Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

30 minutes ago, John Marston said:

should have taken more influences from Top Gun Maverick and Picard Season 3 instead of the Star Wars sequels 

Indiana Jones already did Picard Season 3 before Picard did in Crystal Skull.

Edited by KC7

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm a black woman and Left leaning and I too am sick of Disney's obsession with the old hero with a destroyed life trope. The heroes don't have to be perfect but I'm sick of that plot line. It is beyond depressing. You can make your hero flawed without recycling that plotline yet again. Enough of that.

I'm confused, what recent Disney movies have used this trope? 

5 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Elemental…..

”Several markets saw increases including Korea (+41%), Australia (+39%), Germany (+18%), Brazil (+15%) and France (+5%) as well as Austria (+26%), Belgium (+19%), Switzerland (+12%), Malaysia (+12%), Czech Rep (+12%), Vietnam (+8%) and Peru (+1%)”

This is actually doing rather nicely after all the doom and gloom of OW. I guess word of mouth is doing wonders for it. 

Looks like it's turning into something of a mini-Coco with its performance. It's kinda remarkable how the world is embracing this after they totally rejected Lightyear

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Looks like it's turning into something of a mini-Coco with its performance. It's kinda remarkable how the world is embracing this after they totally rejected Lightyear

Probably because it has more of that traditional Pixar heart than Lightyear while still being colorful and fun enough for kids.

18 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

I was thinking of the state of franchises and IPs and Jumanji came to mind and I've been thinking, how on Earth have they not made another one of these already after how insanely successful the last two were just a couple years ago? Apparently they are working on another one but you'd think that would have a new installment ready to go by now.

COVID halted its development big time IMO and The Rock's schedule has pushed it back further and further. It was likely going to be his next movie after Red Notice was done in spring 2020 and Black Adam was done filming in summer 2020, and serve as Sony's big 2021 or 2022 Christmas release. But then both movies got their filming dates pushed back, with Black Adam now being the main movie he shot in 2021. Then his Seven Bucks company began working on Red One, which is some Christmas action movie set to be on Amazon, and he shot that in late 2022 and early 2023. And now the Moana remake is set to film this year and he's going to have another Fast and Furious spin-off starring him also getting fast-tracked. So a Jumanji 3 is getting pushed back further and further. That's not even getting into filming Young Rock for a couple weeks each year, doing his XFL/Teremana/other business ventures, all of which eat into his time.

Plus Karen Gillan also had Guardians 3 to film at that time, Kevin Hart and Nick Jonas are always working. It's a film that requires everybody's schedules to align with each other, and the busiest guy of them all isn't helping matters at all. By this point, Jumanji 3 will be like Night at the Museum 3 when it comes out like 4 years too late and nobody gives a shit.

• Like 2

Just now, Mr Terrific said:

At what year in history would intense movie fans have been just plain happy with movies?

When could have BOT have existed without angst about a bad present and worse future?

2002 maybe

20 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

I was thinking of the state of franchises and IPs and Jumanji came to mind and I've been thinking, how on Earth have they not made another one of these already after how insanely successful the last two were just a couple years ago? Apparently they are working on another one but you'd think that would have a new installment ready to go by now.

The law of the universe says that a Jumanji movie with these actors can't release away from a Star Wars movie. Until Star Wars gets its act together and gets a movie released, Jumanji can't release a week after it.

24 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Every plotline in every Hollywood movie is recycled and the hero journey is way more overused and yet everyone loves it. 

Because the “heroes journey“ is actually not a plot, it’s a story structure. 

• Like 3
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 5

How does the holiday work in the US with the 4th falling on Tuesday?

In Canada, we have Monday off for Canada Day, and I’m seeing some pretty consistent increases for Indy across the board today. Is it the same in the States?

Just now, DAJK said:

How does the holiday work in the US with the 4th falling on Tuesday?

In Canada, we have Monday off for Canada Day, and I’m seeing some pretty consistent increases for Indy across the board today. Is it the same in the States?

Last time we got this calendar configuration, Sunday drops were in the 10-15% range and then Monday also dropped in the 10-15% range and Tuesday again dropped in the 10% range. The reason is that Monday is not a holiday in the US, most firms will give people that day off but it's not officially a day off.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, DAR said:

As it was once said in a great movie, let the past die.  Kill it if you have too.

The same " great" movie didn't let the past die either  it basically did empire/Rotj in the end too . Just because it inverts some scenes and turns them opposite should not fool you.

Start of ESB  Rebel base is found and attacked by the empire - same for TLJ just changed names and locations

Luke's training and Yoda is a good teacher -  Rey's training. wait she barely did any training and Luke is bad teacher who can't face mistakes , subversion I guess.

ESB separates the characters in subplots - basically TLJ does the same.

Rey going down into the lake and seeing herself only in her reflection  which is foreshadowing for the plot twist which involves  her parentage  -

same for Luke going in the forest and fighting vision of vadar and finding it to be himself foreshadowing a plot twist to do with his parentage.

Luke tries to redeem vadar and does  - Rey tries to redeem Kylo and fails. Same structure but subverted.

Both throne rooms scenes identical just some subversion is done.

The true new stuff is cantonbite and the "high school drama btn paw and holdo that should have ended way sooner and just dragged the plot.

And yeah final battle is literally hoth. Jeez I wonder why would they have a generic solidier randomly taste the ground to tell us it's salt?? Did they think  would convince us it's not hoth..

"Its like poetry it rymes". Prequel did it too. 

starwars has been trapped in this repetitive cycle . TLJ is not separate it literally recycles the plot structures and elements of ESB/Rotj.

it wants to tell the audience to the kill the past and let it die and yet the very movie itself cyhens and poaches  from the past itself and won't let it die.

TLJ is not as smart as it thinks  it is"

once again TLJ was really never concerned with propelling the story or world  forward , it was primarily concerned with deconstructing what starwars was and is .

TLJ just like the rest of the sequels never really  curved out an identity for itself.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Cap said:

Because the “heroes journey“ is actually not a plot, it’s a story structure. 

Technically yes, but the way this journey is told via plotlines in the movies are all very similar as well. Both things are closely related in this cases.

The “old broken hero searching for his old glory” is also a base of the story structure in the LucasFilm movies. I think is a valid comparisson.

Nothing really wrong with what i said beyond switching the names, but my first language isn’t English so my bad.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Thanks 1

Columbia Pictures’ Jennifer Lawrence-starrer No Hard Feelings had a great hold in its sophomore session, dipping just 26% and grossing $6.5M from a total 54 markets. The R-rated comedy is now at $20M offshore, and $49.3M global. The best holds were seen in Netherlands (+23%), Germany (+16%), Belgium (+12%), Australia (-23%), UK (-24%), Italy (-25%), and Hong Kong (-28%).