Eric Lasagna

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I remember that open letter to Fox in the leadup to X-Men 3 where Tom Rothman was compared to, wait for it, Joseph Goebbels. Granted, that wasn't Knowles but rather former scooperbro Drew McWeeny, but still, that says something about the kind of people Knowles engages with.

Ain’t It Cool News really was the genesis for modern nerd culture bs.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Elemental's numbers are worse than The Flash.  Wasn't that a $200M picture as well?   jesus 

Yes, it has about the same budget - Total DOM for both may go down to the wire...although I think I expect Elemental to eke it out, but who knows at this point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This post is going to slow down the thread. Many reading to this point still processing what was written here. :insane:

Just in case you don’t know about Harry Knowles and aintitcool

The Blade II review makes for a shocking read today, not merely for the lewdness of the prose, but the fact that the barely literate doofus horndog who wrote it was once a formidable presence in the world of online journalism. This was a man feared by studios, courted by such marquee filmmakers as del Toro, Quentin Tarantino, and Peter Jackson, and championed by respected legacy film critics like Roger Ebert and Leonard Maltin. The Times of London called him “the most powerful independent voice in movie criticism since Pauline Kael.” He was given book deals, television gigs, and unlimited access to films in progress. This guy had power.

Such leverage wouldn’t have been possible without the free hand Knowles and his ilk were given by studios and publicists, terrified that without a thumbs-up from the “head” of the geeks they were so vigorously pursuing, their films might become the next Batman & Robin—whose notorious razzing by AICN staff was blamed by its distributor, Warner Bros., for its commercial failure (a proclamation that landed Knowles on Entertainment Weekly’s list of the most powerful people of 1997).

• Astonished 1

2 hours ago, AJG said:

There's also a massive problem with the movie itself which is causing lower than usual grades with younger audiences that did show up. (Mods don't kill me. I think this stuff relates to the BO here).

Reveal hidden contents

The character that appears to be the primary antagonist violently kills a bunch of superheroes and the movie resolves with those characters still dead. No hope of resurrections. They are DOA. The villain wins and the movie wraps up damn near definitivley. That's some scary shit.

Fully agree with this. The ending is way more dark than it needs to be and I know I, personally, felt absolutely cheated when it came to the character who sold me a ticket.

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Excuse me what in the absolute hell fuck is this?

CBMs and nerds are a MISTAKE 

I remember an AICN article about Attack of the Clones from back in the day talking about Natalie Portman and how she had a "cute little turd cutter". That's the most disgusting way of saying you like someone's butt I've ever heard. those nerds were not normal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

I love how The Flash received a B Cinemascore and some people are still refusing to accept that audiences didn't think the movie was good and instead blaming other external factors (which would have an impact on things like previews... not the goddamn Cinemascore)

It's next level copium.

But there’s something else going on here with The Flash, billed by co-DC Boss James Gunn back in January as “probably one of the greatest superhero movies ever made,” and that’s that moviegoers disagree, giving it a B CinemaScore and 77% on Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits with a 59% recommend. That buzz, coupled with the fact that The Flash is very male-heavy, and not pulling in as many women as Aquaman and Wonder Woman is slowing it down.

here are my attempt at posttrak comps (x/5 stars, % positive, % recommend). While not mentioned, Flash is clearly at 3.5 stars or lower otherwise it would be cited. 

Let's pull comps:

• Eternals - 3.5/79/60
  • WW1984 - 78/67
  • Love and Thunder - 3.5/77
  • Alita: Battle Angel - 77/59
  • Terminator: Dark Fate - 3.5/78/51
  • F9 - 80%/62%
  • Kong Skull island - 78/60
  • Kings Man - 77/60
  • Venom 2 - 4/76/65
  • Baywatch & Legend of Tarzan - 76% positive
  • King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - 78% positive

• Venom - 80% ? recommend

• Hitman's Bodyguard - 4/80/57

• Uncharted 79/61

• Birds of Prey - ? positive/62% recommend

• Call of the Wild - 4 stars/?/59

• Jumanji: Next LEvel - 4 stars/?/62

• Rambo Last Blood - 3.5 stars/56% recommend

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

4 minutes ago, 21C said:

I love how The Flash received a B Cinemascore and some people are still refusing to accept that audiences didn't think the movie was good and instead blaming other external factors (which would have an impact on things like previews... not the goddamn Cinemascore)

It's next level copium.

I think there’s a bit of emperors new clothes going on, to be honest. A lot of folks believed the PR waffle, tied their colours to the mast, and have now had real trouble accepting the truth.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

Yes. Just hover over a user, click "Ignore", and you're good to go.

Thanks, I was getting really irritated lol

Edited by Austin