Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The Office Thank You GIF

Seriously, this is such an obvious pump and dump scheme it's not even funny. That's why I'm not going to get too excited about James Gunn's slate just yet. The way DC has been, there's a scarily real chance he could have clashed with regime number 30101717151 and left by the time Superman Legacy makes it to theaters.

Even if WBD gets sold in 2024, the amount of time that it'd need to get passed (especially with how ridiculously gigantic WBD as an entity is) is more than enough that his film would've had its box office run by then. If it's a success, then his job at the new merged company would probably remain safe. 

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't have the numbers in front of me but when has Wes Anderson ever had a movie open above 10 million?

Well usually they open limited, but I can’t find a single WA movie that ever had a better than $8.5M weekend at any point in its run (both Grand Budapest and Royal Tenebaums)

• Like 1

Also to be honest I'm questioning who would even buy WBD at this point.
NBC Universal is the guess but they also have a ridiculous amount of debt at the moment that makes the prospect of adding WBD's 40 billion dollar debt unenticing to say the least. Apple or Amazon are probably the only viable options but who knows if they really want to expand that much into the entertainment business.

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The Office Thank You GIF

Seriously, this is such an obvious pump and dump scheme it's not even funny. That's why I'm not going to get too excited about James Gunn's slate just yet. The way DC has been, there's a scarily real chance he could have clashed with regime number 30101717151 and left by the time Superman Legacy makes it to theaters.

I wouldn’t be worried about James Gunn’s position. Remember where Kevin Feige was when Marvel Studios was bought by Disney? Sort of the same situation here. I would even dare to say that James Gunn is right now as untouchable as Kevin Feige at WBD. More: not even getting Kevin Feige from Marvel Studios would be a better fit to fix DC Studios than James Gunn. If Gunn can’t do it, no one can. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

22 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't have the numbers in front of me but when has Wes Anderson ever had a movie open above 10 million?

To highlight, Wes Anderson's artistry visual style has become a tiktok phenomenon that go viral in the social media in the past few months. The viral generate unusual exposure of an indie filmmakers among youngsters. Not sure how this will help AC since these viral trend is still an internet phenomenon and AC is still an niche film after all but the presale sign is encouraging. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t think people understand what is Zaslav’s master plan here. WBD is clearly being prepped for another merger. I think it’s a matter of time before Amazon / Microsoft or even Netflix take a swing at it.

Wasn't Apple the big rumor to buy WB? 

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

To highlight, Wes Anderson's artistry visual style has become a tiktok phenomenon that go viral in the social media in the past few months. The viral generate unusual exposure of an indie filmmakers among youngsters. Not sure how this will help AC since these viral trend is still an internet phenomenon and AC is still an niche film after all but the presale sign is encouraging. 

You make some good points but I don't see any reason why it would open north of 10 million.

30 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I don't think BA was ever a terrible performance tbh - even back then I think I said the main problem was tbe budget being way too high

...though in hindsight the film (and Rock in particular) has been vindicated a lot, the brand is so weak there's really no other way the film would've gone that high other than for him

Right. Two things can both be true! Black Adam underperformed the budget and its theoretical potential. It also overperformed the current state of the DCEU.

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I was seeing NBCUniversal and Apple being thrown around as the most likely two.

It was NBCUniversal but they would never get the approval. Horizontal acquisition and all that. That was when Discovery stepped in, Zaslav is close friends with the NBCUniversal CEO.

Just now, ChipDerby said:

I guess personally if I had my choice, I would prefer Apple to buy WB. Given the options.

I don't really THINK it will happen, but logically it would make sense.

It isn’t, Iger’s return to Disney happened also to facilitate Disney and Apple integration happening. Apple gets Disney, now I’d imagine that either Amazon, Microsoft or even Netflix gets WBD.