Eric S'ennui

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

1 minute ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Also...Tom Cruise didn't fall off of a cliff but he's also never really reached his pre-~2005 heights and anecdotally I think scientology stuff clearly hurt him even if it didn't rise to level of "Tom Cruise should go to jail" style reactions. 

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/2005-at-the-box-office.187837/page-37

seems like there was real contemporary debate about just how good WotW's run was relative to correct baseline (even if studio spun it as a 100% success, you see digs at its failure to break records in e.g. the Guardians' writeup). There are more positive reads of war of the worlds box office but I really do think Cruise's brand was dinged, it just started from massive heights and at the end of the day he's personally not really been accused of anything other than acting weird

The last Tom Cruise film I saw at a movie theater was War of the Worlds. The last Tom Cruise I’ve watched at all was Live Die Repeat. Yeah I have no interest giving Cruise any money whatsoever. And I think a lot of people feel like that too, regardless of TGM.

• Like 1

Aquaman 2 is going to be the outlier in this year of DC underperformers and flops even if it doesn't make as much as the first IMO. It's going to be the de facto 4 quad event film for Christmas this year with a floor that's likely higher than its competition's ceiling (same with The Marvels around Thanksgiving, which also makes me baffled by the doom and gloom surrounding that movie, but that's another story), James Wan will likely deliver a bunch of cool "money shots" for the marketing, and unlike The Flash, its star is sure to be everywhere promoting it. It should make solid coin overseas too given how big the first was.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Aquaman 2 is going to be the outlier in this year of DC underperformers and flops even if it doesn't make as much as the first IMO. It's going to be the de facto 4 quad event film for Christmas this year with a floor that's likely higher than its competition's ceiling (same with The Marvels around Thanksgiving, which also makes me baffled by the doom and gloom surrounding that movie, but that's another story), James Wan will likely deliver a bunch of cool "money shots" for the marketing, and unlike The Flash, its star is sure to be everywhere promoting it. It should make solid coin overseas too given how big the first was.

There are no more "de facto" moneymakers anymore.

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

The last Tom Cruise film I saw at a movie theater was War of the Worlds. The last Tom Cruise I’ve watched at all was Live Die Repeat. Yeah I have no interest giving Cruise any money whatsoever. And I think a lot of people feel like that too, regardless of TGM.

That's an immensely small group of people though, considering TGM made $1.5 billion lol

• Like 6

I also kinda think because The Flash isn’t exactly fresh. The TV show had him teaming up multiple heroes, he constantly goes back n forth to multiple earths, he’s teamed up with Supergirl you can pretty much say he teamed up with Batman as well cuz Green Arrow on tv was pretty much sears version of The Dark Knight.

Just now, TMP said:

That's an immensely small group of people though, considering TGM made $1.5 billion lol

I never saw Avatar 2 either, but not because I dislike Cameron or anyone working on that film. And yeah no, I don’t think you can assume that because of TGM’s box office gross. 

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

It'll be kinda funny if Dial of Destiny tanks immediately after this.

It would be funnier if Dial of Destiny blows up, because clearly a lot of BOT thinks it’s impossible. There is still 13 days to go, and I think people are once again underplaying nostalgia.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Since the pandemic started only 5 movies have grossed over $1B WW in 3 1/2 years

SM:NWH

TG:M

SMB

JWD

Avatar was the only one to cross $2B and JWD just scraped over $1B by less than $2M (with the lowest total of the 52 movies that have made over a billion). I think this is the new normal. Probably one to two billion dollar grossers a year on average. Compare that to 40 the crossed $1B from 2009-2019. 

If you start the clock at NWH there's been five $1b films in 1 1/2 years. 2022 has three billion-grossers and would've had 4 if Doctor Strange 2 got a China release. Same timespan between July 2018 and December 2019 produced 10 $1b films. Obviously nowhere near it still, but going the full 3 1/2 year timespan is going to be misleading since nothing was making $1b when large parts of the world were under lockdown.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, AJG said:

Nobody knows who Ezra Miller is. The problem was that he wasn't able to promote the movie at all.

No little fun YouTube skits. No car tie-in ads, no phone tie-ins ads. No images of him on a pack of frozen vegetables. No interviews. No photoshoots. No presence. 

Do not undersell how widespread the coverage of their crimes was. Local news even covered it across the country.

Plus, it became a meme across Twitter and TikTok.

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It would be funnier if Dial of Destiny blows up, because clearly a lot of BOT thinks it’s impossible. There is still 13 days to go, and I think people are once again underplaying nostalgia.

Because nostalgia clearly worked so well for Transformers and Flash before it?

• Like 1

Ezra Miller was a liability from almost every conceivable angle:

Their legal issues and controversies made them completely toxic from a PR standpoint. They couldn't do interviews, advertisements, or any kind of promotional materials.

Even going with the "general public doesn't know about Miller or their scandals" argument, that's still not helpful because Miller is not a well known presence and lacks the star power to draw people in.

The last time we saw Flash in the movies was the much maligned Justice League where he was a secondary character. Not exactly a major selling point. 

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

Asteroid City Friday: $350K (6 locs)

Phenomenal start, should be at least $120K PTA for the weekend (and the biggest average since pre-COVID, I think). Even with reviews being only decent, this should end up one of the bright spots among non-tentpoles this summer.

• Like 2

Just now, Starphanluke said:

Do not undersell how widespread the coverage of their crimes was. Local news even covered it across the country.

Plus, it became a meme across Twitter and TikTok.

Seriously, social media existed back in 2012 when people used to claim that a lot of the GA didn’t follow. We are in 2023. Of course that the majority of the target audience uses social media. You would have to be on a comma last year to not know. Maybe people should just stop downplaying how informed the GA is? Especially when the news for this was everywhere, worldwide, and yeah became a meme, and a very negative one. 

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Because nostalgia clearly worked so well for Transformers and Flash before it?

Are you really trying to compare Transformers and let alone Flash with Indiana fucking Jones? Yeah I’m stanning Indy. And I sincerely hope the GA will be too, soon enough. There is still time to catch on.