Eric Lasagna

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m not a freeloader. Quite the contrary, I’m a provider lol. I kept my Netflix account all these years mostly because of my family and friends, but with the change there is no reason for me to continue, especially since I barely watch most of their stuff anyway. The only thing I actually watched since last year was the Kevin Smith’s Masters of the Universe cartoon and Glass Onion, which were amazing but I barely watch their stuff. 

These cases seem to be a minority, which Netflix likely considered when they decided to apply the password crackdown.

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I know this place has its share of crazies but Disney being bought by Apple is not going to happen. 

Pick your crazies:

Wall Street senior analyst for investment bank Needham Laura Martin:

In a research report, Martin wrote that the companies "are worth more together than separately."

"Combining Apple's distribution footprint of 1.25 billion unique customers with Disney's 570 million consumers reached each year would drive 15% to 25% valuation upside for Apple shareholders," she noted.

The total valuation would be around $631 billion based on its current $2.5 trillion market capitalization, according to Markets Insider.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/business-news/will-apple-acquire-disney-an-influential-analyst-thinks-so/448758

V.

Apple Insider’s Senior Editor and Apple Historian (whatever that is) William Gallagher:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/11/23/apple-will-not-buy-disney-no-matter-how-often-it-hears-that-it-will

Kind of hilarious at the theater i work at today, for the 4 o'clock set the 2 showings of Flash sold 30/180 tickets, GotG 3 sol 26/40 in a single showing. Elemental did insanely will though with the first showing of the day selling 70/130 tickets, and will easily win for us at least today.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It’s funny that you think both things aren’t related. 

Netflix didn’t exist in a vacuum, Netflix exists as a counterpoint to something that make their existence possible. 

The “something”? Tickets prices rising at super speed, which make the experience of go to a theater more elitist and the possibility of having a big catalogue available at home something great. 

Then we got to the mid budgets, seeing that people was having less money to go to theater and see a lot of movies, what did Hollywood do? Decided to invest on spectacle which aren’t available at home the same way, but not any spectacle, the comfortable type of spectacle that is more likely to get their money back, which is: sequels, remakes, reboots and yes, SH in the middle of all these things. 

So once again what Netflix did? Counterpoint, make investments in the opposite of what Hollywood did, so yes, mid budget movies that aren’t valuable anymore in an theatrical industry going full on IP’s. 

With that said, is clear that even streaming existence is just a consequence of capitalism crisis and how Hollywood answered. 

I’m not sure if it happened in a vacuum or not. Like I said, my understanding is that you and many others here have a very romantic vision of what is cinema. Me I saw my town’s 50+ years movie theater close so it became another drug store, and it took us 5+ years so a new movie theater would open. I like films that put people’s butts on seats and that helps movie theaters to stay open, because for good 5+ years, I didn’t had the luxury to watch a film in my home town because just like we are seeing now, "cinema was dying" back in 2005 too, it was all about the death of old school movie theaters and the rise of the multiplexes at shopping malls here in Brazil. 

If superhero films, remakes, nostalgia, Nolan making an actual nuclear bomb (as long as it’s not real and it doesn’t harm the environment and well, doesn’t get anyone killed), Tom Cruises doing backflips in space gets butts in the seats, more power to them. What killed my old ass movie theater that I grew up with wasn’t the price of the tickets, it was old and the old patron loved movies but there wasn’t enough people attending already way back then, at least to a movie theater that was just too big for its own good. Tickets were cheap. People simply didn’t show up.

A lot of you seem to see cinema as a sacred art form, but for that sacred art form to thrive, people need to be willing to go and attend the films. The big films keep the small theaters alive, giving the possibility to other films to also get a shot to shine. Yes, I love spectacle films, and thank god evil Hollywood came up with those because if not, movie theaters would be dead long ago. With the advancement of tech and people owning home theaters and top notch TVs at home,  I don’t see how anyone can expect that people will not want to go to a movie theater for spectacle. 

Also, side note: Netflix, Spotify and all the streaming options exist as an answer to something that movie theaters were already fighting back then: piracy.  From cam rips to advance releases since the releases were even more escalated back then. It is what it is.  Writing me walls of text and me writing you back won’t change the fact that the cold hard truth is that a lot of the films that the old guard consider cinema was more prevalent, movie theaters would close. So yeah, give me the park rides. Give me the crazy experiences that only movie theaters can give. As long as it helps movie theaters still being POPULAR EXPERIENCES, movie theaters and the moviegoing experience have a fighting chance of keep going forward.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

Who cares?  It’s great!

