Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

I hope the suits over at Universal enjoy their sweet, sweet bonuses they'll get over having the biggest and sole billion dollar movie of the year. Between a ludicrously overcrowded summer and the rest of the year being filled with hard ceilings 2023 was always looking to be a disappointing year for exhibition. Hell, Mario making it to a billion is actually surprising considering video game movies usually have hard ceilings, with the previous top dog Warcraft topping out at $439M. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see another billion dollar movie again until Avatar 3 in 2025.

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I actually think cmaster clay's prediction is pretty likely, just not for within 2030. A lot of genres like romcom are basically unviable already. What will really do it will be when the few remaining theatrical draws (Avatar, MCU stuff, remaining popular animation) start to go streaming only. I do think it will take a bit longer than 7 years (15?) for that to happen though.

You also have to factor in that movies don't sell DVDs quite like they used to. 

Movies, like ShawShank Redemption, made their living and gained notoriety that way.

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I would be willing to bet money that by 2030 movies like No Hard Feelings, Elemental, and Asteroid City are no longer released in theaters. I would say that by the end of the decade the vast majority of theaters are shuttered and the model becomes the occassional roadshow-type release for a very large release. I just don't think people have grappled at all with how quickly and dramatically people's habits are changing. Not just with movies but with all consumption of entertainment and information. The world of 2030 is going to be unrecognizable from the world we live in today because of the exponential takeover of technology.

Not gonna lie, that Apple Vision Pro has been making me a bit too anxious when it comes to entertainment. I was scoffing at it earlier, and thought it looked too geeky and gimmicky. But then I was thinking to myself...people would probably really like having it as a way to watch movies. And Apple is good at selling unconventional stuff. And I'm already picturing a Toy Story sequel with Hanks and Allen's voices recreated through AI entirely done in VR headsets or some crap like that.

Ready Player One was a documentary.

• Like 1

Just now, KP1025 said:

A lot of that just seemed like online bluster to me. The US Disney parks are almost back to pre-pandemic levels, which wouldn't be possible without significant support from red states. Maybe there is a percentage of people who have actually sworn off Disney products for good in their lives, but I suspect many are just all talk without actually significantly altering their consumer habits.

Disney's problem with the parks is that they're at capacity which is a good thing and a bad thing.

3 minutes ago, XXRkham Asylum said:

This quarterly report says differently, unless you consider revenue and profit growth to be "dire straights"....

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/app/uploads/2023/05/q2-fy23-earnings.pdf

People forget Disney is more than just movies and indeed many of their divisions are still making hand over fist like the various stage productions of The Lion King. Even Spider-Verse which is a Sony film, they'll be making money from it because they own Spider-Man. 

Their slump at the moment is nowhere near as bad as what they've experienced in the past and that's thanks to diversifying by buying key IP like Marvel and Star Wars.

• Like 4

2021: This year sucked at the box office because COVID!

2022: This year sucked at the box office because COVID delayed too many releases!

2023: This year sucked at the box office because COVID delayed releases are bad!

What will be the line in 2024 while people continue to act like shit isn't totally fucking dire?

• Like 2

People saying that theaters are dead because of unappealing product like The Flash and Elemental? Lol

people are more picky about what they go out to see nowadays and that’s a good thing. Will force studios to try and make better and more appealing product 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

The biggest movie of the summer might be about a Barbie girl living in a barbie world. 

The way Barbie is so poised to be an epic breakout that everyone is “shocked” over like Mario… literally all the pieces are in place right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I hope the suits over at Universal enjoy their sweet, sweet bonuses they'll get over having the biggest and sole billion dollar movie of the year. Between a ludicrously overcrowded summer and the rest of the year being filled with hard ceilings 2023 was always looking to be a disappointing year for exhibition. Hell, Mario making it to a billion is actually surprising considering video game movies usually have hard ceilings, with the previous top dog Warcraft topping out at $439M. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see another billion dollar movie again until Avatar 3 in 2025.

The profits from Mario are likely covering the losses of Fast X.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

doomposting the death of theatres again over unappealing movies flopping i've just filled my bingo card, great thread everyone.

ding ding ding ding ding ding

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I do have to wonder if the whole don’t say gay Disney backlash last year from the crazies in this country has genuinely affected Disney. It would make sense it would hit animation the hardest since these people tend to be your suburban family conservatives who would have lots of kids. Also the type who traditionally loved Disney. I mean, look at what’s happening to Target right now. These bigots are not just some niche or small problem these days, they’re pretty rampant. 

Naah man. It just happened to coincide with the Chapek era of clusterfuck management.

Though to be fair, if Chapek had never happened and Iger was handling DeSantis from the start, this dumb controversy wouldn't have occurred so maybe it's not a coincidence but yet another causal effect of Chapek's actions.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

The way Barbie is so poised to be an epic breakout that everyone is “shocked” over like Mario… literally all the pieces are in place right now. 

I'm both looking forward and dreading the OW thread of that and Oppenheimer.

Barbie has been getting a lot of buzz, loads of people I know who haven't played with Barbie since they were kids are really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

2021: This year sucked at the box office because COVID!

2022: This year sucked at the box office because COVID delayed too many releases!

2023: This year sucked at the box office because COVID delayed releases are bad!

What will be the line in 2024 while people continue to act like shit isn't totally fucking dire?

I thought 2022 was very promising overall. This year is back to dark times it seems.