Eric Prime

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

So this is problematic to say, but my general sense of Little Mermaid compared to the other Disney remakes has always been that it is much more "girlie" a property. Not to make myself look bad, but I wasn't going to see this movie with the adult male friends I saw Aladdin and Lion King with. It just doesn't have the action-adventure elements the other Disney remakes had, and obviously the demographic data reflects that it crossed over way less. I think the casting of Halle actually probably saved Little Mermaid from doing something more like 75m by making it a movie for little girls of all races, not just little white girls. Not to say the toxic racism didn't have an impact, of course.

I think it's more that Little Mermaid never had that defining animated show to help keep carrying it. BATB didn't either but that was mounted on a grand scale and came out very early in this IP exploitation time. And speaking just personally, there was no TLM songs which were popular outside the Disney and theater crowd. Even BATB had Be Our Guest which we have heard used elsewhere, I genuinely didn't know any TLM songs till the promos for this movie.

The same people who would have skipped TLM in America for having a black lead are already convinced that Disney is a cabal of pedophiles putting sexual messages in their movies to turn kids transgender, so I just don't really see the impact here. The Disney brand has definitely been mega-hurt by toxic racists over the last two years, but at this point it's a larger Disney issue not a TLM issue.

Now, internationally, different story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

So this is problematic to say, but my general sense of Little Mermaid compared to the other Disney remakes has always been that it is much more "girlie" a property. Not to make myself look bad, but I wasn't going to see this movie with the adult male friends I saw Aladdin and Lion King with. It just doesn't have the action-adventure elements the other Disney remakes had, and obviously the demographic data reflects that it crossed over way less. I think the casting of Halle actually probably saved Little Mermaid from doing something more like 75m by making it a movie for little girls of all races, not just little white girls. Not to say the toxic racism didn't have an impact, of course.

I don't think The Little Mermaid movie is more "girlie" than Beauty and the Beast.

It wouldn't be a movie for little girls of all races, but for little black girls (nothing wrong with that). It's really impossible to appeal all races at the same level.

Honestly, I think the racism has likely affected this movie, since white people are likely a minor percent than usual.

I'm wondering about the Snow White movie starring Zegler and Gadot. Zegler hasn't exactly been in any movie which has set the box office on fire so far and Gadot is not a draw. I don't think there's any iconic songs in there either.

And obviously there's going to be a lot of online discourse about an Hispanic actress being Snow White. I wonder if we will be able to comp it to Mirror, Mirror.

As we have seen in almost every genre of movies, it's the late-to-the-party movies which suffer the most.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I'm wondering about the Snow White movie starring Zegler and Gadot. Zegler hasn't exactly been in any movie which has set the box office on fire so far and Gadot is not a draw. I don't think there's any iconic songs in there either.

And obviously there's going to be a lot of online discourse about an Hispanic actress being Snow White. I wonder if we will be able to comp it to Mirror, Mirror.

As we have seen in almost every genre of movies, it's the late-to-the-party movies which suffer the most.

Are they even having dwarves in it? And I think I read that there's no prince in it. If true, it's gonna be ugly!!!

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We’ve also a couple of live action Snow White adaptations 

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

I don't think The Little Mermaid movie is more "girlie" than Beauty and the Beast.

It wouldn't be a movie for little girls of all races, but for little black girls (nothing wrong with that). It's really impossible to appeal all races at the same level.

Honestly, I think the racism has likely affected this movie, since white people are likely a minor percent than usual.

I actually think Mermaid is more girlie b/c it is so singular character focused for conflicts and arcs...

There's more to the other characters in Beauty and the Beast than Mermaid.  The Beast's mystery and arc is huge and predates Belle...heck, even the dishes arc is huge - you have buy in to other characters that matter.  

Love it or hate it, Mermaid is a solo woman show.  You have her and everything revolves around her - dad, the animals, the prince, and Ursula.

In B&tB, the castle revolves more around Beast...

• Like 4

I think the domestic start for The Little Mermaid is good. It’s more than Aladdin, so that’s all they really needed in the headlines. 

Can’t imagine Snow White opening at these levels. That seems more like a $30-40m opener. But we haven’t seen anything from it. 

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The same people who would have skipped TLM in America for having a black lead are already convinced that Disney is a cabal of pedophiles putting sexual messages in their movies to turn kids transgender, so I just don't really see the impact here. The Disney brand has definitely been mega-hurt by toxic racists over the last two years, but at this point it's a larger Disney issue not a TLM issue.

Now, internationally, different story.

Huh?  What the fuck did I just read . 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

Cameron is a genius. Humans are not blue but everyone can identify with the blue people. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I should vacation for a week more often b/c my thoughts didn't get affected by the last week presales...this actually was exactly what I always thought domestic (makes up for getting Guardian's legging out wrong:), but I am kinda surprised about the WW figures (which are bad...no way around it), b/c you'd expect closer to 50-50 on this, at least OW...

Edited by TwoMisfits