kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

An Uncharted sequel would totally bomb. The movie got away with NWH hype carrying its OW and literally no competition carrying its legs. You are not gonna get that ever again.

The 1st has a budget of $120M and made over $400M theatrical WW.  If studios saw that as failing, we'd never get sequels again.

Sequels will probably wait on the leads wanting to do it, vs the studio wanting to do it...and the leads wanting to do it for what the studio can pay, b/c I'd assume they'd want to keep the budget roughly in the same ballpark, guaranteeing a profit even if it dips in BO...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

some young cruise roles i could imagine Holland doing like Color of Money or Rain Man something like that. it's a little unfair to compare him to roles Cruise was doing in his 40s lol.

risky business legacy sequel where cruise schools holland to say "fuck it". Bring Joey Pants back too

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

That whole performance feels right in-line with guys like Tate, the movie's aged so well. is it a little film-school-y with the Altman-like structure? maybe, but compared to the film-school ass shit Aster just did, it's subtle lol

Don't know if this is a hot take or not, but I will always say Magnolia is PTA's best movie. It's both tight and loose and messy and deliberate all at once and it's easily the most fascinating world he has ever concieved. It's a rare case where the film school nature of it gives it a ton of charm.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

An Uncharted sequel would totally bomb. The movie got away with NWH hype carrying its OW and literally no competition carrying its legs. You are not gonna get that ever again.

But audiences largely liked it though. And Sony can schedule it to release after the next Spidey movie (or Avengers movie). If they can keep the budget low they can easily make a tidy but small profit

• Like 2

I’m sure an Uncharted sequel will happen but one thing keeping it from appearing soon is probably a lack of motivation. The film was a hit but no one was really blown away by it, no one involved seem to really be invested in it, and I’m sure the priority for Sony and Holland is more Spider-Man before an Uncharted sequel. I think it’s telling that it’s been over a year since the film came out and we’ve had no confirmation or news of a sequel.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

The 1st has a budget of $120M and made over $400M theatrical WW.  If studios saw that as failing, we'd never get sequels again.

Sequels will probably wait on the leads wanting to do it, vs the studios wanting to do it...and the leads wanting to do it for what the studio can pay, b/c I'd assume they'd want to keep the budget roughly in the same ballpark, guaranteeing a profit even if it dips in BO...

The problem isn't that the first Uncharted bombed. The problem is that the first Uncharted was terrible. It would be like if they made a sequel to Last Airbender. Just because people saw the first movie doesn't mean they would see another one. And Sony knows that.

Just now, Eric 2099 said:

Don't know if this is a hot take or not, but I will always say Magnolia is PTA's best movie. It's both tight and loose and messy and deliberate all at once and it's easily the most fascinating world he has ever concieved. It's a rare case where the film school nature of it gives it a ton of charm.

I think it's up there, but Boogie Nights' amazing pacing & structure put it over it and I still think TWBB is his masterwork. I'd put it at #3 for now. I haven't seen Phantom Thread since I was 17, so I was probably too young to fully get it, but maybe a rewatch would move it up in my estimation too.

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

some young cruise roles i could imagine Holland doing like Color of Money or Rain Man something like that. it's a little unfair to compare him to roles Cruise was doing in his 40s lol.

I genuinely feel it's the perfect time for a Color of Money legacy sequel. Cruise mentoring a younger actor just like the basic plots for the first 2 movies. Maybe even move it out of dive bars to like Vegas on a bigger stage.

The problem isn't that the first Uncharted bombed. The problem is that the first Uncharted was terrible. It would be like if they made a sequel to Last Airbender. Just because people saw the first movie doesn't mean they would see another one. And Sony knows that.

to be fair, Uncharted had a 3 multiplier and seems to have done well on Netflix. Maybe they are just waiting for Holland to be available

• Like 1

I could see Tom Holland playing an annoying insecure rich guy like a Roman Roy type, unfortunately all MCU actors are required to lose their taste for at least several years after the height of the role (except Mark Ruffalo) so it's gonna be all Uncharteds from here on out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

They are getting some some underpaid intern updating it. Sadly BOM is a shadow of what it was. Back in nougties with Brandon and others was something special. I dont think we will ever recreate something like that. These days most updates happen through a tweet 🙂

Yeah it has gone severely down hill since theaters were shutdown in 2020 and was probably on the decline a couple years before that. It used to be one of my favorite websites of all time, and now they have glitches and mistakes all the time, and no weekend rundown article. it's sad. 

