Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Transformers $25.6M FRI

Just now, Eric Prime said:

Just because toys aren't as popular as they used to doesn't mean they still aren't an important part of a film's success and reason for existing. And even Terminator, despite being R, is still designed to sell Funko Pops and collectible figurines aimed towards adults and Halloween costumes. So like...it's still a toy commercial aimed at a nostalgic audience who remember seeing it when they were younger. Fits the bill.

I can assure you as someone who follows Hasbro and has been seeing their like....10 year long struggle now? That every toy company is trying to get out of the toy business. Video games and the internet have killed the market. I get what you're saying that there is the adult industry which is sizable, but it is not what's being looked at when these things are made. It's tickets and streaming which are the big deciding factors here. I agree with you that trying to cash in on nostalgia is part of it, but it's more that not really...toys honestly. And again like I said, I just don't get the point in applying that to every single big budget film. Like you said it about Top Gun: Maverick too and...come on lol. Not to get into a protracted debate with you, me and you tend to agree more than we disagree and I value your input but this is just one point where we don't see eye to eye.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Has there ever been a semi long running series that has opened to massive numbers in its hey dey, then the latest one opens to a terrible 30mil, or equivelant?.

dark phoenix.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

dark phoenix.

Thats a fair shout, although i still think them dropping the 'X-Men' tag hurt that films box office.

I know people that even NOW didnt realize thats a X-Men film (casual fans obviously).

EDIT. Also i'd say the X-Men films over all werent quite as big openers as the Transformers films in their hey dey, quite a bit off for most of them actually.

Edited by stuart360
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

EDIT. Also i'd say the X-Men films over all werent quite as big openers as the Transformers films in their hey dey, quite a bit off for most of them actually.

IDK about that. X2 and X3 were both the 4th highest opening weekend of all time in their day.

• Like 3

Watching Fast X on VOD. To echo literally every single review, the movie is one Momoa performance away from being the worst in the series. I have zero idea why Brie Larson even signed up for this movie, she doesn't even get a cool action set piece. Ludacris, Tyrese and Nathalie Emmanuel with their comedy sidekick schtick got old 2 movies ago. Vin Diesel still thinks he's making high art, he really needs to get on the same wavelength that it's schlocky fun people want.

1 hour ago, Eric Prime said:

I know that it's not much in the grand scheme of things, but Transformers set to, at worst, nearly miss 60M+ is probably the craziest story of the summer so far. Every other movie's opening weekend makes sense when you hear it, even Guardians 3's total sounds legit enough. And judging by the poor RT Aud. score, it's probably not gonna go all that far. But Transformers was a property that had been on the decline for years, had no real big hook in the marketing, has mediocre reviews, no big stars. There was zero reason for this not to open to 30M and continue the diminishing returns. Now it's gonna double that? I guess 2000s nostalgia really did save the day here. Only explanation I can think of if I'm being honest.

I big segment of TF fans both casual and fanboys have been waiting patiently for Bay to leave.

Then you have goodwill from Bumblebee which some consider a step in the right direction.

Also I'd be interested in the demographic breakdown. I'm wondering if some saw this as the first anti-woke summer movie they were free to support.

• Disbelief 3

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Also I'd be interested in the demographic breakdown. I'm wondering if some saw this as the first anti-woke summer movie they were free to support.

...what?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13
  • ...wtf 1

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Watching Fast X on VOD. To echo literally every single review, the movie is one Momoa performance away from being the worst in the series. I have zero idea why Brie Larson even signed up for this movie, she doesn't even get a cool action set piece. Ludacris, Tyrese and Nathalie Emmanuel with their comedy sidekick schtick got old 2 movies ago. Vin Diesel still thinks he's making high art, he really needs to get on the same wavelength that it's schlocky fun people want.

You think this movie is worse than F8 of The Furious, and F9: The Fast Saga?

Family member told me TF is the first movie in a theater since Covid... and it wasn't tied to anything else or a remake.... so there is a personal anecdote that echos discussion around here. 

*and no, politics and woke have nothing to do with this person lol. 

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

It's close, really close. If not for Momoa having the time of his life on screen, it would have been worse. It's the most confused Fast movie by far and doesn't even end while leaving like 3 different cliffhangers. 

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Well I think people possibly avoided Disney movies and Spider-verse because of politics.

What's confusing about that?

Only terminally online neo-Nazis care about "wokeness". Plus movie audiences today skew younger and more progressive, so this shit don't matter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

27 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Well I think people possibly avoided Disney movies and Spider-verse because of politics.

What's confusing about that?

You do realize the leads of this movie aren't white either, right?

• Like 10

Thisi s my opinion only but seeming to celebrate a 60 million OW for a 200 million dollar budget movie is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

When I was ecstatic with scream 6 44.45 OW off a 32 million budget  igot a ton of 'what's the big deal? It shoild have done more?' Comments lulz

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

Only terminally online neo-Nazis care about "wokeness". Plus movie audiences today skew younger and more progressive, so this shit don't matter.

I don't think only online neo-Nazis care about "wokeness". I've seen some apparently regular people who have complained about "wokeness" too.

I'm not totally sure younger people are really more progressive, but I hope you're right.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

56 minutes ago, AJG said:

Without Momoa, it'd be worse than F8 (which was still fun), but as it stands I'd say they're pretty close with the edge going to X. Miles better than F9 for sure.