Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

Mars Needs Moms has one of the funniest and weirdest mixed messages I have ever seen in a kids movie.

"Hey kids, if you listen to your mom, give them tons of love and respect and do what you ask them to do, martians will come and take them away"

As long as Elio doesn't teach kids stuff like that, it should do fine :lol: 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

@CJohn not that it really matters but don't you live in lisbon?

I live just outside of it, in an area around it (it is called Lisbon SouthBay basically, I live in Barreiro but the theater I go the most times is in Almada).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

I’m Portuguese too omg. Vamos!

I am the only Portuguese allowed here. I killed the last one that showed up here which was @MCKillswitch123, he isn't around to tell his story anymore.

angry family guy GIF by HULU

Just kidding, I am all love and no hate.

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

MCKillswitch is still around but he hangs out more in the Telegram BOT chat and doesn't come to the forums much anymore.

• Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am the only Portuguese allowed here. I killed the last one that showed up here which was @MCKillswitch123, he isn't around to tell his story anymore.

angry family guy GIF by HULU

Hide contents

Just kidding, I am all love and no hate.

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

MCKillswitch is still around but he hangs out more in the Telegram BOT chat and doesn't come to the forums much anymore.

Hahahaha I immigrated to the US in high school, but I’m a Lisboeta para sempre ❤️

2 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Hahahaha I immigrated to the US in high school, but I’m a Lisboeta para sempre ❤️

I have thought about immigrating but my girlfriend wants to stay because of family. 

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I think Elio will probably be fine where it is assuming BSV is delayed. ASV and Elemental are coexisting ok so I don't see why Elio and Panda can't

Ideally I’d like more space between Elio and Panda if the OW pans out to not be stellar. Either KFP4 moves back a week or Elio up a week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Last year, the second weekend of July had a total gross of 240 million. 

This year, the second weekend of July will probably end under 100 million, in the peak of Summer.

Theaters are dead and buried. Start the funeral already.

See you on July 21st. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Last year, the second weekend of July had a total gross of 240 million. 

This year, the second weekend of July will probably end under 100 million, in the peak of Summer.

Theaters are dead and buried. Start the funeral already.

Last year, Easter weekend grossed $105M, this year $200M+, so … 

One specific weekend does not prove anything one way or another. Flash tanked, Elemental opened soft but is going to fly past Lightyear with legs, and otherwise studios basically cleared a path for Indy both the weekend before and after … only to see it be weak too, and dip the entire box office down for 2-3 weeks 

Yeah, this summer will be down overall vs last year, but in July we’ve got Barbenheimer (probably) going to combine to open and gross above Thor, plus MI7 > Nope, Haunted Mansion > Super Pets, and TMNT + Meg 2 > Bullet Train. So it’s not all doom and gloom 

Edited by M37
  • Like 3

Not exactly sure where this goes, but movio people dropped a crazy stat. In the past 5 years, we've seen a shift of 12 percentage points in favor of minorities/persons of color among audiences aged 12-25 (youngest demo they sample) (percentage of moviegoers stayed same during that period though total percentage of tickets sold declined).

We've seen something like this obviously in posttrak's data but movio's a different datasource which makes it useful to confirm.  

https://www.theringer.com/2023/6/30/23780364/gen-z-movie-theaters

not sure where this goes

edit: speaking of that, Is there a "generic state of moviegoing" style thread? I know there are corporate ones, films and weekend ones.  

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

Last year, Easter weekend grossed $105M, this year $200M+, so … 

One specific weekend does not prove anything one way or another. Flash tanked, Elemental was weak but going to fly past Lightyear with legs, and otherwise studios basically cleared a path for Indy both the weekend before and after … only to see it be weak too, and dip the entire box office down for 2-3 weeks 

Yeah, this summer will be down overall vs last year, but in July we’ve got Barbenheimer (probably) going to combine to open and gross above Thor, plus MI7 > Nope, Haunted Mansion > Super Pets, and TMNT + Meg 2 > Bullet Train. So it’s not all doom and gloom 

MI7 better outgross Nope. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

MI7 better outgross Nope. 

It absolutely should, I was just comparing by (approximate) release dates

When comparing types of releases, biggest delta between last summer and this year is going to be the nostalgia tenpole, TGM vs Indy, and not that anyone expected Indy to get close to $700M domestic, but not even reaching $200M ...

After Barbie I can't really see anything doing too well until maybe Five Nights at Freddy's (though it does look kind of silly and day-and-date release is gonna hurt it hard), or Dune Part 2. We have a depressing few months ahead of us.