Eric Lasagna

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

59 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

Checked my Cinemark app just for fun. Flash has six shows left tonight at my theater, 35 tix sold so fear. Their one premium screen (a 3D) is showing Elemental at 9:20, zero seats sold so far. Nine tix sold to two regular Elemental screenings.

Meanwhile, Spiderverse has been moved to the smallest theater. Two shows left, 52 tix sold.

What a fiasco.

There's a really good argument that Spiderverse should take back the PLFs next weekend...

• Like 3

The touchdown dances after Rise of the Beasts 1st weekend are actually more embarassing than what most posters did prior to Flash. There was much more "TRANSFORMERS IS BACK" than there ever was people saying Flash would do 80 mil OW.

Transformers had a halfway decent but unspectacular opening that outperformed the worst case "30 mil opening" predictions and created the ILLUSION of going well. It completely crashed this week and made it clear the negative predictions were just delayed. 

In contrast most people on here kind of expected a soft Flash launch and weren't that shocked about this result.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

I was really down on Oppenheimer from the start but heck people  thru a fit when they thoight it was being delayed so I'm guessing it will be bigger then anything since spideyverse came out 

I read TLM will take at least 560 million to break even and that's not happening.

Edited by screambaby

9 minutes ago, screambaby said:

I was really down on Oppenheimer from the start but heck people  thru a fit when they thoight it was being delayed so I'm guessing it will be bigger then anything since spideyverse came out 

I read TLM will take at least 560 million to break even and that's not happening.

TLM will make money , it will just need more than theatrical

9 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

So Flash is definitely topping Deadline's bomb list right?

Possibly Shazam. Flash costs more and marketing will be higher, but it'll still make about 150-175M more than Shazam.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Jurassic World - 440 pages

Avengers Endgame - 397 pages (has the most views though)

The Dark Knight Rises - 386 pages

Han Solo - 375 pages

Transformers 4 - 374 pages

Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 370 pages

Infinity War - 369 pages

BvS - 373 pages

Jurassic World has the longest 2nd and 3rd weekend threads at 311 and 167 pages respectively. Although JW had the assist of Inside Out in its 2nd weekend. 

Rogue One Christmas weekdays thread is the longest weekdays thread with 161 pages. 

PS: page numbers may be lower for users as they cannot see hidden posts. 

You can check the threads here at - https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/forum/76-numbers-and-data/?sortby=posts&sortdirection=desc

Another Jurassic W

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

I think we can all agree that Jurassic World had the best weekend thread of all time. Those numbers going up and up and up throughout the day/evening Friday was legendary. 

June 12, 2015. No day on BOT has topped it since. 

Went through some of it, 65-67 to 67-71 to 71-75 to 77-80 to 80-83 

Also the fact that people were still thinking that it won't do more than 170 after the 75 friday then eventually Friday came 82 million and all bets were off.

Only minus thing of that weekend is that it could've done 210-212, but could manage only 209.

But rest of it was fire.

• Like 1

Different tiers. SHAZAM was a sequel to a film that we so the ceiling was really low. Nobody expected big numbers. FLASH was DC's hope to put out a summer crowdpleaser and put up at least respectable numbers. The bigger problem is that it's actually a much better film than the recent garbage they released. Still no decent box office return.

A few thoughts after finally seeing this movie in a PACKED Massachusetts theater. Premium theater which giant seats so it doesn't hold 400 people many more, maybe not even 200, but it was pretty much full, just about entire front section was full.

• Honestly - how many people here saying it will drop like a rock have actually seen the film? My crowd ate it up entirely, this was a classic Marvel type reaction. Tons of laughing throughout (ESPECIALLY the final 40 seconds of the film LOL at that entire sequence), clapping at end. There are a handful "fan service" moments and that's it. I will believe legs are a disaster when it actually happens. This is a very solid superhero film that the casual moviegoer will no doubt enjoy and I expect legs to reflect such. Twitter is not the real world. It is not "one of the best superhero movies ever" but I can see why some people are so high on it. The fundamentals of the story are very strong, the cast delivers in spade - Miller is excellent, as are the 2 parents in very limited roles. The 2 friends that I met up with two watch film were in full agreement that this is their favorite superhero film a while (though neither have seen Spiderverse or NWH randomly). This is the type of film that WB needed to be making and releasing circa 2015-2016.
  • WTF are people talking about with special effects? Again Twitter isn't real life. Nobody in the theater is rewatching set clips in slow motion. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary at all. The multiverse crap is clearly supposed to look the way that it does. 
  • It is, however, 'modern DC' film. The concept is excellent, the execution is actually very good here, but the script could be a bit tighter. Can't help but think that, like The Batman before it, the story here is so large that it could almost separate into 2 separate films. The Zod invasion works fine but can't help thinking there could have been more here to make it more powerful. 

A- and fully expecting solid holds from here on out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

A few thoughts after finally seeing this movie in a PACKED Massachusetts theater. Premium theater which giant seats so it doesn't hold 400 people many more, maybe not even 200, but it was pretty much full, just about entire front section was full.

• Honestly - how many people here saying it will drop like a rock have actually seen the film? My crowd ate it up entirely, this was a classic Marvel type reaction. Tons of laughing throughout (ESPECIALLY the final 40 seconds of the film LOL at that entire sequence), clapping at end. There are a handful "fan service" moments and that's it. I will believe legs are a disaster when it actually happens. This is a very solid superhero film that the casual moviegoer will no doubt enjoy and I expect legs to reflect such. Twitter is not the real world. It is not "one of the best superhero movies ever" but I can see why some people are so high on it. The fundamentals of the story are very strong, the cast delivers in spade - Miller is excellent, as are the 2 parents in very limited roles. The 2 friends that I met up with two watch film were in full agreement that this is their favorite superhero film a while (though neither have seen Spiderverse or NWH randomly). This is the type of film that WB needed to be making and releasing circa 2015-2016.
  • WTF are people talking about with special effects? Again Twitter isn't real life. Nobody in the theater is rewatching set clips in slow motion. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary at all. The multiverse crap is clearly supposed to look the way that it does. 
  • It is, however, 'modern DC' film. The concept is excellent, the execution is actually very good here, but the script could be a bit tighter. Can't help but think that, like The Batman before it, the story here is so large that it could almost separate into 2 separate films. The Zod invasion works fine but can't help thinking there could have been more here to make it more powerful. 

A- and fully expecting solid holds from here on out. 

Oh my god the copium is insane. "Twitter is not real life" Cinemascore doesn't get its result from twitter.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

The touchdown dances after Rise of the Beasts 1st weekend are actually more embarassing than what most posters did prior to Flash. There was much more "TRANSFORMERS IS BACK" than there ever was people saying Flash would do 80 mil OW.

Transformers had a halfway decent but unspectacular opening that outperformed the worst case "30 mil opening" predictions and created the ILLUSION of going well. It completely crashed this week and made it clear the negative predictions were just delayed. 

In contrast most people on here kind of expected a soft Flash launch and weren't that shocked about this result.

Bring Back Michael Bay. He's already a producer for these movies.