Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

Seems like DIS will indeed push a pretty long theatrical window for Elemental, finally they’re getting into their senses, and with the great holds it shouldn’t have much problem keeping screens 

As "Elemental" star Mamoudou Athie, who plays Wade, told Insider: "It's going to be out until Labor Day in theaters and that doesn't happen anymore. That's how much the studio believes in it." 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 9

55 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

On the positive side, Elemental will reach 91M by Sunday 

At this point, 120M and 4x multiplier is pretty much locked. 150M looking more possible everyday, certainly a relief for Pixar that it will just be a disappointment but with excellent run in a summer with so many disasters

Overseas performance + ancillaries will eventually put this movie in the black which honestly is a good course correction for Pixar after COVID trained audiences to wait for streaming, Lightyear bombed and Elemental had a horrific OW.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Seems like DIS will indeed push a pretty long theatrical window for Elemental, finally they’re getting into their senses, and with the great holds it shouldn’t have much problem keeping screens 

As "Elemental" star Mamoudou Athie, who plays Wade, told Insider: "It's going to be out until Labor Day in theaters and that doesn't happen anymore. That's how much the studio believes in it." 

They should wait until Christmas. Even though domestic run will mostly wrap up by September, there's leggy markets like Japan which don't even release until next month.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Elemental is another BO story post-pandemic that feature a bad or meh OW, only to come back alive to an okayish result. Other examples are ATOW, PIB2 and Crawdads. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Did SV really overperform? At least BOT was calling 400M+ dom and mini Infinity War effect since forever and it's meeting that expectation. But BOM may be an exception.

I think spiderverse discourse before tracking was similar to Dune part2 discourse right now.

Some believed it would explode because of the first movie great reception and post-theatrical popularity, while others thought the hype is mostly an internet bubble thing and it ll have a muchmore modest jump in boxoffice.

In the end it exploded and is gonna double the first movie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Just lol that we now live in a time where Star Wars is no longer a guaranteed money maker and an Indiana Jones film is about to lose hundreds of millions of $$

How heads haven't rolled yet is amazeballs

There's one head in particular that needs to roll, if Indy is on the way to being as big a flop as it appears. Not sure how anyone can rationally defend Kathleen Kennedy's tenure as studio head if that happens. She was a capable producer, but she's done a poor job of leading the whole thing - off something of a cliff, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Age of Adaline had me rooting for Blake Lively and Harrison Ford to make it work somehow, lol. It also introduced me to Anthony Ingruber and wonder if he can only play a young Harrison Ford in short bursts before the impersonation wears on you.

Elemental is going to pass The Flash's total and join the ranks of movies that opened on the same weekend, where #2 outgrosses #1 in the end.

9 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

DIS having Elio on 3/1 and Snow White on 3/22. They should move SW a week once Spider-Verse gets delayed.

Good lord, I forgot about Snow White being so close. Not ready for that shitshow with a POC playing a character literally named for her skin tone after all the Mermaid crap over a fictional creature that should have no ties to a set ethnicity 

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I think spiderverse discourse before tracking was similar to Dune part2 discourse right now.

Some believed it would explode because of the first movie great reception and post-theatrical popularity, while others thought the hype is mostly an internet bubble thing and it ll have a muchmore modest jump in boxoffice.

In the end it exploded and is gonna double the first movie.

Tanks everyone who replied to this inquiry! Yes hopefully DUNC II follows in SV footsteps and ends up in the explosion side of discourse. :)

• Like 1

At any rate Barbenheimer is really looking to be the event of the summer. Seeing all kinds of stuff with this cross promo that’s been happening w the two on social. Obviously I have always been full steam on the Barbie is going to be massive train, but I think I may be changing my tune on Oppy which I thought was a huge (lol) bomb waiting to happen.

Feel like this weird synergy between the two that has happened from the initial joke factor of them opening on the same day is actually going to end up benefitting both. Unless Opp reviews are poor, people aren’t gonna go see that long of a drama if it’s sitting at like 65% or something. 

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Good lord, I forgot about Snow White being so close. Not ready for that shitshow with a POC playing a character literally named for her skin tone after all the Mermaid crap over a fictional creature that should have no ties to a set ethnicity 

Unfortunately while I didn't mind Halle at all it's hard to disagree on the snow white casting being dumb. It's not like I really care though, these disney remakes I just catch on d+ if at all.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Well, I've never read or heard the accusation that a movie showing nazis as evil is a woke thing.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I've read the "anti-wokes" comparing the "wokes" with nazis. It seems both sides in this culture war has accused the other side to support nazis.

Well there were literal neo nazis protesting Disney alongside DeSantis supporters so lets not play the both sides game.

Hitler and the Nazis weren't woke in any sense. They were the complete opposite.

Obviously. :facepalm:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The backlash Rachel is receiving is nothing compared to what Halle has and is still receiving. I think Snow White won’t be in the same position as Mermaid.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Well there were literal neo nazis protesting Disney alongside DeSantis supporters so lets not play the both sides game.

Hitler and the Nazis weren't woke in any sense. They were the complete opposite.

Obviously. :facepalm:

I agree that Nazis weren't woke at all. I just mentioned I read "Antiwokes" comparing "Wokes" with Nazis. 

That said, I didn't know there were neo nazis protesting Disney along Desantis. That's a pretty bad look for people protesting Disney.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

Guys, Nazis are bad. Fascism is bad. Anti-Woke/Woke has just become a dog whistle to certain fascist and Nazi groups. Please let’s not have 10 pages about this topic. 

image.gif

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, Disney's still having a better 2023 than most given that have some of the biggest movies and I suspect it will remain that looking at what they have on deck for the rest of the year vs. what everyone else has.

it's a bit different when you have a winner among a bunch of losers. GOTG3 is the highest grossing summer release so far and sure studios want that, but with all their other flops Disney is far in the red over all and it is scary how tight their financial health is. They have low cash and can't afford the interest payments on new debt if they needed a substantial amount.

In the Indy thread there’s talk about having Gore Verbinski do one, and it really reminded me of how much I miss Verbinski’s movies. A Cure For Wellness is one of the most underrated movies of the last decade. Hope those rumors of him coming back to direct Logan’s Run are true.

• Like 3