4 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

Nobody loved the 1st Puss in Boots either...so a sequel waited til they had a killer story...and that worked well...

Sony has Holland in Spidey, so since Holland is young for the Drake role anyway, they can make an Uncharted sequel when they have the right story and budget and when video game movies get hotter and hotter...

Waiting isn't a big loss, especially when Tom might be done playing Spidey sooner than Nathan Drake (no one is gonna want a 40 year old leading a Spidey movie)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I genuinely feel it's the perfect time for a Color of Money legacy sequel. Cruise mentoring a younger actor just like the basic plots for the first 2 movies. Maybe even move it out of dive bars to like Vegas on a bigger stage.

Special guest appearance by CGI Paul Newman.

• Astonished 1

Speaking of Sony sequels, I was going to bring this up earlier when the movies were mentioned, I've thought recently about how COVID really killed all the momentum and development time for Jumanji 3. Because if we didn't have COVID, we would have gotten that as Sony's 2021 or 2022 holiday season release. But because COVID caused a huge logjam for Dwayne and his 43 million productions in development, they kept getting pushed back because he had to film Red Notice, and Black Adam, and that Amazon Christmas movie first. And now that he's getting his Fast and Furious spin-off and Moana remake fast-tracked, we're probably not getting another Jumanji movie until like 3 or 4 years from now. And by that point, it will be like Night at the Museum 3 where nobody will care anymore.

I dunno. Just find that kind of stuff interesting to think about.

1 minute ago, Kalo said:

Yeah it has gone severely down hill since theaters were shutdown in 2020 and was probably on the decline a couple years before that. It used to be one of my favorite websites of all time, and now they have glitches and mistakes all the time, and no weekend rundown article. it's sad. 

It happened prior to that with the great paywalling. Everything moved to IMDb pro and they just stopped caring.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I could see Tom Holland playing an annoying insecure rich guy like a Roman Roy type, unfortunately all MCU actors are required to lose their taste for at least several years after the height of the role (except Mark Ruffalo) so it's gonna be all Uncharteds from here on out.

I too wanna see Tom Holland jack off onto a window... 

I feel like an Uncharted sequel would be a mistake. Uncharted's success absolutely feels like a right movie at the right time situation between coming two months after No Way Home and opening in a marketplace that had been light on broadly-appealing action movies since, well, No Way Home. The fact that it did well on Netflix also reinforces my thinking that it felt like a Netflix movie that somehow got lucky and slipped through the cracks into the studio system. A drop for a hypothetical sequel seems like it would be inevitable.

Edited by Webslinger

Speaking of Sony sequels, I was going to bring this up earlier when the movies were mentioned, I've thought recently about how COVID really killed all the momentum and development time for Jumanji 3. Because if we didn't have COVID, we would have gotten that as Sony's 2021 or 2022 holiday season release. But because COVID caused a huge logjam for Dwayne and his 43 million productions in development, they kept getting pushed back because he had to film Red Notice, and Black Adam, and that Amazon Christmas movie first. And now that he's getting his Fast and Furious spin-off and Moana remake fast-tracked, we're probably not getting another Jumanji movie until like 3 or 4 years from now. And by that point, it will be like Night at the Museum 3 where nobody will care anymore.

I dunno. Just find that kind of stuff interesting to think about.

Personally, I think there's no new Jumanji announcement because there's no new Star Wars announcement. Dwayne gets confused if you tell him that they need to make a Jumanji but no Star Wars is present as competition.

• Like 3

If all of The Rock's recent decisions are just Black Adam damage control I am shocked he didn't immediately kick down Sony's door and demand to start work on another Jumanji instantly. Those are his biggest movies! The grosses would go down again but another one would surely make more than a.... Hobbs movie.

• Like 3