshadowed by all the cameos in his own latest movie.

More than lowkey. T&A were legit draws and the reason for almost 2B global boxoffice. 

I like Hemsworth too but Marvel has never been interested in Thor so the character remains all over the place changing personality from movie to movie. I'd say Infinity War handled him the best but that lasted for only that 1 movie. Tony Stark and Cap, two staples of MCU phase 1-3 were consistent. 

Edited by Valonqar

As for beating I2, that Friday # is trash but i refuse to believe a movie that has had this kind of legs so far will suddenly just fall off a cliff given one competitor (that’s not even breaking out huge or anything either). Either Sat jump will be insane or the holds these next few subsequent weekends will compensate and be even better. Definitely not throwing in the towel. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Austin said:

I guess it's not part of the MCU yet, but soon will be, Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool is pretty irreplaceable and loved by the GP (and I say this as someone who actively dislikes the Deadpool movies). 

Edited by Fanboy

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Lol

you think I’m joking but I think the Mario movie is an unabashedly great piece of pop art. If I were a film scholar I’d write a paper about it.

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

you think I’m joking but I think the Mario movie is an unabashedly great piece of pop art. If I were a film scholar I’d write a paper about it.

I get how you can think of it is as a great piece of pop, but a great piece of art? Outside of the animation itself I'm not sure where the art comes in. 

Guardians 3 pretty easily the best Marvel movie since Black Panther and one of their best ever. Three of the top four MCU movies are Guardians movies. Someone should hand over the keys to their entire superhero universe over to this James Gunn guy.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1