Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

No sane person expected Mario to fail for about the last 2 months before its release. I just don't think people expected this disproportionate a success.

True. But TBF the fact that it had April all to itself helped in its disproportionate success, just as a heavily crowded June is screwing these films over disproportionately.

7 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

I mean everybody was expecting Mario to be a big hit. How big is subjective, but you act like people here expected it to do sub-100 and it’s honestly gotten kind of old.

Lmaooo, the overall narrative was literally “Sonic expectations” right until the very end when tracking made it painfully obvious how silly that was. Of course there were a few others on board the hype train, but believe me, I’m very aware of how crazy my 500+/1b+ predictions for it all along were treated. 

And lol if you pull this revisionist history if Barbie explodes too, bc that has been ridiculed to death here. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

But this was an issue even before the pandemic. The 2019 Top 10 was pretty dire with just MCU, Disney live action remakes, WDAS/Pixar/Star Wars sequels,  and two murder clowns bringing up the rear.

Little Woman and Ford v Ferrari both did 100M+ in 2019. No way they even do 50M each in 2023.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Lmaooo, the overall narrative was literally “Sonic expectations” right until the very end when tracking made it painfully obvious how silly that was. Of course there were a few others on board the hype train, but believe me, I’m very aware of how crazy my 500+/1b+ predictions for it all along were treated. 

It was astronomical on Tiktok and Twitter

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I agree! Things are just accelerating. COVID was throwing gasoline onto sparks.

A movie like 1917 (which I didn't even really like) or Ford v Ferrari making what they did in 2023 would be an absolute fucking miracle

Oppy will easily pass that. Killers could pull up good numbers depending on how much Paramount pushes it. 

Edited by WorkingonaName

45 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

People got used to streaming and like staying home. Most people I know laugh when they find out I see movies in theaters anymore. Many don't even realize they ever reopened. To people younger than me (29) the idea of going to a theater is probably how I thought of using payphones. I guess it's just obsolete technology. We have to come to grips with this reality.

Kind of agree here. Purely anecdotal: My friends never see movies in theaters unless its to avoid spoilers (MCU, Star Wars ETC) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And lol if you pull this revisionist history if Barbie explodes too, bc that has been ridiculed to death here. 

Either way, your schtick has gotten old and unfunny. And I really suggest you don’t do this in case Barbie does make the bajillions you think it will. Or else. Your choice buddy boy.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

34 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Flash may not be MCU but it is still a Comic book movie, was never going to have huge walkups like general audience franchise.

Plus it was that Big Cameo Fest which are naturally more frontloaded.

Sure, but there’s a big difference between a sub-6x off a huge $28M or $36M front-loaded preview … and below $10M. And that’s with a Father’s Day bump! 

This isn’t just CBM level of frontloaded, but sliding down closer to niche audience/fanboy heavy anime, like Dragon Ball’s ~5.3x last August. Which didn’t even manage a 2x OW …

I don’t even think Disney need to slowly have people catch on that they’re widening their window from theatrical to Disney+. (If they do, which they surely have to as they can only burn money for so long). 

Just put it in black and white on one of their banners on the service!!

They could have had….

’Disney. Pixar. Elemental. 
Now in theaters. Disney+ - Christmas.’

That would literally spell it out!
it’s not like anybody would cancel their sub! Lol.  

Instead, families are probably expecting to be able to watch it for free before their kids go back to school! 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I could care less about Flash or Elemental flopping. But that same picky, "I'll wait to see it at home" mentality means a movie like Good Will Hunting or Moneyball or True Grit or Michael Clayton never make 20m again, which means they stop getting released in theaters, which means eventually they stop making them of real quality. And those are the movies I care about.

People keep saying over and over it's because Flash and Elemental are unappealing product - but look at those movies I just listed, and tell me with a straight face they'd make any money nowadays. You can't. And they're definitely fucking appealing product.

not convinced they wouldn’t do well at all. It’s not like we have films that were as good as that that came out last year or the year before (I mean The Fabelmans? Give me a break). Also the real prying that would prevent them from reaching the heights they would have back in the 90s or 2000s I’d say  is the death of star power 

Edited by John Marston

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do think it's whole 'people like staying at home' frankly false, people still go to live events so it's not like people have become a nation of hermits.

They go to things that cannot ever be replicated at home. Concerts and such. I think the person above who said the movies that make money are things that have a real spoiler/rush fact to them is bang on. This means that the things that once built legs and just had normal runs are SOL. Many blockbusters will be fine I agree.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

Either way, your schtick has gotten old and unfunny. And I really suggest you don’t do this in case Barbie does make the bajillions you think it will. Or else. Your choice buddy boy.

You mean don’t point it out when you come in and act like the narrative was different all along than reality and think that’s somehow your “right?” 

Btw, I never instigate this shit with you, it’s always vice versa and your odd obsession with me is tiring. 

Edited by MovieMan89

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do think it's whole 'people like staying at home' frankly false, people still go to live events so it's not like people have become a nation of hermits.

I don't think people see attending live events and going to movie theaters as the same thing, though.

Edit: @Cmasterclay just made my point better than I could...

Edited by cookie