Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

Missing $60M, right?

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Jun 29, 2023 P $7,200,000   4,500 $1,600   $7,200,000  
Jun 30, 2023 1 $24,000,000   4,600 $5,217   $24,000,000 1
Jul 1, 2023 1 $19,000,000 -21% 4,600 $4,130   $43,000,000 2
Jul 2, 2023 1 $17,000,000 -11% 4,600 $3,696   $60,000,000 3
  • Like 2

The ONLY thing I feel compelled to point out to everyone dunking on Disney: Just like Lightyear, go back and read the reactions from posters on this very site when the concept was announced. Everyone thought Indy 5 was going to be a big hit. 

The theme of the summer is not just runaway budgets. It is that audiences just do not care, at all, about certain concepts which seemed very popular just a few years ago. The speed at which moviegoers are moving on from certain brands is remarkable.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Even don't think Luke is exactly referred to as a  chosen one in the OT.

Force is definitely a bloodline and family related I agree but did Rey really need to be a somebody . Her parents can still be nobodies and have midichlorians in their bloodline. Lots of the Jedi are probably "nobodies"

It's mostly a prequel problem but Empire/Jedi decision to switch to a family saga plays a role as well 

Without this scene, I'd agree with you about Rey's parentage. But it exists to have JJ Abrams should at the audience that "Rey's parents are significant, you should speculate about how this tease is going to pay off." It's genuinely weird to criticize audiences about their expectations that plot points will pay off. 

Like a lot of things in TLJ, this decision seems to work backwards from desired metacommentary as opposed to in universe storytelling (the most charitable reading is that some of this is due to Johnson working from an earlier draft of TFA). The sequels could either have told a "Taran the Wanderer" style story about Rey's parents, established they were nobodies and moved on or they could have been part of a rich space wizard backstory. Somehow the sequels chose "let's have the films bicker amongst themselves about what the star wars nature of star wars requires." It's the worst possible option. 

Even if it didn't cost more than the GDP of a small nation, an opening like this would be an unmitigated disaster. The Flash is such a turbo-bomb that it makes this look fine in comparison lol

God bless the audience for not continuing to support these soulless, creatively bankrupt, corporate cash grabs. Gives me some faith in the future of the movie industry.

Edited by FunkMiller
  • Like 2
  • Heart 2

Damn I didn't think this would open similarly to pirates 5. Kinda sad to see, I thought even it wasn't all that great that surely Indiana Jones would have more excitement just in the brand than this. I guess Indy just doesn't have the same generational interest that some other older brands have, where people will come out in mass regardless of quality.