kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

46 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

TSS is the best rated DCEU film on IMDB with a bold 7.2 just after WW and JL Snyder's Version, so audiences did like it; it also did great on HBO Max. It bombed on the boxoffice because people still had the first Suicide Squad on mind and the latest DCEU disasters (WW84 & BoP), besides it got a terrible release date just between Free guy and Jungle cruise, both targeting similar audiences.

Of course the Covid dying down helped Black Adam a lot, but that help would've been better for the Flash in the long term, which even if it didn't get amazing reception at least got better word of mouth than BA.

What you talking about? JL Snyder's Version was actually widely popular and one of the most streaming films during the pandemic. And, at least die-hard fans would've watched The Flash a year ago, before the annoucement of all the studio changes they did a few months ago.

IMDB isn’t a good metric. It’s very easy to game and they just had to change their metrics recently. But TSS dropped 70% after its first weekend. And doing well on HBO Max isn’t super impressive when the service was less than a year old. There was also nothing wrong with the release date. An R-rated superhero film is not targeting the same audience as Free Guy and a family adventure movie based on a Disney ride.

Black Adam doing better would have helped a little, but there’s no real cohesiveness in the DCEU like there is for the MCU.

ZSJL was not “widely popular” it got less viewership than TSS (and both got less viewership than even stuff like Mortal Kombat). Die hard fans would’ve showed up to The Flash regardless, and they did. There are just very few of them.

I rolled my eyes at all the hipster Wes Anderson love back when Tenenbaums/Life Aquatic were all the rage with that crowd.  Both crazy overrated. But then his Fantastic Mr. Fox through Isle of Dogs stretch is legitimately great and I became a huge fan, surprisingly. But now feels like he’s back to those earlier days to me where it all feels too try hard. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

IMDB isn’t a good metric. It’s very easy to game and they just had to change their metrics recently. But TSS dropped 70% after its first weekend. And doing well on HBO Max isn’t super impressive when the service was less than a year old. There was also nothing wrong with the release date. An R-rated superhero film is not targeting the same audience as Free Guy and a family adventure movie based on a Disney ride.

Black Adam doing better would have helped a little, but there’s no real cohesiveness in the DCEU like there is for the MCU.

ZSJL was not “widely popular” it got less viewership than TSS (and both got less viewership than even stuff like Mortal Kombat). Die hard fans would’ve showed up to The Flash regardless, and they did. There are just very few of them.

If you don't trust IMDB, then we can use RT where it holds a 90% critic approval and 82% with audiences. Free Guy, Jungle Cruise & TSS all targeted young adult audiences who went for a combination of action and comedy, just with the latter being less family oriented.

Agree Black Adam hurt the DCEU by it's lack of cohesiveness, that's why I think the Flash using that date would've been better.

Nahhh... many die hard fans turned it's back on the DCEU after they fired Znyder.

50 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

First Suicide Squad made almost 800m. If James Gunn movie was called Suicide Squad 2 it would have done better, although probably still not breakeven.

58 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Nah, the first Suicide Squad wasn’t well liked, and a sequel wasn’t wanted. Especially without Will Smith or a Joker. 

SS16 had one of the best marketings of the 2010s, so no surprise it did that much because got people interested, but audiences didn't like the result, that's why I think SS21 got hurt by having the same title, it would've worked better if it was marketed as a Harley Quinn film.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

What did they change? 

They weren’t specific, but they said not all votes for all films are weighed equally, and they had to implement an “alternative weighting system” for The Little Mermaid because it got a huge influx of 1 star reviews from review bombers.

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/little-mermaid-review-bombing-imdb-ratings-change-1235630089/amp/

8 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

If you don't trust IMDB, then we can use RT where it holds a 90% critic approval and 82% with audiences. Free Guy, Jungle Cruise & TSS all targeted young adult audiences who went for a combination of action and comedy, just with the latter being less family oriented.

Agree Black Adam hurt the DCEU by it's lack of cohesiveness, that's why I think the Flash using that date would've been better.

