kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

5 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Great analysis. Right now it's looking pretty dire for Indy OW wise, but I'm still thinking it ends somewhere in the $500 million range. I know I'm going by hearsay with this and that's almost never a sure thing when it comes to stuff like this but at least irl most of the people I know who are 35/40+ are planning to see Indy regardless of reviews (my dad and mom included) so at the very least I think the older crowd will show up for it.

The question remains is the younger crowd even going to show up at all, which seems to be the real test.

I think if Crystal Skulls  did not exist and it was getting great reviews that might have pushed the young crowd into being interested ala TG Maverick. 

On 6/23/2023 at 8:13 PM, emoviefan said:

No John carter bombed and we are not  supposed to like movies that bomb. We should disown them and ridducle them because we are to insecure to do otherwise. I think I just described a lot of people on this forum maybe. 

Scott Pilgrim vs The World was a huge flop but one of the greatest films made this century.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Let's be honest with ourselves: that movie will be lucky to make Smurfs The Lost Village numbers. It should have been out a decade ago when the Turtles were still fairly popular and the first Nickelodeon series was in its prime. Now, when no one cares about the brand anymore? And with the trailers not leaving much of a mark? And especially with the stench of the Michael Bay movies? I don't think that'll be a threat to Elemental at all.

Let me guess...you don't know what kids actually like, do you? TMNT are still plenty popular.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Litio said:

How would Warner lose less money releasing The Flash on HBO Max? Do people think HBO Max has no marketing costs?

I don't think they would've spent money on that super bowl ad for a hbo max movie.

From Indiewire. This weekend is about $110 million (pending Sunday results — the order for the Top 10 looks correct, but some of the estimates might be a bit high). It is the second-worst June weekend in 20 years by a considerable margin (excluding 2020-2021). In 2019, the last normal year, the weekend grossed $164 million. 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I'd argue that The Batman benefitted from not getting marketed in the same way The Flash did.

I agree. My point is that I don't think the loss The Flash will bring to Warner would be any less by releasing the movie on HBO Max. One could argue that the film would bring more subscribers to HBO Max, but The Batman, released on HBO Max 45 days after its theatrical release, had more views on HBO Max in the first week than other DC films with hybrid release, according to Samba TV.

‘The Batman’ First Week Viewership On HBO Max Bigger Than Streamer’s Theatrical Day & Date Titles – CinemaCon

Since June 2017 was mentioned earlier I decided to look up that summer.   How the hell did we as a society allow the Emoji Movie to make 86 million?

Edited by DAR
  • Haha 7
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I don't think they would've spent money on that super bowl ad for a hbo max movie.

I partially agree, but with a theatrical release, the film's awareness level will already be high and Warner won't need to spend a lot on marketing when the film goes to HBO Max and The Flash will recoup the marketing theatrical release's spent, if not after it receives all the revenue generated at the box office, then after receiving the revenue from the ancillary markets.

It's kind of Interesting how the Toy Story franchise nicely breaks up the different "eras" of pixar lol. People usually think of pixar "before" and "after" Toy Story 3 since things became a little more mixed in the 2010s, but most everything they put out was still a pretty big hit. Immediately after Toy Story 4 we entered the COVID/Streaming era of pixar where their IP became less valuable. I feel like most of their movies have still been pretty good though this period, they just have been marketed and released according to a terrible strategy

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Scott Pilgrim vs The World was a huge flop but one of the greatest films made this century.

I love Scott Pilgrim vs. The World because it’s brilliant. Excited for the animated version of it, the whole cast is coming back.

1 hour ago, Litio said:

How would Warner lose less money releasing The Flash on HBO Max? Do people think HBO Max has no marketing costs?

I am not sure now, but during the peak of the DVD era, what was described (not making your theatrical release spending money back from the rental) happened to quite successful movies, most mid budget movie were greenlight with that in mind (theatrical releasing cost being above rental).

Theatrical being huge ads for the future window where the money were, I am sure it changed a lot with that money drying out fast.

They do split theatrical marketing with post theatrical marketing, but in reality it is not clean at all everything spent for the first window cascade helping the next one.

The Social Network, perfect success story all around, good money, not sure if it made its $110m releasing cost money back from theatrical rental, it was still around $10 million in the red (studio have a bit of love-hate relationship with Fincher with is marketing campaign demand/style), it made $172 in studio revenues after leaving theatre way more than during.

• Like 1
  • Heart 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

The Flash could've been a hit if it was released early in 2022 right after Suicide Squad... Black Addam & Shazam 2 killed all that was left of the DCEU momentum and public trust.

The DCEU lost momentum and trust long before Black Adam. 

53 minutes ago, DAR said:

Since June 2017 was mentioned earlier I decided to look up that summer.   How the hell did we as a society allow the Emoji Movie to make 86 million?

It was either that or Nut Job 2.

• Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

The Flash could've been a hit if it was released early in 2022 right after Suicide Squad... Black Addam & Shazam 2 killed all that was left of the DCEU momentum and public trust.

This is a weird take. 
Suicide Squad was a massive box office flop, and Black Adam is going to outgross The Flash but quite a margin. Also, Ezra’s crime spree was front and center last summer, more so than it is right now. 

Maybe we just need to accept that The Flash was destined to flop. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

Yeah... No. It's obvious now that those that have seen stateside aren't liking it. The WoM is outright bad DOM. 

1 hour ago, Killimano3 said:

It's kind of Interesting how the Toy Story franchise nicely breaks up the different "eras" of pixar lol. People usually think of pixar "before" and "after" Toy Story 3 since things became a little more mixed in the 2010s, but most everything they put out was still a pretty big hit. Immediately after Toy Story 4 we entered the COVID/Streaming era of pixar where their IP became less valuable. I feel like most of their movies have still been pretty good though this period, they just have been marketed and released according to a terrible strategy

Yeah, based on how basic TS3 is, we should have been prepared for what was to follow.