Nah man, JFK the movie's done like genuine damage to society and was a big part of the current conspiracy theory issues we're dealing with. 

EDIT: This isn't even getting into Oliver Stone being a Putin simp 

Edited by Mulder

My theatre has put up its showtimes for this weekend up until the Thursday when Indy 5 hits.

Flash keeps the PLF, so they must have locked that in. But, by the Thursday, they get bumped to the second smallest auditorium. The only one smaller is the second screen for ATSV. But it's main screen is the largest non PLF screen, so it's still doing okay.

They're clearly not expecting much legs on Flash. Transformers actually still has a bigger screen by that point.

Interestingly, Ruby Gillman isn't added for previews. It could still get a screen when they release the next weekend (could see Little Mermaid getting dropped), but it's rare to see my theatre not get every family friendly release.

39 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It’s funny that you think both things aren’t related. 

Netflix didn’t exist in a vacuum, Netflix exists as a counterpoint to something that make their existence possible. 

The “something”? Tickets prices rising at super speed, which make the experience of go to a theater more elitist and the possibility of having a big catalogue available at home something great. 

Then we got to the mid budgets, seeing that people was having less money to go to theater and see a lot of movies, what did Hollywood do? Decided to invest on spectacle which aren’t available at home the same way, but not any spectacle, the comfortable type of spectacle that is more likely to get their money back, which is: sequels, remakes, reboots and yes, SH in the middle of all these things. 

So once again what Netflix did? Counterpoint, make investments in the opposite of what Hollywood did, so yes, mid budget movies that aren’t valuable anymore in an theatrical industry going full on IP’s. 

With that said, is clear that even streaming existence is just a consequence of capitalism crisis and how Hollywood answered. 

edit: obviously this is something from a decade ago, since then and especially post pandemic these differences are stretching even more now that audiences are totally adapted to streaming and demanding even more to be willing to pay a ticket, otherwise not even relying on IP’s or brand is enough anymore. And with that we’re seeing even big movies going to streaming or flopping in theaters.

LMFAO. Yeah, I'm 100% sure that the comunist Netflix is so worried about the low income of audiences and they want to protect them from the elitist theaters, that's probably the reason why they've developed some fantastic anti consumer rules like blocking the password sharing while raising prices.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m not sure if it happened in a vacuum or not. Like I said, my understanding is that you and many others here have a very romantic vision of what is cinema. Me I saw my town’s 50+ years movie theater close so it became another drug store, and it took us 5+ years so a new movie theater would open. I like films that put people’s butts on seats and that helps movie theaters to stay open, because for good 5+ years, I didn’t had the luxury to watch a film in my home town because just like we are seeing now, "cinema was dying" back in 2005 too, it was all about the death of old school movie theaters and the rise of the multiplexes at shopping malls here in Brazil. 

If superhero films, remakes, nostalgia, Nolan making an actual nuclear bomb (as long as it’s not real and it doesn’t harm the environment and well, doesn’t get anyone killed), Tom Cruises doing backflips in space gets butts in the seats, more power to them. What killed my old ass movie theater that I grew up with wasn’t the price of the tickets, it was old and the old patron loved movies but there wasn’t enough people attending already way back then, at least to a movie theater that was just too big for its own good. Tickets were cheap. People simply didn’t show up.

A lot of you seem to see cinema as a sacred art form, but for that sacred art form to thrive, people need to be willing to go and attend the films. The big films keep the small theaters alive, giving the possibility to other films to also get a shot to shine. Yes, I love spectacle films, and thank god evil Hollywood came up with those because if not, movie theaters would be dead long ago. With the advancement of tech and people owning home theaters and top notch TVs at home,  I don’t see how anyone can expect that people will not want to go to a movie theater for spectacle. 

Also, side note: Netflix, Spotify and all the streaming options exist as an answer to something that movie theaters were already fighting back then: piracy.  From cam rips to advance releases since the releases were even more escalated back then. It is what it is.  Writing me walls of text and me writing you back won’t change the fact that the cold hard truth is that a lot of the films that the old guard consider cinema was more prevalent, movie theaters would close. So yeah, give me the park rides. Give me the crazy experiences that only movie theaters can give. As long as it helps movie theaters still being POPULAR EXPERIENCES, movie theaters and the moviegoing experience has a fighting chance of keep going forward.

Your problem is that you think being “romantic” about cinema is the same of being opposite to modern blockbusters. 

I liked a lot of these sequels and IP’s … Avatar and Maverick are among the best things Hollywood offered as spectacle in years. SpiderVerse are a brilliantly executed art form, Guardians 3 is a gorgeous marriage of industry needs with some kind of authorship inside of it. 

