Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

12 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

At this point, holiday weekends are probably a hinderance for movies these days. Last time June 30th was on a Friday, you had Last Knight and Wonder Woman seeing a jump in the 60s. Now the closest movie to reach that is Beasts and that’s it (and also Boogeyman I guess). Father’s Day/Juneteenth was pretty bad when it came to holdovers as well. Pity.

People don't want to spend their holidays at the movies spending money on popcorn and food, they would rather go as a family literally anywhere else. The price of moviegoing combined with movies which people are willing to wait till they come to streaming is leading to audience contraction, and the only response theaters and studios seem to have is to make more of the same movies and charge everyone more money to go watch them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Idk, Asteroid City is gonna be $18M+ after this weekend, likely looking at 4th overall spot amongst Anderson's films behind Budapest, Tenenbaums and Moonrise Kingdom despite not that great wom. Don't seem bad to me.

Planning to catch this with a boy I've been seeing this coming week.

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Han Solo was killed because Ford wanted him to die. Why is it so difficult for Star Wars fans to blame the actual person who killed Han Solo? You must blame Ford for that plot point. 

And he xbeen aiming for it since rotj...a movie he wasn't sure of returning for  and then phoned in his performance.

• Like 2

Indiana Jones continues to prove that Lucasfilm under Disney is a freaking mess. And I hate to sound like one of those weird incels with a hatred for Kathleen Kennedy because I do not hate her at all but will she please stop her obsession with dark-haired British women being the female lead in every movie? It's become silly at this point. 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Dragoncaine said:

I don't really get this "it's not that bad of a flop" mindset. The budget was $295m. It's one of the most expensive movies ever made. Opening $5m higher than Flash on a $95m higher budget with similar (though slightly better) audience reception is the opposite of encouraging. Breakeven should be somewhere around $737.5m.

I've posted like a trillion times in the last month that I don't care one lick about budgets. Why do I give a shit if a studio breaks even? I don't care if something like Air cost 50 mill or 300 mill either. I care about what a movie can make relative to reasonable expectations, and no doubt Indy is doing slightly better than other notable flops in that department, though still obviously very disappointing.

It doesn't matter anyway. CJohn is the only other poster who gets it. Shit just sucks!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, emoviefan said:

I swear this place is one giant advertisement to remember to refill the prozac prescriptions. 

Which is why I only come here sparingly. Even when the box office was doing fine pre pandemic this place was all doom and gloom.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

With this box office opening and not great OS numbers and ok reviews, when do we hear that Mangold has departed the Star Wars movie due to "creative differences"

That very well might explain why he's talked up Swamp Thing more recently than his "Biblical" Star Wars prequel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmnerdjamie said:

That very well might explain why he's talked up Swamp Thing more recently than his "Biblical" Star Wars prequel.

Of course it is. No way is he making that Star Wars movie now. KK has a routine. If you make a disappointing film, she fires you.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Which is why I only come here sparingly. Even when the box office was doing fine pre pandemic this place was all doom and gloom.

Trying to to pull myself away from here and not be on it so much. The problem is where to go to talk BO. Reddit is far worse from what i hear. And there are some people on here who are rational and reasonable and not all everything sucks its all coming to a end the sky is falling.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

And it'll certainly make more than The French Dispatch when all is said and done. But it's going to lose theaters way quicker than past Anderson films because of the stacked July.

This forum is just as bad as the Box Office subreddit when it comes to playing favorites. It's obvious so many folks care more about a particular film failing than the numbers. 

But yeah, as someone said above, hopefully budgets will come down now that COVID isn't throwing a wrench into every film. Also, hopefully studios will space their films out better going forward.

Like, it's great Mario made $1b and Spider-Verse was a hit (I don't have its numbers in front of me), but theaters need more than this to survive. Studios do too, especially ones that aren't Universal or Sony, although Fast X and RotB kneecaps Universal a little bit.

Not me... I may love Tenenbaums and Budapest from Wes Anderson but not much else from him. I especially didn't enjoy Moonrise Kingdom, Isle of Dogs and Darjeerling Limited. I didn't particularly like Asteroid City either. Just think it's best to compare to his other stuff after it's completed it's run in theaters if you comparing box office of his prior movies.

You posted a reply using movies that completed their full theatrical run and compared their grosses to a movie that's been in wide release for a single week and, unless you've since edited that post, didn't stipulate that Asteroid City was in only it's first week of wide release. Why wouldn't someone call out that post? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Trying to to pull myself away from here and not be on it so much. The problem is where to go to talk BO. Reddit is far worse from what i hear. And there are some people on here who are rational and reasonable and not all everything sucks its all coming to a end the sky is falling.

Yeah, practically every time I try to post something on reddit, it gets deleted or spammed with the same joke multiple times. 

Edited by poweranimals

4 hours ago, G Doss said:

I believe I said this would do Star Trek Beyond numbers. Aimed at an aging sci-fi fan base with no clear reason for existing, it is impossible to get people excited about it. 

I was mocked for that prediction but 60/170 is pretty close...

Bob Iger has ruined Disney. The company is dead creatively and morally, while he reaps a huge executive compensation package, even by Fortune 500 standards. 

It's time for him to be fired and the company needs to sue him to claw back some of that cash to make themselves whole. Clock is ticking to buy the rest of Hulu and they don't have enough money. 

Don’t understand why there are so many Bob Iger simps over the internet. He was just lucky to be able to buy so many studios. He was also the one that started the huge focus on streaming. At least under Michael Eisner, Disney made a variety of films for different audiences. Movies like Dead Poets Society, Pretty Woman, The Rock, Con Air, Enemy of the State, The Sixth Sense etc. all Disney movies 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 7