Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Time for

Impossible Mission

Mission of the Impossible 

Impossible the Mission Saga

More like Top Gun: Mission Impossible

40 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Flash being relatively DOA is only good news for Indy. 

There’s a big audience that won’t have been to see an event film for weeks by the time Indy arrives, and they’re potentially going to come out and spend those dollars to see Indy now.  

The pieces are in place for it to break out for sure. 

I have seen what happened to Ghostbusters &Resident Evil. I won't have hope on Indy. Audience will likely be moving forward among the trio of MI7-Opp-Barbie.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

But I swear a lot of posters on BOT told me that The Last Mermaid was a bomb

Do you think making $30 instead of $20 in Japan has some big impact on profitability?   

The DOM legs were good enough that it’ll be fine but still a pretty uninspiring ROI with the gross vs budget.

Edited by Into the Legion-Verse
  • Like 7
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

But I swear a lot of posters on BOT told me that The Last Mermaid was a bomb

I think you are not getting the point if you think $30M in Japan for Disney Live Action looks good. Then, I wonder what would you think about Aladdin &Beauty and The Beast Numbers

This Numbers aren't good for that category of films. Feels much like an lite version of Cindrella. 

1 minute ago, Into the Legion-Verse said:

Do you think making $30 instead of $20 in Japan has some big impact on profitability?   

The DOM legs were good enough that it’ll be fine but still a pretty uninspiring ROI with the gross vs budget.

I think that the market has changed. This is the new normal. How the studios will adapt, it’s up to them. We don’t really know how much a film is profitable to their parent companies anymore, between merch, streaming, PVOD and everything else. This is likely crossing $500m WW. I see it as an win.

Lost in the Flash debacle is that it still is the fifth consecutive film to open to at least $50M, first time ever (though who would have though it - and not Transformers - would be the only one under $60M 2 months ago ...)

I do agree that there is going to be a bit of a starved audience effect post-Flash, and Indy through Barbie may benefit, but in contrast to this recent stretch of diverse audiences, the next couple of major releases - unless you consider Insidious to be "major" - are all expected to skew pretty White. Leaving a certain August opening poised to chow down at the box office

Hungry The Meg GIF by Regal

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

the next couple of major releases - unless you consider Insidious to be "major" - are all expected to skew pretty White. Leaving a certain August opening poised to chow down at the box office

Did the first Meg have a pretty good diverse demo when it came out domestic?

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Lost in the Flash debacle is that it still is the fifth consecutive film to open to at least $50M, first time ever (though who would have though it - and not Transformers - would be the only one under $60M 2 months ago ...)

I do agree that there is going to be a bit of a starved audience effect post-Flash, and Indy through Barbie may benefit, but in contrast to this recent stretch of diverse audiences, the next couple of major releases - unless you consider Insidious to be "major" - are all expected to skew pretty White. Leaving a certain August opening poised to chow down at the box office

Hungry The Meg GIF by Regal

I know it’s very unlikely, but it would be wild if Blue Beetle grosses more than The Flash. I have a thing for underdogs.

• Like 1

Barbie and Dune 2 feel like the only WB movies for the remainder of this year I'm confident won't lose money. Feel like it's only a matter of when the next merger/acquisition is gonna be at this point

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Barbie and Dune 2 feel like the only WB movies for the remainder of this year I'm confident won't lose money. Feel like it's only a matter of when the next merger/acquisition is gonna be at this point

Will Dune 2 make WB lose money? I don’t think so. Will Dune 2 be a box office success is a whole different question. I’m always kinda amazed how one could look at Dune’s box office performance and say "yeah, that was a box office success". It didn’t flop like BR2049. But not by much.

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Will Dune 2 make WB lose money? I don’t think so. Will Dune 2 be a box office success is a whole different question. I’m always kinda amazed how one could look at Dune’s box office performance and say "yeah, that was a box office success". It didn’t flop like BR2049. But not by much.

It made 150M more than BR2049 coming out in the middle of the pandemic with a domestic day and date release...?

• Like 1

Daily Domestic Chart for Sunday June 18, 2023

Movie Title Distributor Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Days In
Release
- (-) Past Lives A24 $232,279 -10% +64% 85 $2,733 $1,901,742 17
- (-) You Hurt My Feelings A24 $96,611 -10% -28% 249 $388 $4,351,159 24

2   $328,890