So no, i have nothing against big movies that put butts in the seats. What i do have against is the fact that this is the only things we have now and this is a problem for the future.

Be critical of the cultural dominance of one type of cinema isn’t the same thing of hating what’s popular. There should be space for variety, you think that’s romantic? So be it, cinema is indeed a sacred art form, and this includes blockbusters, but not only and this is what we stand for. Art is supposed to have variety, people are supposed to have options, and Hollywood isn’t giving much options for quite some time now. 

We should all be thankful because what they do put butts in the seats? Anyone who knows how cinema works is just waiting for this latest cycle to die, because this always happens. Cinema isn’t dying since 2005, cinema is dying since it began, it’s always cycles of movies thriving until they didn’t.

We’re just worried that the fact that Hollywood is focused in only one type of cinema for more than a decade and teaching audiences that these movies are the only things worthy of watching in a theater will create a problem they maybe won’t be able to solve because these movies will start to became less and less profitable eventually and what do we have left? Nothing, there’s nothing new being successfully created. 

Historically, for every cycle of movies dying commercially, there was new types of movies rising in relevance and popularity. We’re seeing these franchises cracking, but we’re not seeing anything new coming out of it yet, and maybe because audiences learned that new things can be watched at home.

And yes we’re worried about it, this is not being romantic, this is being smart enough to not take things for granted, and not pretend just because something is successful now we need to be thankful for that and just do that, pretending it will work forever without making investments in actually new and exciting things.

This is why movies like Nope is so important, and still some people believe they should be made cheaper (and likely worse), or just not be made at all because right now is not the most profitable thing. It’s not now, but it could, they have to keep trying so there will be something to thrive once IP’s decline.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

LMFAO. Yeah, I'm 100% sure that the comunist Netflix is so worried about the low income of audiences and they want to protect them from the elitist theaters, that's probably the reason why they've developed some fantastic anti consumer rules like blocking the password sharing while raising prices.

This is literally not what i said. 

They don’t care about the fact that theaters became an elitist programming and Hollywood decided to get lazy with it, they are simply profiting from it being a counterpoint of a less expensive type of distribution.

Idk maybe read again before answering with ironic bad jokes. 

59 minutes ago, cannastop said:

With Elemental's juneteenth hold, I wonder if 3x or even 3.33x the OW is possible

I’m currently sailing in the Elemental 2nd weekend > Elemental OW boat. Pretty sure I’ll sink but the weather is great and bar’s stocked so feel free to hop aboard.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Y

So no, i have nothing against big movies that put butts in the seats. What i do have against is the fact that this is the only things we have now and this is a problem for the future.

B

And yes we’re worried about it, this is not being romantic, this is being smart enough to not take things for granted, and not pretend just because something is successful now we need to be thankful for that and just do that, pretending it will work forever without making investments in actually new and exciting things.

This is why movies like Nope is so important, and still some people believe they should be made cheaper (and likely worse), or just not be made at all because right now is not the most profitable thing. It’s not now, but it could, they have to keep trying so there will be something to thrive once IP’s decline.

That;s the problem, in a couple of years we will have nothing but big budget spectacles and low budget horror movies and comedies in theaters unless things change. And if that happnes the death of the movie theater will be no great loss.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Nah man, JFK the movie's done like genuine damage to society and was a big part of the current conspiracy theory issues we're dealing with. 

EDIT: This isn't even getting into Oliver Stone being a Putin simp 

THIS. . Yes, JFK is well done techincially, but is a huge piece of crap about an impotant historical event.

This whole "the truth and facts don;t matter" attiude ti why the US is in the crisis we are in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

That;s the problem, in a couple of years we will have nothing but big budget spectacles and low budget horror movies and comedies in theaters unless things change. And if that happnes the death of the movie theater will be no great loss.

And that’s where we fundamentally disagree. As long as the movie theater is popular and people are interested going to the movies to the point that the whole venture can still exists, I’m pleased.

I see this as the market regulating itself more than anything else. I don’t see any of the genres disappearing, I see them becoming more adequate to what the public is demanding, and I see this as a long term strategy to keep movie theaters afloat. If it’s just for the art, movie theaters are doomed. If you truly think that the moviegoing experience is only worth it if you have films around that the GA already voted with their wallet that they aren’t that interested on, then you are more worried about the art form than the actual existence of the market. The art form is fluid and tastes change and evolve with time, the business isn’t. Hence why it’s so important that we do get all the so called big budget spectacles.