Nahhh... many die hard fans turned its back on the DCEU after they fired Znyder.

It may have a high critic score, but its audience score is pretty low. Quantumania has an 81%, Black Adam has an 84%, and FOTG has an 86%. TSS just didn’t work for people. Other superhero movies have been able to withstand competition, and if TSS was a crowd pleaser it would have too.

I think it’s more accurate to say Snyder’s movies turned people away.

35 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

That's one way of phrasing it when for about a year Mortal Kombat was the #1 movie on HBO MAX. 

10 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

It may have a high critic score, but its audience score is pretty low. Quantumania has an 81%, Black Adam has an 84%, and FOTG has an 86%. TSS just didn’t work for people. Other superhero movies have been able to withstand competition, and if TSS was a crowd pleaser it would have too.

I think it’s more accurate to say Snyder’s movies turned people away.

The thing with TSS is that it's not a superhero movie though. It's kind of a weird beast of its own that on Gunn's filmography sits closer to something like Slither than even his Guardians films. That kinda makes it so that measuring any metrics next to other CBMs or blockbusters becomes a bit of a fucked endeavor since it was quite literally designed to pull the rug under the audience's feet from the first 10 minutes alone. 

It wasn't a crowd pleaser but at the same time... I'm not sure it was even designed to be? And I do feel that the pandemic caused it so that naturally anyone that had any reservations would've rather watched it on MAX. That film has about a trillion asterisks next to it because it was a very peculiar (but awesome) film released in very peculiar circumstances.

Edited by 21C

12 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

They weren’t specific, but they said not all votes for all films are weighed equally, and they had to implement an “alternative weighting system” for The Little Mermaid because it got a huge influx of 1 star reviews from review bombers.

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/little-mermaid-review-bombing-imdb-ratings-change-1235630089/amp/

Good! I think 1 star and 10 star ratings shouldn’t be counted, it’s clear people abuse these ratings, and I rarely if ever think a movie is 1/10 or 10/10 when I rate. 

18 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

SS16 had one of the best marketings of the 2010s, so no surprise it did that much because got people interested, but audiences didn't like the result, that's why I think SS21 got hurt by having the same title, it would've worked better if it was marketed as a Harley Quinn film.

3581472-bdpry_vert_tsr_dom_2764x4096_r01

3 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

3581472-bdpry_vert_tsr_dom_2764x4096_r01

That film was released just when covid was starting and (unlike TSS) didn't resonate well with audiences, had it been rewrited as a Joker & Harley film as originally intended and released outside the pandemic, it certainly would've been a hit, cos' the interest was there.

56 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes, because I respect everyone’s taste in movies no matter how close it aligns with mine or not, but I just could never get on board with Wes Anderson’s storytelling. His films are all very distinct and look beautiful, but since “style over substance” is a common complaint about movies, I always felt that somehow Anderson has been “exempt” from this.

Not saying that I don’t understand why people like his films. I just never could get on board. Even my favourites of his are just the ones that I “enjoyed.” I’ve never LOVED an Anderson film.

I hear you. There are earlier Wes Anderson films I really like, but I must admit he has lost me. And I also say that with respect to Wes Anderson fans. Movies like The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic have heart and an emotional beat. Nowadays, it feels like every actor in a Wes Anderson movie is trying to do the same Wes Anderson style deadpan delivery, devoid of anything dynamic or emotionally compelling.

I'm concerned that Asteroid City is another of his recent films that is overstuffed with characters, lacking humanity, and will leave me feeling disconnected, again. I see it this weekend; maybe I'll be surprised.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

I will be ultra normie and go with The Grand Budapest Hotel for my favorite Wes Anderson, is almost akin to animation and narrator style matching perfectly with how much was needed to be told for an epic tale.

Considering we are talking about Wes Anderson, will stick my flag on the hill of being a massive Wes head. Love the dude, outside of maybe Darjeeling I've loved everything he's done and I think his run from Fantastic Mr. Fox till French Dispatch is unmatched. Haven't seen Asteroid City yet.