Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

In a movie where the primary audience is boomer conservatives, Disney decided to have on of the main characters criticize capitalism in the trailer and gave that character more lines than Indiana Jones in the trailer.

What a braindead move. Almost like they wanted the movie to lose money.

• Like 6
  • Disbelief 1

19 minutes ago, KC7 said:

I'll give you the inexplicable decision to have him at Hunter College (and I disliked everything about that setup), but the supposedly annoying kid and female lead seemed to have warmed up to him by the halfway point (the Mutt conversation seemed to be the point that softened her to him) and any such comments after that (if there were any) seemed pretty benign. In his previous adventures, Indy dealt with:

a) a female lead who introduced herself by punching him in the face and telling him he was a creep

b) a female lead who spent the first half of the movie screeching at him and telling him he was an idiot

c) a female lead who was a Nazi who slept with him and betrayed him

d) a female lead who was a crazy Russian agent

It seems strange that audiences would demand Indy be treated with kid gloves by a woman in the fifth movie and be appalled that he isn't in the first half. Like...are they not familiar with this series at all?

D) makes no sense as she is the villain. About the others, you already failed to understand the point.

None of them tell him he is outdated. None of them is 50 years younger than him. They are romantic interests. Frankly, I couldn't care less but this is not what the target audience of this movie wants.

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

In a movie where the primary audience is boomer conservatives, Disney decided to have on of the main characters criticize capitalism in the trailer and gave that character more lines than Indiana Jones in the trailer.

No one currs

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Lmao one line joking about capitalism didn't cause this.

• Like 22

2 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I'm really left scratching my head at just what Disney was thinking screening Elemental and Indy at Cannes

They obviously thought they were good enough.

I don't necessarily think they anticipated Inside Out reception for Elemental though.

PWB is not the issue. It could be a male co-lead. If the way the character was written and played was the same, the end result would have been the same as well.

This movie needed an entire different production and setup. 

I don't completely blame Iger for that, think Andrew Stanton misjudged just how much interest there was in the property in a post-Avatar/Star Wars world, and it didn't have a script compelling enough to distinguish it.

Still glad he got to make it just so he knows. 

Edited by AniNate

9 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Wasn’t paying attention to box office 11 years ago. What exactly went wrong with JC? 

Iger and the head of Disney Studios at the time deliberately let the movie die by changing the original title of the movie (John Carter of Mars) and underselling the movie with awful trailer and posters that told you nothing about the movie. Iger knew he was gonna buy Lucasfilm that year anyway so he didnt care if the movie fail, witch is an injustice because that movie was one of the best sci fi movie ive seen.

Edited by Boxx93

1 hour ago, KC7 said:

It seems strange that audiences would demand Indy be treated with kid gloves by a woman in the fifth movie and be appalled that he isn't in the first half. Like...are they not familiar with this series at all?

This has been a weird thing people have with Lucasfilm characters. People threw fits at the very idea of Luke and Han and now Indy being portrayed in nothing but the greatest, most important light. People can't criticize them, them making mistakes are bad, them daring to be criticized by those icky women with their gross cooties and feminisms is bad. They just want their heroes to be as artificial as the action figures they used to play with. The last one is pretty hilarious, because you got people here whining about how Indiana Jones being lectured and squabbling and fighting with his woman companion is bad, when that was the dynamic since Day 1. But now in this culture war BS where people whine about how there's too many XX chromosomes forced into Star Wars and Ghostbusters, suddenly that doesn't matter anymore. Hopefully these weirdos grow up and move on from whining about these dumb kids movies. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

For all the criticisms of budgets today, including Dial of Destiny's, it's interesting to remember that Disney spent at least $250 million on f***ing John Carter, a movie with no stars and no name recognition, in 2012. That would be well over $331 million today, higher than even the latest DoD numbers Deadline leaked. That's completely insane.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

John Carter didn't have very good legs either so I don't think its failure can be completely attributed to marketing

It held a bit better in several international markets, but it opened so low nothing could save it.

8 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

This has been a weird thing people have with Lucasfilm characters. People threw fits at the very idea of Luke and Han and now Indy being portrayed in nothing but the greatest, most important light. People can't criticize them, them making mistakes are bad, them daring to be criticized by those icky women with their gross cooties and feminisms is bad. They just want their heroes to be as artificial as the action figures they used to play with. The last one is pretty hilarious, because you got people here whining about how Indiana Jones being lectured and squabbling and fighting with his woman companion is bad, when that was the dynamic since Day 1. But now in this culture war BS where people whine about how there's too many XX chromosomes forced into Star Wars and Ghostbusters, suddenly that doesn't matter anymore. Hopefully these weirdos grow up and move on from whining about these dumb kids movies. 🤷‍♂️

As it was once said in a great movie, let the past die.  Kill it if you have too.

• Heart 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Elemental…..

”Several markets saw increases including Korea (+41%), Australia (+39%), Germany (+18%), Brazil (+15%) and France (+5%) as well as Austria (+26%), Belgium (+19%), Switzerland (+12%), Malaysia (+12%), Czech Rep (+12%), Vietnam (+8%) and Peru (+1%)”

This is actually doing rather nicely after all the doom and gloom of OW. I guess word of mouth is doing wonders for it. 

If Japan embraces this movie, i think we’re looking at 250-300M OS 

It should reach ~200M just with the countries released by now, with Spain / UK / Japan left 

Really great all this considered 

And while DOM faced a bigger drop than i hope this weekend, still very strong and without anything for the next 10 days … i’m very confident in ~140M DOM 

It’s hilarious that Flash is legitimately going to ended up with less than 300M while Elemental with that disastrous openings can leg out for +400M

• Like 7

Kitsch has the leading man charisma of a sponge, so there’s the first problem. I also can’t remember one single thing about that movie and I’m trying really hard to, so there’s the second problem.

Anyways, I wonder what Disney does with the Indy IP now? It legitimately wouldn’t surprise me to see them just bury it entirely with how much money this will lose and all the fuss and drama that will come with any kind of reboot.