Eric Lasagna

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Again you would hope. But we’re also talking about a country who basically went close to 50/50 for Trump both times… 

That demographic rarely if ever goes to the movies. 

23 minutes ago, JWR said:

Okay, no. Things are rough, but nowhere near dire enough for that to be a possibility.

I think people are being way too hyperbolic, there are multiple things that can occur before Disney even considers closing down Pixar. I would imagine it'd be sequels, budget cuts, change of leadership and way way down is closing the studios. 

Wish I think should do well, probably more of a Moana than a Frozen. 

I do think the whole Disney is doomed narrative is a bit eyerolling, this is the company with many successful ventures and IP. 

• Thanks 1

I would be willing to bet money that by 2030 movies like No Hard Feelings, Elemental, and Asteroid City are no longer released in theaters. I would say that by the end of the decade the vast majority of theaters are shuttered and the model becomes the occassional roadshow-type release for a very large release. I just don't think people have grappled at all with how quickly and dramatically people's habits are changing. Not just with movies but with all consumption of entertainment and information. The world of 2030 is going to be unrecognizable from the world we live in today because of the exponential takeover of technology.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

LOL and that boycott is doing so good let me tell you.

Record attendance numbers despite increase ticket prices in the park.

A streaming service that literally prints money on solely it being the home of all Disney animated films.

Sure there theaters may not be billion dollar hits but lets not pretend they're not still excelling at everything. Avatar 2 alone made 2 billion dollars. 

Just because some fucking clowns want to boycott Disney and  proudly wave Nazi flags,  posters with homophobic or racial slurs at the entrance to Disney World doesn't mean they're doing any true harm to the Mouse.

Dude, Disney is in pretty dire straights all around these days, or have you not been paying attention? D+ sure as hell isn’t “printing money”, it’s closer to them hitting the panic button than it is that. Obviously not at all saying it’s all due to that boycott, just questioning if it’s an actual factor after all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I would be willing to bet money that by 2030 movies like No Hard Feelings, Elemental, and Asteroid City are no longer released in theaters. I would say that by the end of the decade the vast majority of theaters are shuttered and the model becomes the occassional roadshow-type release for a very large release. I just don't think people have grappled at all with how quickly and dramatically people's habits are changing. Not just with movies but with all consumption of entertainment and information. The world of 2030 is going to be unrecognizable from the world we live in today because of the exponential takeover of technology.

That sounds plausible but more so for 2040 than for less than 10 years from now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think people are being way too hyperbolic, there are multiple things that can occur before Disney even considers closing down Pixar. I would imagine it'd be sequels, budget cuts, change of leadership and way way down is closing the studios. 

Wish I think should do well, probably more of a Moana than a Frozen. 

I do think the whole Disney is doomed narrative is a bit eyerolling, this is the company with many successful ventures and IP. 

Agreed, but hyperbole and jumping to conclusions are the norm on this site.

Things are rough for Disney, no doubt. But the studio is nowhere near in enough danger that they could be shut down within the next 10 years. 

11 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Why did Elemental fail? Because it's another in a long line of animated films about abstract worlds that seem like ours... but seemingly without anything original to say. I'm assuming the film is as uninspired as the marketing made it seem and the 75%ish RT score indicates critics thought (that's "broadly palatable" range)

What does this film do (or even attempt to do) better than Zootopia (or any number of anthropomorphic animal animated films)? Or previous Pixar efforts like Monsters Inc, Cars, or even Onward?

The twist on the formula was... make it a rom-com? Can't imagine how that gets the kiddos on board.

no different to pretty much every one of the 65 million comic book movies we’ve had in the last 20 years. 

The reason isn’t people didn’t want to see it. Just a ton know they can watch it for free in next to no time. That’s what Disney are having to figure out. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dude, Disney is in pretty dire straights all around these days, or have you not been paying attention?

This quarterly report says differently, unless you consider revenue and profit growth to be "dire straights"....

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/app/uploads/2023/05/q2-fy23-earnings.pdf

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I do have to wonder if the whole don’t say gay Disney backlash last year from the crazies in this country has genuinely affected Disney. It would make sense it would hit animation the hardest since these people tend to be your suburban family conservatives who would have lots of kids. Also the type who traditionally loved Disney. I mean, look at what’s happening to Target right now. These bigots are not just some niche or small problem these days, they’re pretty rampant. 

The biggest movie of the summer might be about an interracial trans relationship, so...

The Flash in and of itself obviously doesn't portend the death of theaters but I am stone cold certain if you talk to the average man on the street their desire to go to a movie theater is significantly less than 2019. Signficiantly. And that ain't coming back. That explains the holdovers and Elemental more than the Flash.

• Like 3

People act as if Disney did not go through a rough patch ever. Y'all remember Disney in the early 2000's? If it wasn't for Pixar they wouldn't have had much of anything.

As much as I LOVE Emperors New Groove, that flopped. 

Home on the Range, Chicken Little, Treasure Planet, Atlantis....like come on now. And I freaking love Treasure Planet and Atlantis and would kill for live action remakes of those films.

Between Lilo and Stich and Tangled...Disney flopped a lot.

Edited by Cappoedameron

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Illumination/Universal never had an entire “boycott the company” campaign like Disney got last year. 

A lot of that just seemed like online bluster to me. The US Disney parks are almost back to pre-pandemic levels, which wouldn't be possible without significant support from red states. Maybe there is a percentage of people who have actually sworn off Disney products for good in their lives, but I suspect many are just all talk without actually significantly altering their consumer habits.

• Like 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

no different to pretty much every one of the 65 million comic book movies we’ve had in the last 20 years. 

The reason isn’t people didn’t want to see it. Just a ton know they can watch it for free in next to no time. That’s what Disney are having to figure out. 

I think judging from the comments by Pete Docter that Disney know it as well and my guess is that probably the window to Disney+ is going to be a lot longer and the more films from Disney that don't arrive on Disney+ within 45-90 days, the more people will likely be weaned off and have to go to see it first in cinemas. 

• Like 2

I actually think cmaster clay's prediction is pretty likely, just not for within 2030. A lot of genres like romcom are basically unviable already. What will really do it will be when the few remaining theatrical draws (Avatar, MCU stuff, remaining popular animation) start to go streaming only. I do think it will take a bit longer than 7 years (15?) for that to happen though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

doomposting the death of theatres again over unappealing movies flopping i've just filled my bingo card, great thread everyone.

I mean the only billion dollar movie this year will be Mario. A Fresh Out of the Box Movie based on the biggest game of all time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XXRkham Asylum said:

This quarterly report says differently, unless you consider revenue and profit growth to be "dire straights"....

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/app/uploads/2023/05/q2-fy23-earnings.pdf

How was there anywhere to go but up after how bad it was getting when they brought Iger back on board? That is far from meaning they’re out of the woods yet. There are still tons of problems plaguing their film, theme park, and streaming division (I mean Elemental being the biggest Pixar bomb of all time is a thing happening at this moment). 

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

The biggest movie of the summer might be about an interracial trans relationship, so...

The biggest movie of the summer might be about a man transitioning from being a biological male to becoming Death, Destroyer of Worlds.